Tiger Woods for the Ryder cup.

D

Deleted member 16999

Tiger was at the last Ryder Cup as a vice-captain and is going again this year as a vice-captain, whether he goes as a player will be down to Furyk, all the talk about his attitude was dropped years ago, the US players said his influence and help was huge in 2016.
Let’s hope he goes as a player and concentrates on himself.

D

Deleted member 15344

No doubt. Tiger is in. He also has influence with Furyk in regards to the other picks and the man he wants in the team with him is Bryson DeChambeau. They'll partner up and they're very similar in the way they look at the game, they play a lot of practice rounds together. I think they'll be a good partnership personally. So I'm fairly certain the 4 picks will be:

Tiger
Bryson
Mickelson
Kuchar

The only one there's a tiny bit of doubt with is Kuchar - they may want to pick one of the young guns instead - a guy like Finau or Schauffele or Cantlay.

The Europeans will be queuing up to play a partnership of Woods and DeChambau at Paris national - I couldn’t fit of a more mismatched pair than those two

If Woods is to play then you would need to a steady head , someone relaxed -Finau actually would be perfect and DeChambeu would work with an older wiser head - Kuchar

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Europeans will be queuing up to play a partnership of Woods and DeChambau at Paris national - I couldn’t fit of a more mismatched pair than those two

If Woods is to play then you would need to a steady head , someone relaxed -Finau actually would be perfect and DeChambeu would work with an older wiser head - Kuchar

They would be a great Foursomes partnership. They play practice rounds together at every event theyre both there and play loads together outside of tournaments. They look at the game in a very similar way, they’re both incredibly detailed with their preparation and their approaches to the game. They also play the same ball. How are they possibly mismatched?

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tigers RC record especially in foresomes and fourball is not good and that goes back to his glory days. Good individual player, not so good as a team player.

It's not great but it's not necessarily on Tiger, the whole American team for that period couldn't get the team feel. You see how Mickelsons record which was appalling has improved now they've had some success and the youth have come through and see it as an important and enjoyable event.

Strength in depth and Tiger being a pick also allow him to not be picked for foursomes, and given his singles record is very good and the level of birdies then that's a formidable opponent. I appreciate the quality of presidents cup has been weaker over the years but he's got a stronger record in that which suggests that the team thing is blown up more than he should be.

Saying that I do think Europe will sneak it again so Tiger may lose another one, but it won't be because of him, it will just be one team played better on the weekend.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Jim Furyk when asked has said more or less " the players picked will be the ones that get the job done". Not definate yes or no from him.

D

Deleted member 15344

They would be a great Foursomes partnership. They play practice rounds together at every event theyre both there and play loads together outside of tournaments. They look at the game in a very similar way, they’re both incredibly detailed with their preparation and their approaches to the game. They also play the same ball. How are they possibly mismatched?

It’s foursomes and you need a steady player within the pair and neither Woods or DeChambeu are steady - in fact the total opposite , they are similar - very similar, Woods has been having issues with his driving , DeChambeu has had issues under pressure from the tee as well , neither of them have that ability just to be a bit boring and be sure. It’s why Woods best partnerships were with people like Furyk or O Meara - just a nice quiet calm person. As a European I would be delighted if they pick DeChambeu and then over the moon if they put him with Woods.

Ryder Cup is a whole different ball game than practise rounds at singles comps - there is a reason why players like Donald , Westwood , Monty , Langer etc were superb Ryder Cup and foursome players - they were that steady boring influence. The Garcia/Donald partnership perfect example of two opposites in Foursomes connecting

If Furyk plays people like Woods and DeChambeu together then it’s going back to the days of before Love when the just put name pairs together

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hopefully he plays. Especially the foursomes. Would like to see him paired with Mickleson - see how genuine their new found friendship (charade / PR stunt) is...

Agree with the other poster who said it might be bettter for us if he plays so he fcusses fully on himself and not just as a vice captain.

Going to be a tough ask for us this year I feel

D

Deleted member 1418

I think he'll be picked as his form merits it. But why do people think he'll play foursomes? You do realise that is alternate shots right? He cannot drive the ball straight enough for that format!! Fourball yes as his wayward shots won't matter as he'll have a partner; and he will still make plenty of birdies anyway.

And personally don't think he will play 36 holes in a day. If picked he'll play once a day to keep him fresh for singles.

As for wildcard, Furyk will pick Zach Johnson as he's reliable and can handle the pressure. Will not be surprised to see Mickelsen not in the team. He'll be a VC.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Hopefully he plays. Especially the foursomes. Would like to see him paired with Mickleson - see how genuine their new found friendship (charade / PR stunt) is...

Agree with the other poster who said it might be bettter for us if he plays so he fcusses fully on himself and not just as a vice captain.

Going to be a tough ask for us this year I feel

I was also sceptical about his new found demeanour on the course in regards to fellow player interaction. Not so much in that I bought it was false. He genuinely seems grateful to be playing again and relived that his fitness has actually returned, but I thought that if he started to content again then we may see a return to the single minded persona he once had.

On sunday, whilst in the mix he still seemed to be smiling and interacting. Maybe not as much as usual, but considerably more than he did in the past. Even the congratulation in gave Koepka seemed more genuine than we’d seen in the past.

I think he will I’ll be picked and rightly so. Mickelson, as has been mentioned would be a bigger risk imo. Woods may go on to score 0 points, but if he does I think it’ll be less a continuation of his previous form (when he certainly prioritised his own career).

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think the new, smiley Tiger will be a different animal in the RC to the tiger of old. His previous record is not going to affect how he plays, and i think their team will want him on board, and that will give him a boost.

D

Deleted member 1418

I think the new, smiley Tiger will be a different animal in the RC to the tiger of old. His previous record is not going to affect how he plays, and i think their team will want him on board, and that will give him a boost.

Plus the likes of Spieth, BK and Thomas have never had him on their teams before........and as such have not witnessed him contributing feck all when partnered someone!!! 😂😂😂

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

I agree, if I were having a guess. I’d have him paired with Justin Thomas. Before his latest comeback they seemed to spend some time together, I recall videos of him being at his house.

That imo would be a high quality pairing and ome much more worrying than Mickelson and woods together.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
But why do people think he'll play foursomes? You do realise that is alternate shots right?
Nobody in their right mind would pick him to play foursomes. I hope they do though as I want Europe to win!!

Will not be surprised to see Mickelsen not in the team. He'll be a VC.

I hope he plays too for the same reasons as above. If he's off his game it should mean a nice couple of points for us

Problem they will have with both Tiger and Phil is that they will be under commercial pressure to pick them both. If picked it will also then be difficult to rest them.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Plus the likes of Spieth, BK and Thomas have never had him on their teams before........and as such have not witnessed him contributing feck all when partnered someone!!! 😂😂😂

His partnership with Phil years back was a joy to behold :rofl:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Nobody in their right mind would pick him to play foursomes. I hope they do though as I want Europe to win!!

I hope he plays too for the same reasons as above. If he's off his game it should mean a nice couple of points for us

Problem they will have with both Tiger and Phil is that they will be under commercial pressure to pick them both. If picked it will also then be difficult to rest them.

i think that would depend on how they scout the course. If they think there are eniugh tee shots he can play without driver, the. Why not. His iron and wedge play has been as good as anyone’s recently.

That being said, I think he wouldn’t mind missing out on some pairings as he appears more team orientated now.