The Staffordshire GC

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is my club, just received an email to say that they’re selling up to a local businessman, he has no interest in keeping it as a golf course and so it closes as of 3rd May.

Gutted is an understatement.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is my club, just received an email to say that they’re selling up to a local businessman, he has no interest in keeping it as a golf course and so it closes as of 3rd May.

sorry to hear Tim, going to a be lots more of this in the coming years sadly, another course round here going the same way soon if they can get planning permission

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s a shame. I used to live nearby, I only ever knew it as Swindon but it’ll be sad to see it redeveloped if that’s the plan.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That’s a shame. I used to live nearby, I only ever knew it as Swindon but it’ll be sad to see it redeveloped if that’s the plan.

Yeh, everyone still calls it Swindon. Does sound like it’ll be developed for houses, all those beautiful trees cut down, what a bloody waste. Annoyingly the owners are keeping Perton and focusing their energies/money on that. A much more inferior course in my view (currently have dual membership).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Have they given any rationale as to why they are selling and why to him in particular if he's no interest in golf. Will you be getting any form of payout like Wimbledon Park members got

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have they given any rationale as to why they are selling and why to him in particular if he's no interest in golf. Will you be getting any form of payout like Wimbledon Park members got

No rationale as to why him, there’s always been rumours that they wanted to sell to housing developers over the years, so I’m guessing it came down to money in the end. The current owner inherited it from his dad apparently and has no interest in golf either. They said in the email that the pandemic and rising energy prices have caused them problems. But the thing is, the place is heaving. I was 2 minutes late logging on to book a tee time for 3 weekend’s time, and every slot was take up until 11.40! I dunno. Can’t quite get my head around it, but ultimately money talks.

Can’t imagine we’ll be due any sort of payout, although that did happen at the nearby North Worcestershire a few years back.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Annoyingly the owners are keeping Perton and focusing their energies/money on that. A much more inferior course in my view (currently have dual membership).

Oof. Yes. That must sting even more, I remember Perton being built and it’s nowhere near as nice. I imagine the membership is busier there due to location though. ?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Oof. Yes. That must sting even more, I remember Perton being built and it’s nowhere near as nice. I imagine the membership is busier there due to location though. ?

Perton’s just very samey, it’s hard to describe 1 hole from another and they’re all very similar. Apparently they’ve spent 500k on Perton in the last few years, they’ve added a gym and a god awful adventure golf park, which is always busy and so you can see why, but if it was purely based on golf you’d pick Swindon/staffs.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
That's a real shame, only played it once but a beautiful course.

Form a "Keep the club open group", kick up stink with your local MP, the local wildlife group, etc, etc.