Things That Gladden The Heart

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Surviving my first week as a cycle instructor in schools. At times downright terrifying as the standard of driving was there in technicolour for me to see repeatedly.

I am very risk averse and need to just calm down a bit rather than thinking that any minute a kid is getting knocked off their bike...
Is this similar to the old cycling proficiency programme Amanda? Also, is it a national programme or just done on a regional basis?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is this similar to the old cycling proficiency programme Amanda? Also, is it a national programme or just done on a regional basis?

It is similar but way more in depth and each group gets 8 hours total across 4 days (we instruct 2 groups each day). Day 1 is off road (usually playground) which allows us to instruct and assess their ability to ride on road. Then days 2-4 are on roads negotiating junctions etc. It is now called Bikeability and a government funded scheme which is national and costs the school nothing. The commitment is that every child in school will have access to this course and usually taught in Years 5 and 6.

The funding is passed from government to councils and they decide whether to appoint their own instructors or put the training through an accredited training company (one of whom which I now work for).

There have already been some rewarding moments - one of the younger ones going from floods of tears and terrified to being one of the most adept riders. Some very scary moments - one bike put together with things on the wrong way and loose handlebars. Oh another lovely moment "Miss, bikeability is my new most favourite thing to do"...

Offset by a driver today sticking two fingers up at me...nice!

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It is similar but way more in depth and each group gets 8 hours total across 4 days (we instruct 2 groups each day). Day 1 is off road (usually playground) which allows us to instruct and assess their ability to ride on road. Then days 2-4 are on roads negotiating junctions etc. It is now called Bikeability and a government funded scheme which is national and costs the school nothing. The commitment is that every child in school will have access to this course and usually taught in Years 5 and 6.

The funding is passed from government to councils and they decide whether to appoint their own instructors or put the training through an accredited training company (one of whom which I now work for).

There have already been some rewarding moments - one of the younger ones going from floods of tears and terrified to being one of the most adept riders. Some very scary moments - one bike put together with things on the wrong way and loose handlebars. Oh another lovely moment "Miss, bikeability is my new most favourite thing to do"...

Sounds great. I can see how moments can swing from abject terror to bursting with pride. Must be so rewarding.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site

That sounds great Amanda! My Dad ran the old Cycling Proficiency scheme when I was younger, have spent some years watching my older brother do it, I flew through the test with great pride. I also remember the Police being called after a driver nearly took a load of kids out when doing some road work! My friends and I still laugh about my Dad throwing his folder on the ground as part of our emergency stop practice, and those that didn't stop in time were told they'd just knocked his Nan over! :ROFLMAO:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got to say I am delighted with how these have turned out, 3 coats of danish oil to get the depth of colour I wanted and then a nice wax coat to sheen them.

Best part is I over estimated the amount of veneer I needed so have enough left to do another set of I fancied ?

Running the sound tests now and the balance is superb, Pink Floyd’s One of These Days sounds excellent with deep lows and clear, non-harsh highs.
EBA24EA3-30AB-4530-9A36-DF5F46AF2B89.jpeg05FCAA1F-122F-4A22-93E8-275C3CACF216.jpegB1A2D567-D514-4203-B639-3CF7572C6FED.jpeg

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got to say I am delighted with how these have turned out, 3 coats of danish oil to get the depth of colour I wanted and then a nice wax coat to sheen them.

Best part is I over estimated the amount of veneer I needed so have enough left to do another set of I fancied ?

Running the sound tests now and the balance is superb, Pink Floyd’s One of These Days sounds excellent with deep lows and clear, non-harsh highs.
View attachment 38642View attachment 38643View attachment 38644
Whenever I saw your posts about this I just think of you as Ron Swanson. ?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Finished a total redecoration of our lounge, inc reskimmed walls and ceilings (not by me); stripped and waxed floor (me); and repainted cast iron fire surround etc - and Mrs SILH is delighted with it all. Which is just as well as it’s taken me ages.

I read this quickly and thought you had been stripped and waxed ?

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

View attachment 38642View attachment 38643View attachment 38644

That is simply lush, especially the side-on profile showing the grain. Looks like a set of 1950s cricket bats together ;)

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
That is simply lush, especially the side-on profile showing the grain. Looks like a set of 1950s cricket bats together ;)

Thanks mate. Been wanting to build these for ages. I had an idea of what I wanted them to look like and sound like but finding the time turned out to be the tricky part.

Been building with Tineo (Applewood) veneers a lot recently and with Louro Preto it's fast becoming my favourite as it's beautiful just with an oil finish but also takes stains and dyes really well.

Being Scottish, I dunno what a cricket bat looks like :D:D

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Stepped on the scales this morning.

Looks like later this week I'm going to be the same weight at 61 as I was at 21. :)

Shame I can't still do 100m in sub 11 seconds. Golf handicap is lower though. :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
…that we are nice and cosy, with a grand view to the hills of south Skye, in our superb little modern studio accommodation in Broadford (it has featured in Grand Designs mag and is really neat), as bands of torrential rain sweep over us every 10mins.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
…that we are nice and cosy, with a grand view to the hills of south Skye, in our superb little modern studio accommodation in Broadford (it has featured in Grand Designs mag and is really neat), as bands of torrential rain sweep over us every 10mins.
Update…I do believe that we are about to see the sun come up over the hills into a blue sky…

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Bracing myself for a grocery trip to Sainsbury's and battle through the petrol queue only to find they had run out of fuel. Woo Hoo. Straight in.