The Screw in TaylorMade R11's Sole Plate Snapped

glukemey

Visit site
Recently got an TaylorMade R11 Driver from a family member and took it to the range for the first time. Once I got there, I noticed that the red sole plate had been snapped off and left half the screw still in the driver head.

Are there any tricks to get the screw out? Or things to avoid? I have a set of drill screw extractors but worry it will damage the club.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Recently got an TaylorMade R11 Driver from a family member and took it to the range for the first time. Once I got there, I noticed that the red sole plate had been snapped off and left half the screw still in the driver head.

Are there any tricks to get the screw out? Or things to avoid? I have a set of drill screw extractors but worry it will damage the club.
Is there enough of the bolt to just grip it with pliers? Is there enough to slightly flatten either side of the bolt and use a spanner..

If it has sheared level it might need to be spark eroded.

glukemey

Visit site
Is there enough of the bolt to just grip it with pliers? Is there enough to slightly flatten either side of the bolt and use a spanner..

If it has sheared level it might need to be spark eroded.
Unfortunately not enough to drip it. It looks like there is a black collar around the screw as well which is blocking access (see photos on prior post).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would be trying to drill with a very fine reverse drill (ie one that cuts when the drill is moving in an anti clockwise direction) to get a pilot hole first. Then try a reverse action screw removing bit.

As a Heath Robinson measure you could buy the weight and glue it in place with epoxy glue.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I would be trying to drill with a very fine reverse drill (ie one that cuts when the drill is moving in an anti clockwise direction) to get a pilot hole first. Then try a reverse action screw removing bit.

As a Heath Robinson measure you could buy the weight and glue it in place with epoxy glue.
My advice too.