Tiger v Phil

D

Deleted member 18588

Hasn’t Phil won a couple of times the past couple of years?
Won on a resort course in Mexico in 2018 and Pebble Beach set up for a pro-am in 2019.

Last won a Major in 2013 and last contended in Stenson's win at Troon.

A great career but no longer in Top 60 in the World Rankings.

D

Deleted member 18588

Yet you've posted 5 times on here :)
Yes because I would like us to be offered something a bit more relevant to the modern game.

Unfortunately the TV companies don't think that would have broad enough audience appeal so they give us this instead.

May be entertaining to some but as a contest it's a non-event and hence I couldn't care less who "wins".

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes because I would like us to be offered something a bit more relevant to the modern game.

Unfortunately the TV companies don't think that would have broad enough audience appeal so they give us this instead.

May be entertaining to some but as a contest it's a non-event and hence I couldn't care less who "wins".
Whilst i thought the first one was truely awful and crass in terms of the money and side bets etc - it was very false etc

But unless I’m mistaken is this not purely for charity and to raise money for Coronavirus relief etc - so maybe step back from the competition side of if and look it purely as a great gesture to help out in the awful situation right now

Can’t nothing to with it being a contest and it certainly will have appeal for a lot of people.

D

Deleted member 18588

Whilst i thought the first one was truely awful and crass in terms of the money and side bets etc - it was very false etc

But unless I’m mistaken is this not purely for charity and to raise money for Coronavirus relief etc - so maybe step back from the competition side of if and look it purely as a great gesture to help out in the awful situation right now

Can’t nothing to with it being a contest and it certainly will have appeal for a lot of people.
I am not suggesting for one minute that it should not go ahead and obviously as a fundraiser I hope it is an overwhelming success.

My one criticism is that it will inevitably be presented as a "showdown" thereby implying that it has some relevance in a golfing context.

No it is an entertainment event pure and simple and as such I wish it well

ferenezejohn

Visit site

Tell me any other 2 players who would attract a bigger audience than Tiger he puts bums on seats as viewing figure have shown when he is not in the field.
It's for charity so no matter who played it's not going to be over competitive.
About Phil's last major 2013, Rory's was 2014.
I just hope they spice it up by playing different format's during the game.

D

Deleted member 18588

Tell me any other 2 players who would attract a bigger audience than Tiger he puts bums on seats as viewing figure have shown when he is not in the field.
It's for charity so no matter who played it's not going to be over competitive.
About Phil's last major 2013, Rory's was 2014.
I just hope they spice it up by playing different format's during the game.

I have already acknowledged Tiger as an ongoing force in the modern game. Mickelson on the other hand is not.

Tiger is the draw regardless of who his opponent may be.

I just feel that as a golfing contest it would be more interesting to see him going head to head with one of the current generation who grew up with him as their golfing hero.

Koepka, Thomas, McIlroy etc;

Sadly it is not to be but, as I said, good luck to the event as a fundraiser.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I have already acknowledged Tiger as an ongoing force in the modern game. Mickelson on the other hand is not.

Tiger is the draw regardless of who his opponent may be.

I just feel that as a golfing contest it would be more interesting to see him going head to head with one of the current generation who grew up with him as their golfing hero.

Koepka, Thomas, McIlroy etc;

Sadly it is not to be but, as I said, good luck to the event as a fundraiser.

Mickelson is HUGE in the US, as he's got worse he's stepped up on social media and is even more popular than in his prime. He has huge calves and hits bombs, what's not to love? They are micced up and Phil is an entertainer.

The two "random" celebs: One is the greatest NFL player of all time..... The other won 2 superbowls for 2 different teams is arguably one of the best quarterbacks to play the game. Since retiring he has transitioned to the media and does very well and Is very entertaining.

Obviously this is not a golfing contest,it's not trying to be (there's normally enough of that). It's entertainment either loosen up and try to enjoy it for what it is or pull out a VHS of The Open instead!

D

Deleted member 18588

Mickelson is HUGE in the US, as he's got worse he's stepped up on social media and is even more popular than in his prime. He has huge calves and hits bombs, what's not to love? They are micced up and Phil is an entertainer.

The two "random" celebs: One is the greatest NFL player of all time..... The other won 2 superbowls for 2 different teams is arguably one of the best quarterbacks to play the game. Since retiring he has transitioned to the media and does very well and Is very entertaining.

Obviously this is not a golfing contest,it's not trying to be (there's normally enough of that). It's entertainment either loosen up and try to enjoy it for what it is or pull out a VHS of The Open instead!
Actually to many golf enthusiasts in USA Mickelson has become a bit of an embarrassment.

And as a regular watcher of the NFL for over 35 years I am well aware of the standing of the two celebs. Nowhere have I described them as "random".

I can assure you that I have no need to loosen up as you put it.

I didn't watch the first one and I sure as hell won't be watching this latest episode.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Actually to many golf enthusiasts in USA Mickelson has become a bit of an embarrassment.

I'm sure some would say he is. But he's is still a household name in the states and has 4x the social media following of Justin Rose for example. To have the reach he does at his age, with his recent form is incredible.

I would hazard a guess the people that describe him as an embarrassment are those that never change their shoes in the car park. But that's for another thread or two, golf is growing over there and dying over here. They are adapting and Phil is example of that.

I didn't watch the first one and I sure as hell won't be watching this latest episode.

You've mentioned it enough in this thread, that's cool, as I said chuck an Open VHS on, you obviously aren't in the target audience.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
No sign of this in the Sky Golf TV guide - anyone know if it will be broadcast in the UK ?

I thought that this one was on Amazon Prime but I could be wrong. Just been searching on google and can find nothing for UK coverage

Visit site
Well I for one will be watching. These two have given so much to golf, (taken a fair chunk out as well!), in fact Tiger probably got me started in the game.
My old man warned me, "never go near a golf course", he said to me in the 60s. I paid heed to that remark until about 1999. Best thing I ever did after having a family.
So, Tiger and Phil, turn it on for the TV audience please. There were so many who wrote Tiger off on this very forum before he won the Masters, I just hope he can do something similar in the future.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
No sign of this in the Sky Golf TV guide - anyone know if it will be broadcast in the UK ?

In the last Tiger v Phil match (which had the same host broadcaster) Sky Sports left it until quite late before picking it up and showing it.

I'd guess they might do the same and perhaps Turner are playing a game of chicken in the hope that multiple UK broadcasters will stump up some cash for the event.

I'd be very surprised if anyone other than Sky were to dip their toe in the golf market. Premier Sports are the outlier, but they'd probably make the decision that they are going to end up with a v small audience and this isn't a big enough event to pick up new monthly subs at a time when there might not be much live sport of note for a few months.

Sky could pick it up and get a reasonable audience and hopefully a bit of ad revenue.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As long as people like Murray and Trump are kept as far away from this as possible and the coverage is 100 times better than the weekend game then I'll watch. Both have done it all in the game and hopefully Sky will get it as not sure I want to pay for it I'm afraid.