Things That Gladden The Heart

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Officially got the word the twins will be going eldests school in September

Offer accepted for both (had to make sure of that!)

Even better I've heard that their friends (as in sisters of eldests friends) also got in so they will know a couple of kids.. plus any from nursery

Wife is very excited, she will be able to take them to and from school as she works there

I'll miss that for sure doing school run but I've had a year of it, my wife felt left out

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Its truly shocking it's taken this long

Still amazes me people my age smoke. We knew the dangers

Think I’m a fair bit older. We knew the dangers 50 years ago but a lot more of our peers smoked. I was very much into sports, inc lots of training. We knew smoking impacted long term and wasn’t wise.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could have easily gone in the random irritations thread if it wasnt for the good samaritan.

Had to drive up to London today to pick a trailer up to bring back to Southampton, got there all fine, collected the trailer and 5 mins later warning light comes on for low tyre pressure. Pulled into a petrol station and its fully flat and pretty knackered. No worries, I can change a wheel, get all the kit out, eventually loosen the bolts with the tiny little bar you get. Jack the car up on the pissy little jack, but cant for the life of me pull the wheel off and I dont want to pull too hard incase I pull the car off the jack. Having a bit of a scratch my head moment, then in pulls a mobile tyre fitter. Took him a while to get out his van, but eventually he does and he can see whats going on. Literally 3 mins later, his air jack is under the car, weve got the wheel off, space saver on and hes torqued everything up with his torque wrench.

I offered to get him lunch, but he didnt want anything. Said he was in a good mood as his kid with autism had got into the school they wanted, then had a good chat as my Mrs is a SENCO.

Only downside was I had to drive all the way back to Southampton with the space saver on.

Surely with a trailer on the back you are limited to 50MPH any way same speed as a space saver.

Edit just checked it is 50mph on a single carriageway and 60 on dual and motorway.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Although I’ve never smoked a single cigarette in my life I’m not happy with the potential ban, I don’t like legislation for this kind of thing, who knows in a few years time it might be alcohol or Red meat, both things are supposed to be bad for you.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Although I’ve never smoked a single cigarette in my life I’m not happy with the potential ban, I don’t like legislation for this kind of thing, who knows in a few years time it might be alcohol or Red meat, both things are supposed to be bad for you.

Both of those can bring benefits tho

Smoking litterally brings nothing

Should have been outlawed in the 90s

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
:eek::eek:

The cost of cigarettes in the U.K. Mrs H’s brand is around £12.30, €13.55-ish.

€4.00 here in Spain. Can the Treasury take the hit on around £8.50 a packet?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
How much you reckon of that goes to the NHS to pay for the effects?
Apparently the treasury raises a massive £11 billion from the fags……

But it costs the NHS £21bill to treat the dirty tabbers 😝

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Apparently the treasury raises a massive £11 billion from the fags……

But it costs the NHS £21bill to treat the dirty tabbers 😝

assuming the figs are accurate:

Non smokers aren't immortal though
If every smoker never smoked, the NHS would still have to spend a similar amount of money on treating whatever illness did eventually get them... but without the 11billion 'income' to help offset

Schoolboy logic rools ;)

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
assuming the figs are accurate:

Non smokers aren't immortal though
If every smoker never smoked, the NHS would still have to spend a similar amount of money on treating whatever illness did eventually get them... but without the 11billion 'income' to help offset

Schoolboy logic rools ;)
Don’t let facts get in the way of a good story ….

There is a clip in the Yes Prime minister about ban smoking and it is hilarious