Tiger Woods for the Ryder cup.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think the new, smiley Tiger will be a different animal in the RC to the tiger of old. His previous record is not going to affect how he plays, and i think their team will want him on board, and that will give him a boost.

Never smile at a crocodile
No, you can't get friendly with a crocodile
Don't be taken in by his welcome grin
He's imagining how well you'd fit within his skin

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I would be shocked if he isn't going as a playing vice-captain. The guy has rocketed up the world rankings, granted he's only the 13th highest ranked American (at 26 in the world) but I imagine by the end of the Fed-Ex he'll be higher again.

It's also good for golf, TV, the sponsors etc. and I acknowledge the comment that Furyk won't be swayed by this as he just wants a winning team, but I've seen Happy Gilmore, when the viewing needle spikes..... he'll be in. Plus he can justify picking him, so if USA lose the RC the excuses are already there and reasonable; if they lose and Tiger isn't selected, that will be more difficult to justify (who loves Xander, Cantlay, Simpson, DeChambeau etc.) and people will be less forgiving.

Also, the golfing world is different now. Guys like Spieth, Koepka, DJ, Thomas all grew up with him as their golfing inspiration / aspiration - not the FC machine that meant you were never winning. These guys have a different relationship dynamic so it's not like before. If anything, it's Mickelson I'd be dumping!