The shopping game

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Non golf bargains

As I'm very nearly an OAP, I tend to shop around for the odd bargain and today is no exception.
Tesco Pork Loin.....£14 for 2kg
Asda Pork Loin.....£8 for 2kg
Perfect for slicing up and freezing.
Tesco Nescafe refill... £4.40
Asda Nescafe refill ....£3.00

Asda delivery for me 👍

Last edited:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've recently discovered Lidl "Cooking bacon". It's £1.79 for 1kg. In the main supermarkets it's £2 for 300g. It can be a bit hit or miss in terms of what you get. Sometimes it will be back bacon rashers and other times it will be thick slices more like gammon so have to search through to find what you want. Admittedly it's not as good as butchers bacon but for things like carbonara or a quiche it's fine.

D

Deleted member 35504

Yes, great idea to share bargain food tips, it can add up pretty quickly.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Especially when Asda delivery can be as low as £1.50
Cheapest Tesco delivery is £4.50
your approaching pension age

Get ready to get off your backside and go to the shop.

I find some of the deals can only be had in store. Tesco stick up labels for clubcard prices.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If you like chocolate. Farm foods. Plenty of bars well under £1 inc milky bar gold, aero and milk Oreo and cookies

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Is there a difference in quality?

I had to buy some meat from Asda a while back and it wasn’t great. But I only have that one reference point.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I had to buy some meat from Asda a while back and it wasn’t great. But I only have that one reference point.

Pre marinaded meat their good at

Things like bacon is awful

Chicken isn't great

Same as Iceland

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
While most golfers opt for spiked shoes, some still do prefer a spikeless option. These golf shoes look and feel a little more like classic athletic shoes due to their flat rubber bottoms. Yet, they offer a good deal of traction within the sole to still keep you from slipping on a particularly sneaky patch of grass.
Yeah, but they taste awful.

Last edited by a moderator:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Ok, Heinz baked beans....
2x6 pack
Tesco...£10.50
Asda....£8

Heinz tomato soup
2x6 pack
Tesco...£11.25
Asda....£8
Granted, some things cost more in Asda than Tesco, so don't buy them. That's the game.
But in the few examples I've given, I save over £16.
And you haven't left your armchair 👍

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2x6 pack
Tesco...£10.50
Asda....£8

Heinz tomato soup
2x6 pack
Tesco...£11.25
Asda....£8
Granted, some things cost more in Asda than Tesco, so don't buy them. That's the game.

On branded products there is no comparison but on fresh meat Asda is shocking

Lidl is far better

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
2x6 pack
Tesco...£10.50
Asda....£8

Heinz tomato soup
2x6 pack
Tesco...£11.25
Asda....£8
I was asking about the quality of the meat.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You may think that shopping from the comfort of your sofa is great but I don’t want to be reading on the irritations thread about late deliveries, inappropriate substitutions, website crashing or anything like that 😄
I live 2 minutes from the local store and takes about 30 minutes to do the shop . It gets me out of the house and I can get exactly what I want not what some underpaid bored worker thinks I want so I will continue to shop in real life

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Each to their own - but I'm another who has a supermarket (Asda) 5 minutes walk from home. Delivery would be fine for dry & packet goods but for fresh meat, fruit and veg, I prefer to be able to choose my own. And walking down at a time of my own choosing suits me better than being in for a delivery slot. Some items may be (are?) occasionally cheaper at Tesco or Sainsburys (both reasonably nearby) or Lidl & Aldi (nearish) but the convenience of Asda means I usually can't be bothered.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've recently discovered Lidl "Cooking bacon". It's £1.79 for 1kg. In the main supermarkets it's £2 for 300g. It can be a bit hit or miss in terms of what you get. Sometimes it will be back bacon rashers and other times it will be thick slices more like gammon so have to search through to find what you want. Admittedly it's not as good as butchers bacon but for things like carbonara or a quiche it's fine.

I have been ordering my meat online from a butcher called The Meat Man. About a fiver for a 1kg of Butty bacon which is really good, thick slicked bacon (the sort where you only need one rasher in a bacon roll.

Has some pretty decent deals on other staples like mince and chicken as well as a few other bargains. Quality and delivery has been spot on so far (and the sausages are particularly good).

They also sell belly pork burnt ends which are great for when mates are round for rugby. Just stick a bag in the air fryer and they are so good.

Once I have dome my meat shop, I do the shop for the staples I need in Aldi on the way home from work. Seems cheaper than Asda and Lidl. More limited on selection but enough for what I need. Get my fruit and veg from the market or from the village market garden.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am not one for supermarket deliveries, my recipe planning brain does not work that way. I plan a week of menus in my head as I walk round. I also dig for fruit and veg and milk with decent shelf life which I am not sure that the delivery packers do. I will buy a bunch of fresh bananas and a bunch of green ones so they will last all week.