Struggling with any sort of consistency...... and questioning my coach,.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Over the last couple of weeks ive struggled to find any sort of form in my mid to long game, it got that bad i opted to bounce back to my old coach in an effort to try and get something sorted.

This pro originally diagnosed a couple of faults in my swing, mainly a very strong grip, quite a flat swing plane with restricted hip turn which he put down to having a straight leading foot instead of it slightly opened outwards, i did also have a slight wrist issue. After a course of lessons my swing become more on plane, grip was more neutral although a little strong, and things improved pretty well, i dropped from 20 to 15 ish and things were moving in the right direction. at this point their range underwent a major revamp which meant to continue my lessons i would need to move elsewhere.

after about 4 months things started getting a bit hit and miss so I moved onto a young pro at my club who i seemed to click with, quick diagnosis was a strong grip (again) and also a flat swing plane coming very much from the inside. it was with hes advice that we ditch the in to out swing plane as it didnt give me a save shot, i could get the soft draw, the massive duck hook or the big push shots meaning i never really had a safe shot as a go to swing. 10 lessons in and some personal bests as low as +6 & +7 in medals has seen me play some of my best golf, things went very downhill mid feb. poor consistency on strikes with generally very inconsistent results. As this pro hadnt been the most reliable it was a chance to pop back and see my old pro now their range was back up and operational.

yet again it seems the grip had got a little strong which he hes words were changing the angle of wrist hinge. he also said that id gone from one extreme to the other now swinging very out to in, with a "gay" loop at the top of the swing.. we first of all addressed the grip issue which had some good results, and the next was to try and get me into a neutral position during the back swing as he was convinced this was where my issues were coming from. he didnt want me swining in-to-out for a draw, or out to in for a fade, but wanted to work on being neutral so i had the flexability to play a fade or a draw. ok... logical so i was all ears,

He's info was that on the back swing, when my hands got to around waist height the club shaft should be in line with my feet, with the club head pointing vertically while the shaft remainded around horizontal, this shoult help get me into a position to create more lag in through swing. made sense..... the next point of reference was that then my hands were at shoulder height, the club shaft should be vertical and if any slant at all should be a maximum at 1 o clock... he said that we needed to work on getting the butt of the club pointing to the floor and not outside of the ball as this is what was causing the big hooks as long as we were keeping it between my feet and the ball it meant we were going to be swinging close to plane..

after him explaining it quite well and backing it up with video evidence back to back against my swing, it was clear that i was flat on the take off, before a big over the top cast in a way of trying to compensate the flat swing plane. try as i might with the 2 reference points that he has given i have played some of thw worst golf ever in the last 4 rounds, and im serioulsy considering backing out for a few weeks. but.... in an effort to address hes reference points i just called up a slow mo video of rory to try and restore faith in the pro and hes reference points that he has requested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sg-enFn6L0

In the above video, it seems at 15 seconds in this reference point backs up what he is trying to get me to do, get the club paralell to the ground, with the shaft inline with my feet... ok this restores some faith, but at this point he wants wrist hinge to start.

Now heres where it gets interesting, at 18 seconds the butt of rorys driver points straight at the ball, which would give the impression he is on plane, yet at this point my pro is saying that he would want my shaft vertical or at very worst from the view you have of rorys swing 11 o clock max, but if anything more between 11 & 12. the problem is people have spotted that once im in this poistion its very easy for 2 faults to come into play, a slight drop of the hands (im assuming) which is then causing a big hook caused from coming from the inside, or a big OTT case to get out to in, which is seeing some top class shanks that many a pro would be proud of.

The question is i suppose, is the old pro trying to get me to vertical at hes reference point 2... as i feel this is really causing me issues.

The only videos i have of my swing are from the cobra fitting, although im hoping to get a few at the range on thursday,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XE0KFzCtFQ

cheers for any help guys, its getting bad when the post needs to be this long, hope your still away.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am amazed you can hit the ball at all with all this in your head.....serious not flipant comment.

Second, if you are going to pick a swing to reference I wouldn't pick Rory's.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I understood it that to be on plane, when the shaft is vertical it should be pointing to the ball and when horizontal it points along (parallel to) your target line.
On the points inbetween it should point to an imaginary infinite line passing through the ball and target.

If he's trying to get the club straight down instead of pointing at the ball I can only assume that either I'm wrong above, or he's trying to take you to the extreme opposite of your problem and hoping you'll settle somewhere in the middle.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I understood it that to be on plane, when the shaft is vertical it should be pointing to the ball and when horizontal it points along (parallel to) your target line.
On the points inbetween it should point to an imaginary infinite line passing through the ball and target.

If he's trying to get the club straight down instead of pointing at the ball I can only assume that either I'm wrong above, or he's trying to take you to the extreme opposite of your problem and hoping you'll settle somewhere in the middle.

im assuming this too gary, but whats weird is obvioulsy every swing is different, if you look at rorys he seems pretty flat at the reference point 2, whle donald and westy and almost exactly where he is saying he wants me to be...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sounds to me like it is getting way too technical. I'm all for knowing where club is during the swing but I wouldn't let it become a dictating factor. My new guy explains what we're trying to do, shows me and then gets me to swing it. If I get it wrong he tells me where and why it happened but lets me try to "feel" the shot and the right position a lot more and work out for myself why it isn't right. It's more a case of hit it and then work out why it went where it did. A lot more intuitive and it means on a bad swing day on the course I can relax and not try and have 1924 swing thoughts to go through to work out why I'm chopping. I think if you speak to anyone I've played with recently, I'm swinging with as much freedom as I can remember and scoring better as a result

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
im assuming this too gary, but whats weird is obvioulsy every swing is different, if you look at rorys he seems pretty flat at the reference point 2, whle donald and westy and almost exactly where he is saying he wants me to be...

The one of Luke Donald you linked to above looks like he's only just 2 or 3" inside the ball at around 8 seconds.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
when my hands got to around waist height the club shaft should be in line with my feet, with the club head pointing vertically while the shaft remainded around horizontal, this shoult help get me into a position to create more lag in through swing. made sense......

Do you see that in either Rory or Luke's swings? or is the clubface pointing a little more 'ballwards'?

Steepening your backswing is to cure your out-to-in swing as it'll give you space to drop your plane on the downswing... but you gotta turn your hips :thup:

(people who swing too flat often get steep on the downswing and vice-versa. Better to concentrate on your shoulder turn and posture and let the club find it's natural plane in my opinion)

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
............. and I thought I was technical OS!

It does sound like information overload, I much prefer the feet together and slow rhythmic swings to feel that I am not swaying etc and this usually get the timing etc back on track for me. When your not brain addled from the technicalities then its easier to make small changes. A good pro will inspire you and only make a few well defined changes that are easily adapted to - at your level it shouldn't be that hard as I know you have sound basic swing that hits a good ball, yes, there are undoutably swing faults in there, but you shouldn't be in this sort of turmoil.

I suggest a range session with just an 8 iron, feet together, ball centred and play half shots without any attempt to manipulate the ball and I am certain that you will find your basic swing and can then look to move forward - good luck mate!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cheers for the input JO, Definately gives me some food for thought.

Part of me is leaning towards trusting the pro I've visited most recently as technically he seems more advanced in the long term plan, but the other half of me is leaning towards my other pro as he was developing a safety swing, on bad days I would only miss fairways right, but you could plan your l way around a course with that swing, a more importantly play to your hc...... As it stands my last 4 rounds have been 10 shots a drift.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cheers chris, it does seem I'm over complicating things. I played Thursday last week and with no swing faults and to be honest, the ball striking was back there it was just a tatty night with the flat stick

A few range sessions without any swing faults is in order, need to get back to the natural swing without the wristy flick and strong grip and I should be somewhere near natural to then start again.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers chris, it does seem I'm over complicating things. I played Thursday last week and with no swing faults and to be honest, the ball striking was back there it was just a tatty night with the flat stick

A few range sessions without any swing faults is in order, need to get back to the natural swing without the wristy flick and strong grip and I should be somewhere near natural to then start again.

Analysis Paralysis and I feel your pain and sore brain as I'm struggling with that at the moment. I took Chris's advice at the weekend having quit after 9 holes on the course and went to the range. Some very easy feet together swings started to feel a groove. I did then put my Micky Mouse head cover behind the ball and just tried not to hit him (he's my pal on solo rounds of golf!) and got some great results without actually thinking of anything regarding take away, position at top, start of downswing, holding some lag etc etc.

I'm reading The Inner Game and have to say it's the best I've read on the mental side of this game so am trying to follow the advice to shut my head up and simply swing and hit...

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds like a info overload. Think about how much time you have to practice and play. If you have the time, then develop the technical swing, if not then stick to the safety swing at it will most likely be more consistent.

The thing that worries me about some pros is what they are actually teaching. Yes they may know exactly what the text book perfect swing should be. But the reality is that we can't all swing like that. Even the tour pros swing it in their own way. Hands in this position, club parallel to this, but of the club aiming here at the start of down swing, blah blah blah. Can just be so confusing at times. Has Furyk not done well for himself over the years. He has a bit of a loop at the top of his swing and I am sure if you analysed it, you would not see the text book way of doing things.

I have a bit of a Furyk type of swing myself, but I have never allowed anyone to change it as it a natural swing for me, which makes it consistentish..most of the time:mmm:

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Oddsocks

I had similar issues where I had slightly flat 3/4 swing with a strong grip. My natural shot was a draw and I was prety consistent and accurate with my irons until I had a case of the shanks and went for a lesson.

Prior to the lesson I was happy with my swing, well the results of it however because of the shanks i needed to sort it.

Fortunately the pro didn't give me a head full of magic however the points he gave me, stand up straighter, keep my head still and change my grip to a neutral one totally changed the mechanics of my swing and gave me the worst 3 month golf you can imagine.

My guess is you need to go back to basics, however as the pro said to me when I was struggling, " if your grip isn't right everything else will be wrong." Concentrate on grip ball position and address and everything else will fall into place.

He always makes it sound so easy :rolleyes:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
information overload confirmed, head cleared (thanks to your wise words you big softies) and a decent score back in... just waiting to find out if it was a comp winner.

Chrisd---- the 8iron trick worked wonders...

Thanks
Happy-socks.