"The Rookie"

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

TheDoctor

Club Champion
Visit site
I haven't watched any of them but I saw this pop up in my Facebook feed and initially said not a chance, until I then later found out that it was only going to be a single hole

6 months intensive coaching and practice (especially if it is with the club required for the hole they are going to play) makes it entirely possible he could do it, especially if he gets a bit of luck and the pro doesn't hit a good tee shot

Have Ecco got new products coming out shortly?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the par 3 is not a long one then any golfer has a chance of beating Bjorn. The longer the hole the more the class will tell but on a short par 3 anyone can nail it on a one off. Good fun gimmick for the brand though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just seen GM tweet this.

A complete beginner is going to attempt to learn the game in 6 months with an aim to beat Thomas Bjorn on a par 3 at the Made in Denmark event this August.

It's run by Ecco, and there are already a few videos in the series. Seems like a great series of vids to watch!

Ep 1: https://youtu.be/M0SNdAbWxZ8
Ep 2: https://youtu.be/0x3e4w7wHsE
Ep 3: https://youtu.be/DEhdElAI1vk
Do you mean a par 3 course or just one hole?? If it's just one hole, what if Bjorn sticks his tee shot like a foot from the pin or something, then the whole process was for nothing since your man would have to hole it in one to actually beat him?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you mean a par 3 course or just one hole?? If it's just one hole, what if Bjorn sticks his tee shot like a foot from the pin or something, then the whole process was for nothing since your man would have to hole it in one to actually beat him?

On a one off hole the same can apply the other way around.

If I had 5 goes at a 130yd par 3 I would likely put 1 close, two somewhere on the green and 2 misses, push or pull. Bjorn will put 3 within 10ft and the other 2 within 20ft. It may be that my one hit is the close one.

To be fair, if it was a par 3 course then Bjorn wins every time. The other guy needs a punchers chance and the shorter the hole and the fewer holes the more even it is.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dear God, what will marketing companies come up with next! Drain.........

Maybe they could tell us that their club/ball/shoe/grips/accessory is the longest/best/comfiest/softest/technological and thats why 100%/80%/90%/most/all professionals use it... cos that line hasn't been used in a while.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm assuming its that really short 130 yarder with the ton of people behind it on the massive mound? Every chance the newbie will be able to make a par imo.

Sure they played it at less than 90 yards at some point as well.

Last edited:

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Saw this the other day - pretty cool marketing and an interesting journey to follow. Certainly better than some generic 'these shoes will add 5 yards to your drive' guff that others go for

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just one hole and not a monster par three to boot. Not seen the videos yet but the guy must be a total, total beginner if he needs that level of tuition and practice to take Bjorn on. Not got any issues with the challenge and it's a decent coup for Ecco and will create a lot of publicity but six months to learn to play one hole seems a long time.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Just one hole and not a monster par three to boot. Not seen the videos yet but the guy must be a total, total beginner if he needs that level of tuition and practice to take Bjorn on. Not got any issues with the challenge and it's a decent coup for Ecco and will create a lot of publicity but six months to learn to play one hole seems a long time.

looks like he is getting a lesson every 2 weeks so he will get a total of 12-13 lessons.
yes, that's a lot of lessons to play one hole.
No, it's not many lessons to play a hole in front of a live audience at the Danish open against Thomas Bjorn where you are hoping to win.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know when I was hacking it round in 115 each week the idea of playing a par 3 against a pro in front of a crowd would have knocked the wind out of me, a d if been playing a few YEARS at that point!

D

Deleted Member 1156

A lot of coaching for very little gain, this sounds very familiar.

Sybez

Challenge Tour Pro
www.digitalberry.co.uk
I know when I was hacking it round in 115 each week the idea of playing a par 3 against a pro in front of a crowd would have knocked the wind out of me, a d if been playing a few YEARS at that point!

This was my other thought which I couldn't be bothered to type at the time, but hey...

TB is good, regardless of current playing status, he can pretty much hit it anywhere, and that includes close to the hole or miles away from it. He's also done that infront on lots of people before, whereas the Rookie won't have. Who's to say he get lucky and actually hits it forward in the direction of the hole infront of the few media people and club members that they host this for. I'm sure TB will be able to hit it where ever Ecco tell him too.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
It pops up every so often on FB. I think they are still about 6 weeks away from the big day. Last I seen he got fitted for Ping driver and irons.