Things That Gladden The Heart

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Had a lovely family day yesterday…lad down staying over while dj’ing at Rewind South in Henley, and Mrs organised for us with daughter and her bloke to go into London for a show - Sister Act at the Apollo (Beverley Knight superb); then dinner at The Ivy Asia, St Paul’s (thoroughly recommended). A special day…we’ll it is my Beatles Birthday today ??

It is a fantastic show, and a sgood as Beverley Knight is, the real star is Jennifer Saunders. (y)

And it's at the Hammersmith Odeon; whatever the latest owners try to do with the name, it will always be the Hammersmith Odeon. Billy Connolly says so. ;):D

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It is a fantastic show, and a sgood as Beverley Knight is, the real star is Jennifer Saunders. (y)

And it's at the Hammersmith Odeon; whatever the latest owners try to do with the name, it will always be the Hammersmith Odeon. Billy Connolly says so. ;):D
We did like Saunders in it, especially as she seemed to not try and hog the limelight - rather we saw and heard what we know of her comedic style pitched just right in the context of the show…with a couple of amusing (what seemed to be) ad libs. She was great…..and her singing (Rex Harrison style) was much better than I might have imagined it would be. That said Knight has some set of lungs…she can fair belt out a good tune.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
We did like Saunders in it, especially as she seemed to not try and hog the limelight - rather we saw and heard what we know of her comedic style pitched just right in the context of the show…with a couple of amusing (what seemed to be) ad libs. She was great…..and her singing (Rex Harrison style) was much better than I might have imagined it would be. That said Knight has some set of lungs…she can fair belt out a good tune.

Interesting that you mention the ad libs, we thought she threw one in right at the end and it corpsed Beverley Knight briefly.

Talking of Beverley Knight, she is one seriously underrated/underappreciated talent. We've seen her in the musical Memphis (written by Bon Jovi keyboard player David Bryan) and in The Drifters' Girl and also in her own right performing at the Royal Albert Hall. She's never failed to impress us.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Interesting that you mention the ad libs, we thought she threw one in right at the end and it corpsed Beverley Knight briefly.

Talking of Beverley Knight, she is one seriously underrated/underappreciated talent. We've seen her in the musical Memphis (written by Bon Jovi keyboard player David Bryan) and in The Drifters' Girl and also in her own right performing at the Royal Albert Hall. She's never failed to impress us.
Probably the same sort of one then..she ‘scolded’ BK over trying to ‘pitch’ her when they were singing together. But is was funny.

And my Mrs has a BK album from back then when…

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Probably the same sort of one then..she ‘scolded’ BK over trying to ‘pitch’ her when they were singing together. But is was funny.

And my Mrs has a BK album from back then when…

Yup, that's the one; more kudos to Ms. Knight then, because she sold it perfectly; the roar that went up from the audience was one of the biggest of the (k)night.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yup, that's the one; more kudos to Ms. Knight then, because she sold it perfectly; the roar that went up from the audience was one of the biggest of the (k)night.
What I think was fun about it was that Saunders very momentarily could be seen to come out of character for it..that she did that only very few times during the show was for us what her performance all the better.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
PXL_20220901_140604801_copy_1024x1365.jpg

Hired a beach hut for the day to celebrate nanny's retirement / birthday

Only downside is the kids slept too much in car and will now be up until 9 lol (edit 2100 eldest on right 09:30 middle 23:15 youngest on left!!!)

Oh well

Onto sea life tomorrow! Make the most of these last few days of summer holidays before we all go back to work for a rest

Last edited:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Getting my mega workbench in place in the new workshop. Had my eye on a new precision router insert, lift & motor set and just pulled the trigger on it. So my workshop centrepiece will be an 8' x 4' island with table saw, outfeed table, assembly bench and router workstation all built in to one place with tons of storage and all of the dust extraction hidden in the middle of it all (accessibly through a false cabinet door).

It's about time I finally got it done as I have a back-book of orders needing filled :D

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just got a HMRC letter saying I've overpaid and they're refunding me £57.60! Nice bonus.

I just got an email saying "important tax statement information - log in to your account to view"... ice shiver down my spine as these spell bad news 99.9% of the time.

Logged in, £123.23 over paid :D. Happy days and makes a nice change from the "you owe is a grand" ones.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just got an email saying "important tax statement information - log in to your account to view"... ice shiver down my spine as these spell bad news 99.9% of the time.

Logged in, £123.23 over paid :D. Happy days and makes a nice change from the "you owe is a grand" ones.
Yeah - when I opened the letter I thought they were angry at me because the wrote my full name out in capitals! :eek: