The Staffordshire GC

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That's a real shame, only played it once but a beautiful course.

Form a "Keep the club open group", kick up stink with your local MP, the local wildlife group, etc, etc.

Yes, will have a chat with some of the other members over the next few weeks, but knowing our local council they’ll approve anything, getting to be a running joke on the community Facebook pages!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
They are still taking Bookings for their Open Competitions. There is a mixed and I recall ‘Crazyface’ plays in Opens. Hope he has not booked or there could be problems, even irritations!

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They are still taking Bookings for their Open Competitions. There is a mixed and I recall ‘Crazyface’ plays in Opens. Hope he has not booked or there could be problems, even irritations!

Not just that, they have weddings there and they’re being cancelled too!

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just seen this today, I've got dual membership too, but I'm closer to Perton so play it more, but it was nice to have the option of the two. Always a shame when this happens.
The back 9 is superb if you time it just right in summer, looks beautiful.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just seen this today, I've got dual membership too, but I'm closer to Perton so play it more, but it was nice to have the option of the two. Always a shame when this happens.
The back 9 is superb if you time it just right in summer, looks beautiful.

I don’t know about you, but the dual membership seems like a bad business plan to me. Great for us of course, £10 extra a year for another course, but you’d think they could’ve charged a fair chunk extra. Even at £50 a year I think most members would’ve done it.

My father in law was a member at Perton, now he’s getting on a bit he only plays in the warmer months but goes a couple of times a week.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I don’t know about you, but the dual membership seems like a bad business plan to me. Great for us of course, £10 extra a year for another course, but you’d think they could’ve charged a fair chunk extra. Even at £50 a year I think most members would’ve done it.

My father in law was a member at Perton, now he’s getting on a bit he only plays in the warmer months but goes a couple of times a week.

It didn't even take me a second to think about paying the extra for both, complete no brainer.
Hope you get somewhere new sorted.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is my club, just received an email to say that they’re selling up to a local businessman, he has no interest in keeping it as a golf course and so it closes as of 3rd May.

Gutted is an understatement.

Update on this, apparently the local businessman is keeping it as his own private golf course for now, with future plans to put some lodges on there and host corporate golf, turn it into a premier golf venue.

Good. Luck. With. That.

Used to be the captain at enville, I’m told he wanted to increase annual fees there to 5k to get rid of the riff raff? They booted him out instead. That’s the rumour anyway.

It’s like ‘heat’ magazine round here with all the gossip!

The Lion

Visit site
This is my club, just received an email to say that they’re selling up to a local businessman, he has no interest in keeping it as a golf course and so it closes as of 3rd May.

Gutted is an understatement.

Tim I’m sad for you too. I played Staffs last weekend for the first time and really enjoyed it. The front nine especially was excellent! It really is a course which deserves investment - not one to be lost forever!

Maybe something will happen though?

As an aside, after playing I tried to get a club logo ball and marker but the shop was closed. I spoke with them Monday but the guy wouldn’t send them out. So just wanted to ask if you know anyone who would willing to do this? Obviously happy to pay for postage and costs etc, but time is finite sadly..

Thanks
The Lion

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tim I’m sad for you too. I played Staffs last weekend for the first time and really enjoyed it. The front nine especially was excellent! It really is a course which deserves investment - not one to be lost forever!

Maybe something will happen though?

As an aside, after playing I tried to get a club logo ball and marker but the shop was closed. I spoke with them Monday but the guy wouldn’t send them out. So just wanted to ask if you know anyone who would willing to do this? Obviously happy to pay for postage and costs etc, but time is finite sadly..

Thanks
The Lion

Hi mate, it’s in great condition at the moment, although still a bit soft in places on the back 9, which is my favourite stretch…14th is a lovely looking hole although I don’t always think that when I’m writing a 7 or 8 on the card!

Not surprised the pro shop wasn’t open, that side of things has always let them down. Countless times I’ve seen visitors trying to get in only for it to be locked!

If you drop me a PM with your details I’m happy to purchase and send.

Finally, clocked this the other day, all the equipment going up for auction!

https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/...dfdhCc-VwqoFwvYVONezgWaBR2aGARllTg39ntB8c086k

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Must take a certain kind of mindset to buy a course with a loyal membership and just close it down, casting aside the interests of the hundreds of people who enjoyed playing there and for whom it was an important part of their lives.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Must take a certain kind of mindset to buy a course with a loyal membership and just close it down, casting aside the interests of the hundreds of people who enjoyed playing there and for whom it was an important part of their lives.

Oh aye, he’s apparently not a very popular chap, generally.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I thought that some staff were being kept on and aiming to maintain part of the course but that contradicts others rumours/information.

Yeh, the new owner is keeping a couple of the green keepers on. The head pro is going to Perton, the others have lost their jobs I believe.

The Lion

Visit site
Hi mate, it’s in great condition at the moment, although still a bit soft in places on the back 9, which is my favourite stretch…14th is a lovely looking hole although I don’t always think that when I’m writing a 7 or 8 on the card!

Thanks very much for the info. I’ll DM you.
Not surprised the pro shop wasn’t open, that side of things has always let them down. Countless times I’ve seen visitors trying to get in only for it to be locked!

If you drop me a PM with your details I’m happy to purchase and send.

Finally, clocked this the other day, all the equipment going up for auction!

https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/...dfdhCc-VwqoFwvYVONezgWaBR2aGARllTg39ntB8c086k