The sceptical caddie

B

birdieman

Anyone else see the hour long show on BBC last night about St Andrews golf, I found it brilliant, seemed to capture the mysticism and aura that surrounds the Old course in particular really well.
That caddie with the tache and 'attitude' was priceless slating everything from US players so called handicaps to GPS yardage machines.
Tended to agree with one old caddy who thought the scramble for the Captain's 1st tee drive golf ball in order to win a sovereign was slightly 'them and us'.
The enthusiasm of Lorena Ochoa was a joy and Hugh Grant's comment about the addictivness of the game was spot on.
We want more tv like this instead of the simply dreadful golf channel.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You beat me to it Birdieman. I saw this program and thought it was superb. I thought the mustachioed one was a bit "up himself" for my liking and I did agree that the captains scramble was a bit demeaning.
My favourite part however was the putting competitions on the himalayas. It was what golf is meant to be...FUN.
Some of the old ladies sayings were priceless..

"I made these homemade cakes with a heavy hand this morning"

DCB

Visit site
I watched it and found it to be some of the best golf related programing the beeb has doen for a while. A good insight into what goes on at the Old Course. The caddy was great entertainment, the caddy master, when revealing his hard time when he started was amazing. It's only a shame that there was no real coverage given to the other courses that the links trust operate.

Good viewing all the same.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I missed it too. But I suppose they had the cameras zooming in and out, and some music in the background, and the usual tabloid jounalistic presentation. Anyway I hope so, 'cos I missed it.