Things That Gladden The Heart

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
More of a weird random thought but made me smile nonetheless.

40 years ago I was woken in the wee small hours to a tapping on the bedroom window. It wasn’t Santa, it was the overhead phone wire that had snapped and come adrift in the howling blizzard that was blowing. We lived on the edge of the North Yorks Moors back then. Once it was light I went outside, stood waist deep in snow with it still blizzarding, and spliced the feed so that Mrs H could ring her mum and wish her Merry Christmas.

I remember how cold my nethers were, and my hands, but being thankful for having proper walking gear capable of coping with those temperatures.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Christmas lunch at friends today… they don’t drink, so did not take any wine with us.
Great food, good company… lots of laughs but not a drop of alcohol. Very weird one - first Xmas without a tipple.

Must say, I did not miss a drink.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like Christmas Day but Boxing Day tops it for me. The pressure is over, you still get a free pass to eat anything, and football is back 😄. Good day.

Used to be the same for me.. but mainly because I had my season ticket so got to go to the game, then was nans for dads side of family gathering which meant meeting up with my cousin

But then this year we are going to pop into nans with the kids after COVID put an end to that little tradition

My niece will be there aswell and it's her first Christmas so that's been lovely , especially as the girls are of an age to believe in the magic but also want to share it with their cousin

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I like Christmas Day but Boxing Day tops it for me. The pressure is over, you still get a free pass to eat anything, and football is back 😄. Good day.

I may have just cooked a mega fried breakfast. Mrs H has just put a turkey crown in the oven, we had lunch at friends yesterday, that will be sliced up for sandwiches for later, and a large bowl of chips whilst the footie is on. If Carlsberg did Boxing Day…

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not having a hangover after scuppering a half litre of Jack Daniel’s Honey yesterday evening. The stuff is like pop and I just couldn’t help myself.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not having a hangover after scuppering a half litre of Jack Daniel’s Honey yesterday evening. The stuff is like pop and I just couldn’t help myself.

A few months. Ago, I ordered a bottle of JD single barrel from Amazon… did not read the label before necking my first shot… flaming thing is over 160 proof …. (Otherwise good)

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I may have just cooked a mega fried breakfast. Mrs H has just put a turkey crown in the oven, we had lunch at friends yesterday, that will be sliced up for sandwiches for later, and a large bowl of chips whilst the footie is on. If Carlsberg did Boxing Day…
Well we cannot cook a fried brekiie as we have been in Sitges/ Barcelona for a week now and have had jamon/ croissant/ tortilla/ fruit for breakfast.

Passed a shop today and they had 2 eggs bacon and fried potatoes plus toast, fresh orange juice €6.50. Never have fried eggs at home, only poached, but really appreciated the change. Will return on Thursday

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Knowing that Christmas Day isn’t the be-all-and-end-all of Christmas as Christmas actually goes in until Epiphany (the day after 12th night) when the Three Kings/Wise Men turned up. Indeed some countries keep going with their decorations to celebrate Candlemas (2nd Feb) - presentation of the child in the temple.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Knowing that Christmas Day isn’t the be-all-and-end-all of Christmas as Christmas actually goes in until Epiphany (the day after 12th night) when the Three Kings/Wise Men turned up. Indeed some countries keep going with their decorations to celebrate Candlemas (2nd Feb) - presentation of the child in the temple.

The 3 kings fiesta on the 6th Jan is the big one here. Christmas Eve night is when the families get together and have a mega feast. The odd present is exchanged. Christmas Day is relatively quiet, although the Spanish are starting to celebrate it more. The of the 5th Jan is good fun but the 3 kings arrive back in Spain on the 6th and, wow, what a party.

We’ll be in the next village. The 3 kings arrive on horseback. There a 20-30min play in the square. Various stalls selling all sorts of crafts etc. A 20ft diameter paella pan. A 20ft diameter bbq wheel with steaks, chops etc. A few street bars, usually 20-30ft long. Various bands play from mid afternoon through to about 6am.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Cost me a fortune keeping the lights up til Feb 2nd. 😳

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
MiL had a turn while going to loo at 2am. Care Home called emergency, and ambulance was on the scene in a couple of minutes. A&E team were superb, then into an Acute Frailty Ward and again nursing and care teams were splendid…but we noted how incredibly busy everyone was, and the very long hours they were working. Mil should be fine…thanks in no small part to the care and attention she has received today.

But if I may be allowed a little rant, reflecting back on the day.

And yet, and yet…so many are so quick to criticise….and I despair for them - they know not what they do. They are already busting a gut for every one of us, every single day. Love ‘em - to all at Chesterfield Royal…you are doing a brilliant job.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Apropos the above. We had booked to visit Chatsworth House for their Palace of Advent celebration. Late afternoon the timing was perfect for us to have a break from the hospital as MiL was having a short sleep. 24 individually Advent themed rooms It’s absolutely fantastic - in the truest sense of the word. Stunning, and with the garden illuminations and advent themed illuminations on one of the facades reflecting each room one at a time, it’s very well worth every penny of the entrance.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always celebrated Boxmas. Christmas day is where I went and did what I had to, Boxmas was when my wife and I did presents and had the the people we wanted round for lunch.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lovely story on BBC breakfast this morning. @Tashyboy might particularly interest you in your role with the BL. A man, Steve Davies, who cleans war graves, war memorials. The story started with him cleaning graves on Jersey from the napoleonic wars but I think it has expanded from there. He has full permissions etc, cleans the stones, restores them, tries to contact living relatives.

He tells the stories far better than I have, others help who have had tragedies, it's therapy for them.

A lovely piece, worth watching on catch up for those interested. It was on around 8.15/8.20 - 8.30