The Shire - tips and advice

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all

Playing The Shire on Friday, have never played there before, looks like a great course. But has anyone got any tips on how to play it or what not to do

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It is, indeed, a wonderful course. I've played there a lot, but not recently

Apart from the 'unlikely to be approved' 'Start on the 10th', it's really simply a case of 'be conservative'. 1st hole is an evil 135-150 ish Par 3 - 19yd deep green with water on 3 sides!

Secret to the entire course is to be conservative! Otherwise it will likely bite you - badly!

All Par 3s, bar 1 of the 6 are over water - though maybe only a scruffy ditch on 14. Lots of water in play - the original course it was laid over was known as 'Bogdown', so linked lakes (with pumps) at various levels were used to manage water. Greens are normally very good - Agro from The Grove has been a consultant for a while. Practice green bears little resemblance to course ones though. Rnge is OK, but maybe a bit small. Food and atmosphere in clubhouse is wonderful. Bangers and Mash of Penne Arrabiata are my recommendations. Shire Breakfast is good, but maybe a bit small and fiddly.

Only real issue is round time. Seems always to be 4:15-4:30 purely because of the potential for 'disasters'! So enjoy the scenery, company and conversation - it certainly beats working!

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Take lots of golf balls. Not expensive ones either...

It's a lot of fun, but as stated above, sensible is good. Be honest about your carry distances.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its a reasonable course, I played it most recently a few weeks ago in the hard dry conditions, it was tough as the rough was JUST off the fairway ( I mean deep rough), so as Foxy says be conservative and keep the ball in play.

The members were friendly + good facilities.