Things That Gladden The Heart

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
My sister and her husband coming out to Spain, arrived yesterday. Not seen her for over 3 years… I let the male of the species down badly - I cried.

Some of our kids are due out next week… and we have a mega bash booked for 1st June. Over 50 people, food laid on + a singer. Taken over a superb venue with steps directly onto the beach.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My sister and her husband coming out to Spain, arrived yesterday. Not seen her for over 3 years… I let the male of the species down badly - I cried.

Some of our kids are due out next week… and we have a mega bash booked for 1st June. Over 50 people, food laid on + a singer. Taken over a superb venue with steps directly onto the beach.

i said it was party at yours a few weeks ago ;) Have a great time

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So there was me walking back to an empty house after buying the rolls for breakfast this morning - and with Mrs away at her mum's and a pile of family issues to deal with, well, I was feeling a pretty flat.

But then listening to a prog I had downloaded to my phone up popped this by John Carmichael. Now if you don't get this stuff then I suspect you may never get it. But if you do you'll understand why my spirits were lifted.

In my head and my minds eye I was with my mum having a great time dancing a Strip the Willow - and dad would be watching on chatting with his pals supping a whisky and half pint waiting for a Gaelic Waltz so he could take my mum up onto the floor. A few wee tears of sadness in my eyes as I type as they are gone - but lovely memories this music brings flooding to the fore and such gladness and gratitude for my glorious Hebridean and Highland cultural inheritance. And I am so cheered up.

BTW - if you've never danced a Strip the Willow then maybe stick it on your 'To Do' list. I can guarantee you won't regret it (though you'll be knackered when you are done as the band would play this set of tunes maybe 4 times :))

Last edited:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I fully understand what you are saying about music, it’s one of the great things about listing to music it can transport you to a different place and bring back cherished memories I’m glad it gave you a bit of joy this morning ?

Being English and living in Scotland and having been to many weddings here I don’t have your fondness for strip the willow ?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Takes me back to Primary school in Wakefield. We learned some English Country Dances and some Scottish ones.
When telling my parents about this they told me that around the time I was born, my mum and dad, Grandparents, and my dad's three sisters were all members of the Scottish club in Feltham where they would do all these dances. Dad's parents were from Aberdeen, but mum was Welsh.
I remember the Gay Gordon's, Military Twostep and Dashing White Sergeant. I think Strip the Willow was a bit more advanced for 8-year-olds.
Used to watch The White Heather Club on telly around that time.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I fully understand what you are saying about music, it’s one of the great things about listing to music it can transport you to a different place and bring back cherished memories I’m glad it gave you a bit of joy this morning ?

Being English and living in Scotland and having been to many weddings here I don’t have your fondness for strip the willow ?

Yes, know what you mean. Somehow, as a teenager, I became interested in some classical music, even though my parents never listened to it.
My interest has grown over the years and some pieces have had profound effect on me at various times. So many images and memories evoked, I'm so glad I found it.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Spent all day making a beef cheek Lasagne. Sweet lord mother Mary, Jesus and the wee donkey. It looks gorgeous. Just been told the grand sproggs are not here tonight so Ave started on the wine which was on sale in Lidl on the whoops counter.
Happy days and a night of rammel on the forum ???

Attachments

• 7772ED51-C1FD-4335-9C14-D01CC138F633.jpeg
    7772ED51-C1FD-4335-9C14-D01CC138F633.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 13

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Spent all day making a beef cheek Lasagne. Sweet lord mother Mary, Jesus and the wee donkey. It looks gorgeous. Just been told the grand sproggs are not here tonight so Ave started on the wine which was on sale in Lidl on the whoops counter.
Happy days and a night of rammel on the forum ???

Looks flipping scrumptious that (y)

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
My son played his first proper cricket match last night. He got a few runs, including a 4. Clean bowled someone and took a catch off his own bowl.

To top it off, it was the teams first ever win.

It’s the first cricket match I have ever had any interest in, and great to see this particular group of children having a great time.