Thorbjorn Olesen - Arrested

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ambien is very well known in the US and there have been more than a few celebs who have lost it on Ambien, especially when mixed with alcohol at altitude. I think it was reasonably foreseeable.
Perhaps there should be some 'standard' questions/tests asked at check-in (or elsewhere) so that such possibilities can be avoided in future. I know I've been 'stranded' in one of Edinburgh's pre-flight lounges (waiting for Gordon Brown to arrive) for long enough to imbibe sufficient to be incapable of driving home after landing!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I apologise, but aren’t you sending some mixed messages here?

Plus I’m not too sure on your definition’s of punishment and suffered.

What about a shout out to the sexual abuse the stewardess actually suffered, I’m not too convinced she’s feeling that protected tonight and as others have stated his ability to pay for a top lawyer will of helped.

By all means we have to trust the British Justice System, I’m just not sure we should be looking at him as some sort of victim in all this.

I can’t see any mixed messages.

I don’t think there’s any question that he did the things that he was accused of, and therefore to me it seems like he should be guilty of an offence, even if he’s not guilty of the offences he was charged with. I’m not an expert though, maybe there weren’t alternative charges, or the CPS were sufficiently certain of a conviction for the harsher charges that they didn’t go for something lesser.

Again though, as horrible as what he did was, he’s been found not guilty of a crime. In that time since the incident though he wasn’t allowed to work for 12 months, and his career has suffered considerable damage. Don’t know if it is any consolation to the cabin crew members that were subjected to his indecent behaviour, but I do think he has been punished and I hope it is some consolation to them.

If he had been convicted, the sentence itself would have been nothing compared to the loss of his career. Maybe I’m wrong, I strongly suspect he’s learned his lesson already.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Disappointing for the staff involved and doesn't send a good message. Other travellers (not just the celebs) will see it as a green light to have a load of booze, take some pills and hang the consequence

I'd be really stupid if I lived my life & made decisions based on the outcome of actions by others

As kids we probably all tried this 'defense' to our parents when we're caught doing something wrong... but Jimmy did it!
And no wonder parents replied with... " if Jimmy jumped off a bridge would you do it too?"

Most of society will have left your rationale (in bold) firmly behind them in childhood

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

I can’t see any mixed messages.

I don’t think there’s any question that he did the things that he was accused of, and therefore to me it seems like he should be guilty of an offence, even if he’s not guilty of the offences he was charged with. I’m not an expert though, maybe there weren’t alternative charges, or the CPS were sufficiently certain of a conviction for the harsher charges that they didn’t go for something lesser.

Again though, as horrible as what he did was, he’s been found not guilty of a crime. In that time since the incident though he wasn’t allowed to work for 12 months, and his career has suffered considerable damage. Don’t know if it is any consolation to the cabin crew members that were subjected to his indecent behaviour, but I do think he has been punished and I hope it is some consolation to them.

If he had been convicted, the sentence itself would have been nothing compared to the loss of his career. Maybe I’m wrong, I strongly suspect he’s learned his lesson already.

The mixed message is in one reply you believe he’s guilty of something, in the other 2 you describe him almost as a victim, I don’t see how he can be both.

If they’d of gone for lesser charges and he’d of been found guilty then surely any punishment or suffering he’d of endured would of been his own fault surely?

And as Ethan had already put, this probably wasn’t his first rodeo.

He’s a very lucky bloke.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve tried, not very successfully, to avoid simply repeating myself!

The mixed message is in one reply you believe he’s guilty of something, in the other 2 you describe him almost as a victim, I don’t see how he can be both. I can’t explain it any more clearly than I already have and there’s no point repeating myself

If they’d of gone for lesser charges and he’d of been found guilty then surely any punishment or suffering he’d of endured would of been his own fault surely? But he wasn’t so it’s not relevant and I haven’t made any comment on that.

And as Ethan had already put, this probably wasn’t his first rodeo. That’s speculation, isn’t it? I’ve no idea if that’s true

He’s a very lucky bloke. Sort of, ultimately he’s innocent in the eyes of the law but he’s endured a rough 30 months that have cost him financially and mentally. On the other hand, doesn’t sound like there’s much doubt about whether physically he did what he did, so yes, I can see that view too.

D

Deleted member 16999

I’ve tried, not very successfully, to avoid simply repeating myself!
From your first post yesterday you have made it like he’s suffered, you mention mental health and others, aren’t you speculating just as much as Ethan or anyone else?

For all you/we know he could of been playing Golf everyday while laughing all the way to the bank with the money he already has, yet you tell us he’s had a rough 30 months.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From your first post yesterday you have made it like he’s suffered, you mention mental health and others, aren’t you speculating just as much as Ethan or anyone else?

For all you/we know he could of been playing Golf everyday while laughing all the way to the bank with the money he already has, yet you tell us he’s had a rough 30 months.

I’ve already made my thoughts very clear and I don’t have anything to add. If you don’t agree, that’s your prerogative in the same way it’s mine not to agree with your view.

D

Deleted member 16999

I’ve already made my thoughts very clear and I don’t have anything to add. If you don’t agree, that’s your prerogative in the same way it’s mine not to agree with your view.
I actually agree with the majority of your posts, what I couldn’t and still don’t fully understand is how you are so sure he has suffered mentally and been through a rough time whilst dismissing others thoughts on him as speculation.

I can see the financial loss from being barred from playing now he’s been found not guilty, but if he hadn’t been barred and allowed to play on while waiting to go to court and found guilty, the PGA would of been slammed.

Have a nice day.(y)

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find it interesting that nobody's mentioned the issue of non-prescribed drug use amongst "professional athletes" in this situation.

He's very likely not the only silly boy on tour.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I actually agree with the majority of your posts, what I couldn’t and still don’t fully understand is how you are so sure he has suffered mentally and been through a rough time whilst dismissing others thoughts on him as speculation.

I can see the financial loss from being barred from playing now he’s been found not guilty, but if he hadn’t been barred and allowed to play on while waiting to go to court and found guilty, the PGA would of been slammed.

Have a nice day.(y)

I didn’t say I was sure, it’s just an opinion, but in my mind a pretty reasonable one and based on how he was in tears in court. Others are free to have their opinion too and if that’s different to mine, that’s fine. It doesn’t make my opinion wrong or invalid.

The reason I didn’t want to comment on the “rodeo” comment is because I don’t think that suggestion is fair on olesen given there doesnt appear to be any evidence of that. I haven’t said anywhere that Ethan isn’t entitled to his view or dismissed it, Ethan and you, if it’s your view too, are absolutely entitled to make that assumption.

I agree with you on the being allowed to play point, it’s no win for anyone, and frankly, there’s only one person that could have made different decisions and avoided all of this altogether….

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I didn’t say I was sure, it’s just an opinion, but in my mind a pretty reasonable one and based on how he was in tears in court. Others are free to have their opinion too and if that’s different to mine, that’s fine. It doesn’t make my opinion wrong or invalid.

The reason I didn’t want to comment on the “rodeo” comment is because I don’t think that suggestion is fair on olesen given there doesnt appear to be any evidence of that. I haven’t said anywhere that Ethan isn’t entitled to his view or dismissed it, Ethan and you, if it’s your view too, are absolutely entitled to make that assumption.

I agree with you on the being allowed to play point, it’s no win for anyone, and frankly, there’s only one person that could have made different decisions and avoided all of this altogether….

People who deal with those who get drunk and/or high and behave like this rarely find it is the first time it, or something like it, has occurred. The defence of 'My goodness, I had no idea that mixing a bunch of alcoholic drinks and taking powerful prescription sedatives that were not prescribed for me then heading into a low oxygen environment would cause a problem' is a very large stack of Pro V1s.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
People who deal with those who get drunk and/or high and behave like this rarely find it is the first time it, or something like it, has occurred. The defence of 'My goodness, I had no idea that mixing a bunch of alcoholic drinks and taking powerful prescription sedatives that were not prescribed for me then heading into a low oxygen environment would cause a problem' is a very large stack of Pro V1s.

Yes, that’s fair. He’s certainly been silly, I’d like to think it’s a one off, but you could well be right ?‍♂️

Boomy

Visit site
Must get some ambien in for the Christmas period….

That way after the lads annual Christmas night out, too much beer (usually only about 6/7 pints nowadays), getting home at 4am and widdling on the cat before climbing into bed and snoring like a walrus with a cold I can say to the Mrs it was the ambien on the flight home from the pub that did it.

sunshine

Visit site
what I couldn’t and still don’t fully understand is how you are so sure he has suffered mentally and been through a rough time whilst dismissing others thoughts on him as speculation.

I think this was probably the crux of the court case. And the jury decided this was an isolated out of character event, based on the evidence submitted. Or at least gave him the benefit of the doubt.

D

Deleted member 16999

I think this was probably the crux of the court case. And the jury decided this was an isolated out of character event, based on the evidence submitted. Or at least gave him the benefit of the doubt.
I’ve no doubt how his persona would of been portrayed over the last few years in court, but we can only go on what was reported in the media and from what I’ve read, listened too, his main defence was not knowing how the drink and drugs mix would affect him and he had no memory of what took place.

I’m sure the money he paid his lawyer was well worth it in the end and I’m pretty confident no defence lawyer is going to stand there and say their client isn’t bothered what happened and it hadn’t affected them.