@those who have played the JCB

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Can I ask what HC you played off from which tees and what you actually shot on the day?

I understand some of you have played it more than once. What would be some good advise to someone shitting themselves who is in very bad form at present.

Having recently been to watch the LIV golf there I am already familiar with a couple of holes (1, 9, 17 & 18) however watching professionals play after a couple of beers will be completely different to playing it myself for real.

Looking at my current HC I will be off around 20 from the whites/yellows. It’s a betterball pairs tournament with quite a few prizes at stake and that’s about all I know at present.

I’m going to see if I can pencil in a few lessons and some serious range work before I play but I can’t help but envision myself putting it in the water off the first tee. I should be looking forward to it but anxiety is very high atm.

Last edited:

BillyGolf

Visit site
I’ve never played JCB so can’t help you on that one.

From reading your post, what I can say is just try to enjoy it!

You’re playing on a great course that a lot would jump at the opportunity to play. You’re also in a betterball comp so the pressure should be taken off somewhat as if you do have a disaster hole, which is totally normal for your handicap, your partner can hopefully score on that hole.

It’ll no doubt be a tough course, if you score great, perfect result. If you don’t, it’s not the end of the world and you’ve still managed to tick off a great course to play👍🏼

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd forget about your score, just enjoy the day and the round. I played a corporate day at Rockcliffe Hall, teeside, off the whites a few years ago and it was way too long for most of us there. It's a cracking course so I just settled back and enjoyed it. I doubt many people got over 25 points that day, individual stableford, and you can either beat yourself up about it and ruin your day and accept it for what it is.

Mentally move your scoring, see a 1 point as a par, a 2 points as a birdie. Honestly, you'll have a better day that way.

I'll add to that, if you get the option to play off the yellows, take their hand off. Forget ego.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I played it off the tee of the day (with the exception of the 18th where we played off the back tee). It was very playable but long due to it being quite wet so there was no run. The green complexes are tough with some evil run off areas.

Having said all that it was a great experience. I wouldn't worry about your score - just enjoy your day.

elmoag

Club Champion
Visit site
We played it off the middle tees I forget what colour they were we had a good mix of ability in our group and that was the right decision as the back tees would have been tough for a few of the group.
Its a great day out you will love it.

hacker_al

Club Champion
Visit site
When I played it there the course wasn't rated for WHS so we just used our club handicaps off the yellows. I can see now that I would have had five extra shots off the yellows..... it still wouldn't have been enough!
As others have said, just enjoy the experience. It's an amazing venue. Good luck.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd forget about your score, just enjoy the day and the round. I played a corporate day at Rockcliffe Hall, teeside, off the whites a few years ago and it was way too long for most of us there. It's a cracking course so I just settled back and enjoyed it. I doubt many people got over 25 points that day, individual stableford, and you can either beat yourself up about it and ruin your day and accept it for what it is.

Mentally move your scoring, see a 1 point as a par, a 2 points as a birdie. Honestly, you'll have a better day that way.

I'll add to that, if you get the option to play off the yellows, take their hand off. Forget ego.

I'd probably reframe it and say you're trying for 10 good holes given they are playing betterball pairs. Some holes will beat you up and the greens can be tough but it is playable. Get an OK drive off the yellows and you'll be looking to get some pars I'd expect if you're mid-teen handicap that's been pushed up to 20.

Practice area is lovely, and you'll enjoy the whole thing.