Tiger Tees - History of the Term

Tmax100

Visit site
Hi guys

Newbie to forum here.

A question that's bugged me for the past week, and dispite internet searching I have come up empty.

My question is what is the reason for calling the Chmpionship/Back/Tip Tees of a course "Tiger".

I understand it long pre-dates Tiger Woods, and so the next logical question is did Tiger's father name him after the tees?

Thanks or any help

Tmax

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
my understanding- possibly way off- is the Tiger tees were usually so far back and usually a tee cut into the rough/trees etc that it resembled jungle territory, hence the Tiger reference. probably nothing to do with that but it makes sense.

Tigers Dad named him after a fellow soldier he served with in Vietnam saved his life and he said he would name his child after him............think thats correct with some slight tweaking?

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tigers Dad named him after a fellow soldier he served with in Vietnam saved his life and he said he would name his child after him............think thats correct with some slight tweaking?

According to the stories, this is correct. Something to do with a dodgy snake in the jungle.

But dont forget that 'Tiger' is his middle name. His frst name is 'Eldrick'. But that lacks a bit of 'je na sais quoi' imo!

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
According to the stories, this is correct. Something to do with a dodgy snake in the jungle.

But dont forget that 'Tiger' is his middle name. His frst name is 'Eldrick'. But that lacks a bit of 'je na sais quoi' imo!

I'm sure I read somewhere that he changed it in law so that Tiger is now his first name.

As for Tiger Tees, I was under the impression that like "Tiger Line" it is a reference to good players, who are "tigers" as opposed to duffers, who are "rabbits".

I remember at one course I played the back tee markers were painted yellow with black tiger stripes.

Tmax100

Visit site
Thank you guys for all the posts.

I like the first one about playing from out of the Jungle !!!!

This was a question I asked among some serious golfers - and to my and their horry nobody knew! - so now I can educate them!!!!

Thanks again for your time

Tmax

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Thank you guys for all the posts.

I like the first one about playing from out of the Jungle !!!!

This was a question I asked among some serious golfers - and to my and their horry nobody knew! - so now I can educate them!!!!

Whooaaa there trigger!:smirk: these are our educated guesses, could be totally wrong, I'd like to know the definitive answer as well now.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yeah, Eldrick makes you think that he should work in accounts.... :mad: