Thinking of going Sonos - Persuade me otherwise...

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok, so we're 12 days away from the traditional Walsh family Christmas Eve Party and I'm in the middle of compiling a playlist suitable for all-comers. A large minority of us are Folk/Country/Bluegrass fiends and will be expecting a decent playlist. My wife and a small majority will be expecting Micky Bubbles (sp) Christmas special.

So, I'm looking to put a Sonos 5 and Sonos 1 together and have 2 separate music zones. Both controllable from either my iPhone or the laptop.. Does anyone have any issues with the current Sonos line up. Is the Bose system better? I currently use a Bose dock but its hardwired not WiFi..

Suggestions please...:thup:

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I bought a Sonos for my misses earlier in the year thinking it would run from her playlist on her ipod. What I wasn't told is you need your playlist on some other device, this meant the laptop had to be on and the ipod was basically just a controler.

Holty

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've no problems playing music that's on my iphone through the Sonos 1 we've got.

There were initially problems with some music that I'd downloaded from itunes that had DRM on it, but that was a fairly quick fix.

In terms of sound - Sonos 1 is alright, I wouldn't class it as amazing, but it does the job in my kitchen.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The Sonos system is VERY convenient and easy to setup. No network knowledge required, just follow the instructions. That is what you are paying the premium price for. The sound quality is adequate ( I'm very picky about that so others may call it good) and certainly good enough for non-critical situations like background music or casual listening.

Software is also easy to use and more or less intuitive, certainly the best on the market AFAIK.

I'm very pleased with the 3 zones in my house and would happily buy more Sonos boxes if I needed them. Their hardware is pretty well made if you can live with the rather functional plastic look.

So no, I can't persuade you otherwise :)

PS many places are doing a deal with a free 'bridge' which is worth having as it gives you more flexibility where you place the Play5 or Play1 boxes.

Ian

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers fellas. Looks like an early Christmas present for me. Now, how do I persuade the Missus that we've had it for years and she just hasn't seen it before? :D

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers fellas. Looks like an early Christmas present for me. Now, how do I persuade the Missus that we've had it for years and she just hasn't seen it before? :D

Exactly the same way Paul Nash is getting his lovely new Orka clubs from - he "won" a golf comp;)

So you can persuade her that you won them at golf, or pretend it was another online comp that you won

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Suggestion would also try Squeezebox, with optical out you can hook these up to any amp/speaker combo of your choice. SB radio's are a great solution for kitchen, bathroom, patio, etc Self contained but only mono sound although you can now pair 2 up and designate one to be left channel only and the other right.

I think Squeezecenter is a pretty cool system and can be controlled by any Apple, Android, Windows device pretty much. You can stream your own music to SB's around the house, or choose internet radio or even Spotify. Squeezecenter is still around but Logitech dropped support for it, their new offering is called Ultimate Ears I believe, sadly most SB's are not compatible with it.

S

Snelly

Hi,

I am resurrecting this as I am thinking of buying a Sonos system.

Any further thoughts from anyone?

Cheers.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi,

Cheers.

I bought the Samsung M7 at Xmas, gotta say its pretty good.
Haven't added any additional speakers yet but when I get some spare cash I will do.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi,

Cheers.
I've got a Play3 & Play1. and they are brilliant. I've got a napster subsciption which means i can play anything i want in addition to what is already on my phone(s).

If you have a lot of music on your PC then, you can just leave that on and access the database.

Couldnt recommend enough

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I ended up going with a Play 3 in the front room.. I run it from the laptop (and occasionally the IPhone). I can't fault it really. The sound quality is excellent. It's easy to set up. Big thumbs up from me... I'll be adding a couple of Play 1's shortly, just to extend the range (and really piss my Mrs off even more :D)

S

Snelly

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a Play 3 to try Sonos out and have been very impressed indeed. Really good although the Play 3 is not quite enough in terms of power to fill our lounge. I decided I would get a Play 5 and move the 3 into the dining room or kitchen but then Sonos emailed me today with an offer of 2 x Play 1's for £299. Consequently, I decided to go buy these instead as this is quite a saving, means I can have more rooms with Sonos but if we need plenty of sound, then just put all three in the same room and group them.

Very cool system. Love the app and even though our wifi isn't amazing at home, it has been faultless so far. Very easy to set up too.

Here is the link if anyone else wants to take up the offer. http://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop?&ut...ntent=hero-GB&utm_campaign=Q315-Bundle-Launch

Sonos - highly recommended.

Last edited:

alexbrownmp

Head Pro
Visit site
Having been a Bang and Olufson man since I could afford my first 'system', it took a lot to even look at other speakers until a good friend showed me his. The sound is excellent, not quite B&O excellent but for the money most people will be very happy with their purchase.

I went for the Playbar and Sub for the Lounge as the flatscreen speakers are quite awful on tv's these days, and two play 5's for the kitchen/living area

cant fault the quality for the price

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Looking at maybe a Sonos Play:1 - but does it fit with my wife's requirement - which is simple.

She listens to music on her iPhone through her Spotify account and wants to be able to listen to it 'properly' - in the kitchen - in the bedroom - in the garden - wherever the fancy takes her. So light and easily portable.

We do not have any such bluetooth/wireless units at the moment - so no legacy constraints - and may well expand into a 'system' in time - so best that the solution to her requirement is not a stand-alone solution that cannot be expanded or integrated with other units or components in the future.

Is the Sonos Play:1 a good starting point? It's not clear to me from this thread whether the Sonos Play:1 will work directly with the iPhone or whether you need a 'base' unit as well as the Sonos Play:1

And alternatives?

Fortunate to have the budget for the right unit.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Looking at maybe a Sonos Play:1 - but does it fit with my wife's requirement - which is simple.

She listens to music on her iPhone through her Spotify account and wants to be able to listen to it 'properly' - in the kitchen - in the bedroom - in the garden - wherever the fancy takes her. So light and easily portable.

We do not have any such bluetooth/wireless units at the moment - so no legacy constraints - and may well expand into a 'system' in time - so best that the solution to her requirement is not a stand-alone solution that cannot be expanded or integrated with other units or components in the future.

Is the Sonos Play:1 a good starting point? It's not clear to me from this thread whether the Sonos Play:1 will work directly with the iPhone or whether you need a 'base' unit as well as the Sonos Play:1

And alternatives?

Fortunate to have the budget for the right unit.

If I'm not mistaken all the Sonos units need mains power and are not battery operated, so by the sounds of it bluetooth speaker with a rechargeable battery might be a simpler/cheaper/more flexible solution.

I have a small waterproof JBL BT speaker which works fine for a similar use outside and is waterproof.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I have a Sonos speaker in the kitchen/diner (the £150 one not sure which model) and a Playbase for the TV in the lounge. Was going to buy Bose but preferred the sound quality of the Sonos. Using the Sonos app on my phone I play either radio or Deezer and can use each device separately or together. Love em :thup:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I have a wireless Bose Soundlink II. It takes some stick as it travels around the home and abroad. Cracking bit of kit.