The Unspoken Ones

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There are so many lists and posts this time of year about the best courses in the UK (and Ireland), across the globe and about our dream venues.

However as it is snowing and I'm in a grumpy mood, what about the real goat tracks you've been to. Those that you've paid your money at the start full of high hopes and walked off feeling cheated and robbed.

As a starter there can be only one. Step forward Lydd. I was really looking forward to this. There was a great bunch playing and I'd taken the opportunity to book a long weekend with HID so had even managed to get some brownie points. £25 deal for breakfast and a round. Seemed perfect. Even the weather was decent. Pleasantly mild and no wind with no rain forecast.

I pulled into the car park. 7 cars. Strange I thought for any club on the busiest day of the week. Alarm bells should have sounded when I saw the competitions board saying it was their monthly stableford as well.

We even went to the range which was empty. However you couldn't hit a SW as it flew too high and hit the roof which extended out and over the bays. Both MWJ and I must have scattered 4 or 5 balls each off the underside with our opening warm up wedges. The mats were old and frayed and laid stright onto the concrete. The balls were chipped and old. The range itself had some good targets including several proper sized greens to aim for at 100, 135, 150 and 170 yards

On the plus side the brekfast was top drawer. We played the GM card and were allowed to play off the whites and so set off. I don't think it would have mattered though as there was no-one to tell us not to use the whites anyway. If it hadn't been for the great laugh and close game I'd have been bored rigid after 5 holes. Soulless and desolate. Every hole is bland and lacking in character. To be fair the greens were a good pace but looked terrible although putted better than they should have. We saw four other groups the whole way round (on a Saturday). When we got back in at 3.00pm the kitchen was shut and no hot food (or drinks) available. The clubhouse was quite big but we were the only ones there.

It was like one of those old western towns in the films where tumbleweed blows through. Empty of character on and off the course. I couldn't imagine trying to play a medal in the winter with a wind howling off the salt marshes or with the constant drone of planes in and out of Lydd airport. Even the sheep in the surrounding fields were praying for mint sauce!

Food (we could get) 9/10 (brilliant all English and all the tea you wanted)
Initial impression on entry 4/10
Service 6/10 the waitress and the pro were friendly enough
Clubhouse, pro shop, driving range, locker room 5/10
Course 3/10 (although for putting the greens were 6/10)
Value for money 3/10

Would I go back - No not even on a freebie

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
That's the trouble with you Homer! you make the worst course I've ever set foot on sound like Augusta!!

Chris

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Lewes,.. followed closely by Hollingbury,.. followed closely by Tilgate Forest.

Lewes was the worst, side of a hill, uphill par 3's that are there just to make you walk up the slopes, cruddy 'links' bunkers that look like animal scrapes, bobbly greens... clubhouse that looks like 5 sheds pushed together... haven't really got a decent word to say about the place.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Ivinghoe. Without a doubt. A goat track to end all goat tracks.
A drivable par 4 that dives downhill 150 yards from the tee - so someone has to walk to the edge of the precipice to see if the green's cleared, then leg it back before he gets hit!
A dog-leg par 3 - I kid you not!
A crossover tee/green that scared the hell out of me. And its only a 9-holer so you've got to play them again!

Just horrible.

beggsy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
mine has to be a course 5 mins from me its a private course lofthouse hill built on top of a tip i have known people that have played there and have had clubs chipped when they have taken a divot with bricks just under the surface the greens are rock hard but putt very slow id give the course 2/10 club house and food 7/10

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only one round here and thats Wensum Valley. Complete shambles quality wise. Nothing wrong with the hotel complex and I guess thats what drags customers through the door but what a goat track the courses are.

The bloke must spend 5p a week on maintenance as theres never a groundsman around and nothing ever looks like its been cut or tidied. They even had the europro there and I watched a little on tv and burst out laughing watching the pros trying to putt and chip on the greens. Should have seen their faces , what a picture

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Ivinghoe is a bit special, and could be up there on my list.

Lewes wasn't as bad as JustOne makes out, he had an off day. Heck, any course where Smiffy can putt off the green into a bunker can't be that bad.

Played a course, can't remember the name but it will come, where every hole was a thinking hole. Couldn't hit my driver the whole way round. Even SI 18, par 5 had a ditch at driver distance. Walked off thinking this is junk. Just wanted one hole where you could stand on the tee and give it a rip. Nope. Whilst it is nice to plot your way round, there has to be a few holes you can have a go at.

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
JustOne,
Is this Lewes you refer to anywhere near the pleasant downland track with fabulous views that I've played and enjoyed many times?
Seriously though, just goes to show that one man's meat is another's poison etc.
Haven't played Hollingbury, though I did once work with an assistant pro who'd worked there before and told the tale of 'travelling folk' turning up with a few clubs between them, not really understanding the concept of a green fee, but everyone on the staff being too scared to pursue it too far. Or was that Waterhall? Can't quite remember.
As for Tilgate, finally played it for the first time last year and thought it was pleasant enough in the middle of the season.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm with you Jezz about Lewes.

Played it a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. Good condition, excellent views, and a good walk.

Was it the 8th green that was a picture of the month on ? last year's calendar?

Never really played a track that i would never go back to again but 3 spring to mind as really bad :

1) Wood Farm Essington - now closed - says it all really
2) Horsehay - Telford - thats near a rubbish tip land fill site
3) Wergs Golf Club - or as we like to call it for a laugh Royal Wergs
Its not too bad as a pay and play track and when our course is closed you can bet that ones open - a part from snow !!!!!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The oaks at wallington, course badly maintained, greens so long you could put with a wedge, rockhard bunkers full of stones and members that have no idea of standard golf rules or politeness. The longest round I have ever been on (2 ball in a buggy 5:45) following 4 28 h/c's and that's giving them a compliment.

Most holes were bland and boring

Course 2/10 - only because one par 5 I liked
Condition 2/10 - there was two nice kept holes
Members 0/10
Clubhouse 6/10

Just one what is it you don't like about Tilgate, apart from the barmaid who doesn't know her own menu I love the place. Punishing as hell in the summer, hard work in the winter

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just one what is it you don't like about Tilgate, apart from the barmaid who doesn't know her own menu I love the place. Punishing as hell in the summer, hard work in the winter

I too enjoy Tilgate whenever I play there, I don't know what James hates about it so much. Some lovely holes (OK there are a couple of duff 'uns) in beautiful tree lined surroundings.
Have never played it in the depths of winter so can't comment as to how it holds up during the wetter months, but if you pick your time to go over there, you won't play many better courses for a similar green fee.
The only bad things I have heard about the place are complete novices being let loose and not letting quicker groups through although I've never experienced this myself. For a municipal it is a great layout and I generally enjoy playing there.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site

I don't know what James hates about it so much. Some lovely holes (OK there are a couple of duff 'uns) in beautiful tree lined surroundings.

You know how much JustOne loves tree lined fairways.

:D :D

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gosforth in Newcastle,course wasnt great but the finishing hole was good we were treated like 2nd class citizens ,members jumping on at various point of the course in front of us,couldn't get anything to eat when we came of although the members were eating right next to us,but they were willing to take our green fees and let 12 guys drink as much as they want tho,wouldn't recommend it.