Tiger was doing 87mph in a 45 mph zone

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've lost 3, in separate incidents - albeit not immediate family. 2 of them were probably at fault. They paid a high price.
We don't know all the facts. He appears to have been reckless, but the only person he has hurt is himself, grievously. Probable permanent disability of some sort seems like a fairly harsh punishment for reckless driving. Can't see much point in fining or jailing him.
I guess the point then comes down to consistency. If the next person on the same stretch, having the same accident, takes someone out do you prosecute then? Woods didn't hit anyone but clearly that was pure luck. The precedent has been set by this has it not?

I get your point, it was equally made by the two guys who are police, ex and current, but it doesn't send a very good message out imo. Edit : just to clarify, the message is not the one being sent from here, I mean in the non prosecution.

Last edited:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess the point then comes down to consistency. If the next person on the same stretch, having the same accident, takes someone out do you prosecute then? Woods didn't hit anyone but clearly that was pure luck. The precedent has been set by this has it not?

I get your point, it was equally made by the two guys who are police, ex and current, but it doesn't send a very good message out imo.

I suppose the other factor is that we do not have details of existing precedent. If this is already the way that such offences are dealt with, to then prosecute Tiger contrary to actions taken in similar situations before would then take on a whole different significance with a whole other set of implications.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have lost a family member to a speeding Moron.
That’s why I think he should be prosecuted,
It’s a built up area ,he was lucky he didn’t hit anyone else or he would really be in big trouble.
He might not be so lucky next time.
Sorry for your loss
If you read my post I actually agree with your points.
My point is we all do it ,when we do we can probably say we are all lucky.
We probably put our own lives at risk and others at these times.

On a side note it also seems we are all in such a hurry when we get in cars,to much of a hurry to get no where in particular.
Look at the white van delivery driver under so much pressure to complete his round or a certain amount of drops,speeding everywhere and parking where he likes.
Cars so powerful 70 mph feels like 40

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

I get your point, it was equally made by the two guys who are police, ex and current, but it doesn't send a very good message out imo.

No, the precedent has not been set. Again, for this side of the pond, if you have a look at the CPS guidelines about the public interest aspect, that is covered. In this incident only Tiger and the car were injured/damaged. He clearly hasn't profited from it, quite the reverse, and there is no victim beyond himself & the car owner. In the event that someone was taken out, the question of the impact on the victim would come into play and I would suggest a prosecution is highly likely. And both these outcomes are consistent with the guidelines, if not apparently with each other.

If we are going down the consistency route, why does someone doing 35mph not get prosecuted, someone doing 36mph get a speed awareness course and someone doing 40mph get a ticket? All speeding, within a 5mph window, yet with 3 different outcomes.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Spot on. I often NFA’d single vehicle, sole occupant jobs even if there was a nailed on careless driving offence if the driver had seriously injured themselves. My rationale was always that - the courts couldn’t impose worse penalty than the driver had on themselves.

The only times I ever departed from that was if the driving history was such that a disqualification was in the public interest.

And I agree with those whose sympathy is maxed out. Woods is a fool.

Plus Traffic is weary. He's just lucky he's not had to deal with a traffic skipper!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, the precedent has not been set. Again, for this side of the pond, if you have a look at the CPS guidelines about the public interest aspect, that is covered. In this incident only Tiger and the car were injured/damaged. He clearly hasn't profited from it, quite the reverse, and there is no victim beyond himself & the car owner. In the event that someone was taken out, the question of the impact on the victim would come into play and I would suggest a prosecution is highly likely. And both these outcomes are consistent with the guidelines, if not apparently with each other.

If we are going down the consistency route, why does someone doing 35mph not get prosecuted, someone doing 36mph get a speed awareness course and someone doing 40mph get a ticket? All speeding, within a 5mph window, yet with 3 different outcomes.
That’s what I can’t get my head around.
5 mph over you get a ticket, 87 mph nothing ?

Mandofred

Visit site
This is why I've stopped riding a bicycle. Just too much of a roll of the dice. I had toooooo many close calls with idiot drivers who just don't realize how close they are to me.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry for your loss
If you read my post I actually agree with your points.
My point is we all do it ,when we do we can probably say we are all lucky.
We probably put our own lives at risk and others at these times.

On a side note it also seems we are all in such a hurry when we get in cars,to much of a hurry to get no where in particular.
Look at the white van delivery driver under so much pressure to complete his round or a certain amount of drops,speeding everywhere and parking where he likes.
Cars so powerful 70 mph feels like 40
Thank you.
Yes it’s a Jeckyl and Hyde thing
Normal people turn into lunatics.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
That’s what I can’t get my head around.
5 mph over you get a ticket, 87 mph nothing ?

But he hasn't got nothing; he's got a severely damaged leg which may never heal properly, he's effectively ended his own career, he has, in all probability, landed himself with a bill for the car and his medical treatment bigger than a fine a court is empowered to impose because I can't see his health insurance paying out, any vehicle related endorsements will probably be quietly cancelled. He has paid a penalty, just not one through the courts.

I can understand your frustrations given your personal circumstances, for which you have my deepest sympathy, but applying the public interest guidelines from this side of the Atlantic to his circumstances I can understand why he hasn't been charged. I'm not commenting on the rights & wrongs of it, merely trying to explain how it might be that there are no further charges. Had he injured someone else or destroyed a house, yes, throw the book at him. But to prosecute him given the current circumstances in the USA would potentially look vindictive given his injuries, and I'm sure that played a part in the decision.

Mandofred

Visit site
But he hasn't got nothing; he's got a severely damaged leg which may never heal properly, he's effectively ended his own career, he has, in all probability, landed himself with a bill for the car and his medical treatment bigger than a fine a court is empowered to impose because I can't see his health insurance paying out, any vehicle related endorsements will probably be quietly cancelled. He has paid a penalty, just not one through the courts.

I can understand your frustrations given your personal circumstances, for which you have my deepest sympathy, but applying the public interest guidelines from this side of the Atlantic to his circumstances I can understand why he hasn't been charged. I'm not commenting on the rights & wrongs of it, merely trying to explain how it might be that there are no further charges. Had he injured someone else or destroyed a house, yes, throw the book at him. But to prosecute him given the current circumstances in the USA would potentially look vindictive given his injuries, and I'm sure that played a part in the decision.
Wasn't this part of your post back on page 2? Iffff there is a pattern of this kind of behavior.....iffff there could be a continuing behavior of this sort.....there has been. This isn't a shot out of the dark....the guy has issues.

Yes....there is a part of me that just wants to get someone. Granted.....they are guilty (in my opinion) and I don't want the rich/famous to keep getting by with things just because they are rich/famous. Most people are really sick of wealthy/famous/influential getting the soft treatment when they (me) don't get the same rights. Amazon doesn't pay the taxes they likely should.....not their fault really...the system LETS them. The system shouldn't let them. Rich/famous people shouldn't get by with behavior that ordinary people can't get by with.....but they do. I don't mind someone being rich/famous.....I do mind if they get special treatment.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Wasn't this part of your post back on page 2? Iffff there is a pattern of this kind of behavior.....iffff there could be a continuing behavior of this sort.....there has been. This isn't a shot out of the dark....the guy has issues.

Yes....there is a part of me that just wants to get someone. Granted.....they are guilty (in my opinion) and I don't want the rich/famous to keep getting by with things just because they are rich/famous. Most people are really sick of wealthy/famous/influential getting the soft treatment when they (me) don't get the same rights. Amazon doesn't pay the taxes they likely should.....not their fault really...the system LETS them. The system shouldn't let them. Rich/famous people shouldn't get by with behavior that ordinary people can't get by with.....but they do. I don't mind someone being rich/famous.....I do mind if they get special treatment.

Aren't you personalising this a little? Its someone who has form. Its someone who could afford a bigger fine/jail time? Flip it on its head; what would be your preferred outcome be if you were a prosecutor/judge? Then try and align that with the sentencing guidelines/typical sentences for California. In reality, what you seem to be suggesting and what Woods will get is miles apart.

Two things; accept what the reality is for something like this. Secondly, put your pitchfork away, because that's what you're sounding like you are addressing this argument with.

Mandofred

Visit site
Aren't you personalising this a little? Its someone who has form. Its someone who could afford a bigger fine/jail time? Flip it on its head; what would be your preferred outcome be if you were a prosecutor/judge? Then try and align that with the sentencing guidelines/typical sentences for California. In reality, what you seem to be suggesting and what Woods will get is miles apart.

Two things; accept what the reality is for something like this. Secondly, put your pitchfork away, because that's what you're sounding like you are addressing this argument with.
Yep.....pitchfork. I can go with that.... Can I live with Tiger getting by with crappy driving/possibly under the influence? sure. Am I wrong to do so? ....ahhh...now that's the question....and at this point....no way to prove it one way or another. My opinion evidently differs from yours.....I can live with that. It doesn't mean I have to like it.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Yep.....pitchfork. I can go with that.... Can I live with Tiger getting by with crappy driving/possibly under the influence? sure. Am I wrong to do so? ....ahhh...now that's the question....and at this point....no way to prove it one way or another. My opinion evidently differs from yours.....I can live with that. It doesn't mean I have to like it.

Actually, my opinion probably doesn't differ a great deal from yours in what I think of Tiger and what I think SHOULD happen - I'd almost throw away the key. Where we might well differ is in the reality of what will happen and do I think it should be different. I accept the system does it xx way - no problem with that. And when/if it changes, I have no with that either. Should it be different? I don't care.

If you want to argue eugenics and abortion, yeah lets have a real good barney. Do I want to argue about California's penal code around traffic violations? Er, no.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Let's just hope he makes a full and Speedy recovery and gets back to playing golf and hogging the airtime as watching golf on TV isn't th same without him.

Get well soon Tiger or should I say G.O.A.T

Mandofred

Visit site
If you want to argue eugenics and abortion, yeah lets have a real good barney. Do I want to argue about California's penal code around traffic violations? Er, no.
Atta boy.....I love a good intelligent argument/discussion......I doubt Golf Monthly would approve though;)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He must have been ripped off his tits to crash on that curve.:ROFLMAO:
Dog ,cat or alligator on the road.
It’s the speed that’s the problem,45 you can stop 87 your in the trees.
Most people think they are better drivers than they are until something like this happens and you find out you don’t have the reactions of Lewis Hamilton.