Thinking of going Ping!!!

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Seen a few sets belonging to people and I certainly like the look of the Pings.

The thing that confuses me so far though is what is the difference between the G20's and i20's?

Also, am I right in assuming the dot thing has something to do with how tall you are, ie distance between the wrist to the floor?
Relatively high handicapper, would Pings be good for me? Currently swinging Mizuno MX's with mixed results.
Best thing would be to get a bit of info before trying out the Pings and laying out the obvious dosh required.
Is there much difference between the 15's and 20's?

Cheers.

T

thecraw

The "G" range is aimed more at game improvement although don't let that fool you as KJ Choi used them for a good while.

Try them and if you like go down the full custom fit route, its free and is probably the best CF company on the market.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The I20 aren't out yet but the I15 is a superb club. Not as chunky as the G15 or indeed the G15 but with a fair amount of forgiveness. The coloured dots related to lie (i.e. upright/flat) with black being standard. Try them and see for yourself is the best advice

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Before considering a big layout on new clubs maybe you should get your Mizunos adjusted for you. Mizuno are top quality clubs and I would suggest that changing to Ping will not address any problems with your swing.

Mizuno have a number of fitting centres that can adjust the lies, lofts and shafts on your clubs to make sure they are correct for you. I believe there is one at Snainton Golf centre in Yorkshire.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I was custom fitted for Mizuno MX200's. Couldn't get on with them. Had them for a year, never felt truly happy with 'em. I swapped them on the spur of the moment for a set of i15's that I spotted in the pro shop at Highwoods just after they had come out. Just picked one up, it felt "right" so I bought them there and then and don't regret it for a minute. Best clubs I have ever owned.
As pointed out above, the G range are marketed as "game improvement irons" and aimed at the higher handicapper. They looked a bit "clunky" to me so I opted for the i's, which are (supposedly) for the "better" golfer and are a little more streamlined. I don't consider myself a "better" golfer, but just preferred the look and feel of them.
If I do change at sometime in the future it will be for another set of Pings. I'm tempted to look closely at the new i20's when they come out in March. I know they won't improve my game but I love the lure of the shineys and enjoy spending money. So why not?
Ping have one of the best reputations around for customer service and you can have your clubs checked for loft and lie and altered if required completely free of charge if you send them back to Ping at anytime after purchase.
They are great clubs.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The whole range is very good. G10s, G15s, I15s, G20s and even some good value in the older models too - G5s, I5s. Plenty of choice. Personally, if you're a higher handicapper I'd stick with the G ranges. The Is do look nicer at address but are not as forgiving.

I've played G2s from 24 down to 11 and there's still plenty of improvement possible in my handicap before I'd even think about Is.