Those foam filled irons.....

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm talking about the hollow irons like TM p790s, Pimg i500's, Mizuno mp20hmb etc etc.

Does anyone play them and what do they think ?

Is it true that you get that crazy shot that for some reason just flies 20 yards further?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I had i500's and found them quite consistent but I got rid of them because the sound from the long irons became a bit tiresome.

Neeko1988

Visit site
I play p790’s and love them. I don’t notice any fliers either. Just really nice solid irons. Got down from 12 to 5 in just over a year too. ?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking at them I would say they would be a real candidate to replace my current clubs, if I could ever afford them. Thanks for bringing these to my attention!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had i500's and found them quite consistent but I got rid of them because the sound from the long irons became a bit tiresome.

Quite like the look of these, and a good couple of hundred quid cheaper than the mizunos. Did they sound different to the short irons ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Quite like the look of these, and a good couple of hundred quid cheaper than the mizunos. Did they sound different to the short irons ?
I got fitted using the 7i and it was OK but the 'ting' was more noticeable on the longer irons. Great clubs if the sound isn't an issue for you ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I have the original P790's and not once have I had a flyer of 20 yards. Yes my 7 iron goes about 160 and my 5 iron, on a calm day, goes about 185 but I haven't felt them to be erratic on distance

D

Deleted member 1147

I have a mizzy 4 iron & the Ping 2 iron.

They are excellent, in that not great strikes still go well.
Though I’ve never tried short irons in the hollow head irons.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I have the original P790's and not once have I had a flyer of 20 yards. Yes my 7 iron goes about 160 and my 5 iron, on a calm day, goes about 185 but I haven't felt them to be erratic on distance

With lofts of 30.5 degrees and 23.5 degrees that's about what I'd expect from my equivalent lofted vintage clubs.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think Jobr1850 has a set of HMB's.
Reviews seem to be consistent in that they are not particularly loud or clicky compared to other hollow clubs.
Certainly with the HMB's the feel is supposed to be more "Mizuno" than "Ping" if you get my meaning.
Eye-wateringly expensive new though....

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a mixed bag mp20 Pw to 7 iron and then 6 and 5 are HMB. The 6 needed weakening off by a degree and a bit, to flow through the set. There is a slight difference in feel at impact, more energy, more confidence inspiring for those shots. Noise is good it’s like a well struck blade.
I didn’t go HMB all the way through because they are strong, and touch around the green is better with a blade. My experience is the game improvement stuff just lacks feel for the pitching stuff and that goes back to the days I went from TP18s to Ping Zing2 irons. Don’t be afraid of blades, they are not like 30 yrs ago, they do forgive, they are short because they tend to be traditional lofts.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Whilst my handicap has gone the right way, my ball striking hasn't been as good this year so I am toying with getting something with a little more help.

I actually had a waggle with a g410 iron in our pro shop at the weekend and was very impressed how it sat at address. Im going to have to go hit a few post lockdown.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not current models but when TM first brought out the idea 20 or so years ago the difference was enormous 8 iron (in todays money) around 180 compared with my then 160 but so was the price so I never bought a set.