Theatre

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

wrighty1874

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We go quite often, although the last visit over Easter holidays I let my mother in law take my place as I didn't fancy Mary Poppins. It got great reviews and I apparently missed a great show. Our next visit is likely to be Mama Mia or Sound of Music.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Would highly recommend "Beautiful", the Carole King story. Fantastic singers, great acting and some funny comedy moments.

A pre-show meal makes it a thoroughly enjoyable evening!

I'd second that & add Sunny Afternoon, Memphis, Rock of Ages, Les Miserables, The Lion King and Motown the Musical to the list of recommendations. The only one that I ever regret wasting money on was the Billy Joel based one, Movin' Out. From Wikipedia;

"The show is unusual in that, unlike the traditional
musical, it essentially is a series of dances linked by a thin plot, and none of the dancers sing. All the vocals are performed by a pianist and band suspended on a platform above the stage while the dancers act out the songs dialogue, making the show, in essence, a rock ballet."

Which is longhand for pants. :angry:

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
Loved Lion King. Also very much enjoyed Les Mis. Phantom less so.
We've got a very very good theatre in Lancaster that has done some less well known shows over the years. Always enjoyable. The best ones being the Christmas family plays they do. High brow pantos I suppose. Kids love them.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Resurrecting this old thread as the subject hasn’t changed. For theatre goers.

We‘ve started looking to go to the theatre a bit more. We are not fussy whether musical, dance (such as Matthew Bourne productions) or play, and roughly take turns choosing what next.

Since Christmas we’ve been to the musical Moulin Rouge (wife loved it, me less so); the ‘scary’ drama 2:22 (both enjoyed it); and just on Friday gone we saw the National Theatre’s production of Neil Gaiman’s fantasy book The Ocean at the End of the Lane. It was both a bit baffling at times and brilliant - and visually spectacular. I had read the book so knew the story and loved it, my wife hadn’t read it but still really enjoyed the story plus the sound and vision of it. It’s touring UK and worth taking in.

Next up…in a few weeks time my choice (or was it hers…not sure) into London for To Kill a Mockingbird - looking forward to that - though after that it could be her (definitely her) choice - the musical Annie hmmm.

What have you seen of late and can recommend - or indeed warn against.

Last edited:

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I love the theatre. Just as well really as I’m technical manager in one!

Some cracking shows around at the moment, and as brilliant as the big shows are - go see some smaller ones. You have the chance to see the next big thing in acting, directing, design all across the country.

Although, having said that, the main thing on my “to see” list right now is Woman in Black, before it closes. And the last thing I saw on the west end, Cabaret. Which was an absolute masterpiece in performance art from the moment you step in the door.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Saw Pride and Prejudice (sort of) in the west end a while back. I think it's touring the sticks now, so maybe at a provincial theatre near you (I'm taking my mother to see it in Eastbourne).

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The majority of this thread seems to suggest that for most people 'theatre' = 'musicals'. Which is fine is that's your thing. And given that the last two things I've been to were Book of Mormon (was Ok, but an uncomfortable seat and a rubbish view rather spoiled it) and the opera (Magic Flute, brilliant) I can't really say much. But there's loads of other stuff. This weekend it's going to be '2:22 - A Ghost Story'. Has had very good reviews but it's just moved theatres, and was rather disconcerted to find that the lead has been taken over by Cheryl (Cole as was) in her first (?) acting role. Ah well, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt until I've seen it.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My wife saw this last week in Newcastle, really enjoyed it (y)
Cool.
I saw it the week before it shut in the west end. It was a bit of a thing in the press because it was an independent production that couldn't make money despite being good (and not a big name musical). I was saddened, because I made a mental note to recommend it as we left the show and then found I couldn't. Hopefully it reaches a big audience in its current incarnation.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cool.
I saw it the week before it shut in the west end. It was a bit of a thing in the press because it was an independent production that couldn't make money despite being good (and not a big name musical). I was saddened, because I made a mental note to recommend it as we left the show and then found I couldn't. Hopefully it reaches a big audience in its current incarnation.
It certainly sold out the night my wife was there, a Thursday so not even a weekend. That was also at the Theatre Royal, the main theatre in Newcastle. Hopefully that was a good sign for the rest of the tour.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I love the theatre. Just as well really as I’m technical manager in one!

Some cracking shows around at the moment, and as brilliant as the big shows are - go see some smaller ones. You have the chance to see the next big thing in acting, directing, design all across the country.

Although, having said that, the main thing on my “to see” list right now is Woman in Black, before it closes. And the last thing I saw on the west end, Cabaret. Which was an absolute masterpiece in performance art from the moment you step in the door.
We have seen Women in Black, and Cabaret - at the Kit Kat Club is most definately on our ‘to see’ list. My Mrs has seen Hamilton and would go and see it again with me..that’s on the list also.

We are fortunate in having New Victoria Theatre, Woking just half hour away (and Wimbledon not much further), and it gets many West End shows at the start of going on the road’. But we do enjoy a day out in London taking in the theatre.

We enjoy smaller venues. Next week we are going to Cambridge Corn Exchange for a show…its a band but it’s put on more as a musical.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I’ve never been fussed about going to the theatre. It just felt like I would be paying to see a very expensive panto.

Then the wife booked us to see Aladdin on Broadway in New Years Eve, and I was blown away by how good it was.

I think we’ll probably go see a few more shows. Although I was slightly taken aback at the cost of a ticket.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Frequent theatre visitors with HID and we’ve seen some awesome shows but nothing has topped the book of mormans. Some seriously twisted humour!

Beauty and the beast was very good, back to the future was also good.

We have 2.22 booked for her bird today in march so any feedback would be great.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The majority of this thread seems to suggest that for most people 'theatre' = 'musicals'. Which is fine is that's your thing. And given that the last two things I've been to were Book of Mormon (was Ok, but an uncomfortable seat and a rubbish view rather spoiled it) and the opera (Magic Flute, brilliant) I can't really say much. But there's loads of other stuff. This weekend it's going to be '2:22 - A Ghost Story'. Has had very good reviews but it's just moved theatres, and was rather disconcerted to find that the lead has been taken over by Cheryl (Cole as was) in her first (?) acting role. Ah well, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt until I've seen it.
We went to see 2:22 a few weeks ago in the Criterion with Laura Whitmore in the female lead, and I did wonder about her - being the previous presenter of Love Island. But she was great, and the play was great also. I think Cheryl will be fine as the part ‘simply‘ calls for the female lead to act the part of a paranoid and sometimes manic young mum ?.

I see the rest of the cast has also changed (they will be the fifth cast I think as they change it quite regularly for each new season …Lily Allen was the lead before Whitmore) but that won’t make any difference due to the nature, setting and context of the play. I won’t say anything at all about the plot but I’m pretty sure that you (and @Oddsocks) will enjoy it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ve never been fussed about going to the theatre. It just felt like I would be paying to see a very expensive panto.

Then the wife booked us to see Aladdin on Broadway in New Years Eve, and I was blown away by how good it was.

I think we’ll probably go see a few more shows. Although I was slightly taken aback at the cost of a ticket.
This was certainly rather how I felt about Moulin Rouge when we went between Christmas and New Year, given most of the songs have been updated for the stage production with much more recent pop/chart stuff replacing those used in the original film. Have to say though that it was still quite an experience - a visual feast and rather fun.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We went to see 2:22 a few weeks ago in the Criterion with Laura Whitmore in the female lead, and I did wonder about her - being the previous presenter of Love Island. But she was great, and the play was great also. I think Cheryl will be fine as the part ‘simply‘ calls for the female lead to act the part of a paranoid and sometimes manic young mum ?.

I see the rest of the cast has also changed (they will be the fifth cast I think as they change it quite regularly for each new season …Lily Allen was the lead before Whitmore) but that won’t make any difference due to the nature, setting and context of the play. I won’t say anything at all about the plot but I’m pretty sure that you (and @Oddsocks) will enjoy it.

There was a feature about it on the local news last night. A few clips and an interview with wor Cheryl. It's her first acting role apparently.