Thinking of buying a brand new set of golf clubs

Eas85

Visit site
Hi all, I'm just after some advice really.

I've been playing golf for about 3 years (I started when I was about 15 but gave up after developing a wicked slice). I bought a second hand set of Howsen irons, and I also have a Dunlop driver and a benross 4H which I can't really use. I generally play at about 50 shots over par (not including airswings) and I'm not really improving at all. I tend to top the ball a lot and even miss it a bit too. I'm aware of early extension and do try and stay down as much as possible but I've recently been thinking that my clubs are too short for me as I'm 6"3.

I walked into American Golf the other day just to basically ask if I needed longer clubs, which they said yes and without doing a proper fitting but looking at the chart on the wall I'd need something like an extra 1/2 inch on the shaft and +3 degree upright lie angle. I've been looking around at iron sets but it's quite difficult as I'm left handed. American Golf have 84 sets of irons for right handers, but just 11 sets for left handers. One of their cheapest sets are the Wilson D200 which on golf digest are stated as being a 'super game improvement iron'.

Is this what I need and would the D200's be a good buy?

Note that I've never had any lessons. I've been meaning to but now I'm not sure if it would be better to get new clubs and then have lessons, or the other way around?

I'd really appreciate any advice as I've been feeling quite downhearted with the game at the min.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Heyup me man and welcome to the forum. To be honest it is a bit like chicken and egg. Which comes first, lessons or clubs.
I honestly cannot see the point in getting new clubs ( yet) until you can actually hit it, and then hit it well. Which leads onto lessons, a lot of clubs do roll up sessions so you can have 10 mins or so with a pro. Rolling up with your own clubs will not be a problem. If you let folk on here know what part of the world you are from, you may get some advice of where to go.
once you have had a couple of lessons, then I would start looking at clubs. Buying new clubs now will not help your swing.
Good luck me man.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Personally I'd go for a lesson & seek advice from the pro regarding new clubs.
American golf COULD just try and have your trousers down.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
OK, tall people don't necessarily need longer clubs. But, most do, and you are probably in that bracket. I'm 6 2, and have played for 35 years. Back in the day, custom fit was for pros. It just was. I played for years with standard loft, lie, length. I got down to 12 handicap.
I changed to what I was fitted for, 1/2 inch longer, plus 2 degrees upright. May be came down a couple of shots. May be this was down to a better short game, GPS, more confidence, who knows.
What I do know, is that my 1/2 inch longer clubs feel way more comfortable to swing. I have tried swinging my older irons, (I have 8 sets, of all ages!), and ones that are longer than standard are easier to hit.

It won't solve all your problems, but you will know that it's not the club's fault. At your level, almost any club will do. Heck, guys my age had to learn with blades. If it's fitted for you, then it will help, a lot.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If I found myself in your situation I'd be looking at 'eBay' as the source of my next set of irons and if my memory serves me rite at 6/3 it'll be +1" and 2* uprite, I suggested eBay as the last thing you want to do is buy another set of El'cheapo irons and you can get a decent set of second handers for not much money if you care to take your time over it, Callaway X12/14/16/18/20 series would be a good place to start and all can be had for around the 150 mark for a good clean set !...:thup:

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
OK, tall people don't necessarily need longer clubs. But, most do, and you are probably in that bracket. I'm 6 2, and have played for 35 years. Back in the day, custom fit was for pros. It just was. I played for years with standard loft, lie, length. I got down to 12 handicap.
I changed to what I was fitted for, 1/2 inch longer, plus 2 degrees upright. May be came down a couple of shots. May be this was down to a better short game, GPS, more confidence, who knows.
What I do know, is that my 1/2 inch longer clubs feel way more comfortable to swing. I have tried swinging my older irons, (I have 8 sets, of all ages!), and ones that are longer than standard are easier to hit.

It won't solve all your problems, but you will know that it's not the club's fault. At your level, almost any club will do. Heck, guys my age had to learn with blades. If it's fitted for you, then it will help, a lot.

Oi, nowt wrong with blades, I've just gone back to an old set of T-zoids !...:thup:

Eas85

Visit site
If I found myself in your situation I'd be looking at 'eBay' as the source of my next set of irons and if my memory serves me rite at 6/3 it'll be +1" and 2* uprite, I suggested eBay as the last thing you want to do is buy another set of El'cheapo irons and you can get a decent set of second handers for not much money if you care to take your time over it, Callaway X12/14/16/18/20 series would be a good place to start and all can be had for around the 150 mark for a good clean set !...:thup:

Ebay is great but is there much chance of finding clubs that are custom like that, especially lefties?

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ebay is great but is there much chance of finding clubs that are custom like that, especially lefties?

You'd be surprised what's on eBay if you're prepared to spend a little time sifting through the crap, try 'left handed golf irons' as a starter !...:thup:

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd definitely have at least one lesson first. That way the pro can check out your set up and swing which will have an impact on what length and lie you will need. E.g. you could get fitted for your current set up and swing then have a lesson and find the pro suggests standing and swinging more upright or flatter. The pro can also advise about club type and shafts.

Good luck whatever!

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
the description you give as to your swing problems I would say lessons are the way to go first. Most pros have group lessons which are normally quite reasonably priced. Have a look at some local golf courses web sites and you should find what is available. As mentioned earlier, the pro is a good place for advice on getting new clubs.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have lessons first, no point in being fitted for new clubs if you don't have a reasonable swing to start with.

When I started 5 years ago, I have a choice between a basic set of clubs costing under £200 or a decent set costing £1000. I figured getting the decent set would be better in the long run but after a year I start having lessons and as my swing improved the clubs I had weren't suitable for my new swing so I ended up buying more new clubs.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I came to golf with a £120 starter set with a driver that had a spaghetti shaft and a broken putter...

I went for lessons first where the pro got me through the basics and set me off. I quickly replaced the clubs and got off to a great start.

The pro was the one who told me clubs came second, lessons first. Once I had the hang of it he told me if was time for new clubs. I never regret going lessons first, it gave me what I needed to find the right wood and putter for me at the start. Without them I could have bought a dud. I still have the same putter today.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Personally I'd invest some money in lessons rather than new sticks and get what you have working better first. What you experience in AG isn't unusual but in no way constitutes a fitting and you'd be better off speaking to a local PGA at a club or range and getting them to see you hit a few and advise/measure you accordingly. Just because you are tall doesn't mean you automatically need longer clubs and it will depend on things like lie angle