The QUICKEST/EASIEST way to cure a SLICE

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Here's the quickest and easiest way to cure a slice...

STRENGTHEN YOUR GRIP.

In the example below you are currently hitting shot A, a slice that generally bananas off high to the right.

You need to picture yourself hitting shot B, a controlled fade that only moves a few yards in the air and goes further than your slice.

slice.gif

To do this all you need to do is strengthen your grip... NOTHING ELSE HAS TO CHANGE. You can remain lining up as normal, starting your downswing as normal, move your weight as normal and even your swingpath can be it's normal out.to.in self.

Strenghten your grip so that the clubface points more left at address than usual (maybe even 20° or more) and the ball will sail down the left side of the fairway with a nice fade (shot B)... worst case scenario is it will go dead straight and end up just missing the green on the left side... (in which case only have the clubface 19° or 18° closed in future and you'll get that fade).

As you can see by the line of shot B the ball will START further left than the slice shot (because you've made the clubface point more left) but it won't curve so much as the slice does because you will be imparting less sidespin because now the clubface and your in.to.out swingpath will be closer matched. It will also fly a fraction lower/longer as you'll have taken a few degrees of loft off the clubface by closing it.... no more high slices!

Fixing a slice by adjusting your swingpath or learning how to stop throwing the club from the top are MAJOR swing changes that can take endless hours of practice and frustration (not to mention money and possibly lessons).

This is without doubt the quickest and easiest way to fix a slice.... FAST.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
As you can see by the line of shot B the ball will START further left than the slice shot (because you've made the clubface point more left) but it won't curve so much as the slice does because you will be imparting less sidespin because now the clubface and your in.to.out swingpath will be closer matched.

Whoops, this line should say....

As you can see by the line of shot B the ball will START further left than the slice shot (because you've made the clubface point more left) but it won't curve so much as the slice does because you will be imparting less sidespin because now the clubface and your out.to.in swingpath will be closer matched.

I was too busy thinking about my own lovely swing at the time of typing ;)

goldenbare

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
STRENGTHEN YOUR GRIP[/b].
This is without doubt the quickest and easiest way to fix a slice.... FAST.

I tried this a few seasons ago and found using this on a contiuous basis was very uncomfortable and difficult to use.

I found using a bit of patience and using some of the other options that you say are more difficult are actually more beneficial in the long term ;)

(Just an observation not to provoke an argument) :D

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Left foot a few inches forward was my tip to a couple of old timers I have the odd round with.
A lot of guys stances are too open giving them room to do a big swirling out to in swing, if you close the stance the body hasnt got as much room to come in and forces the swing a little straighter.

I work with computers though so try at your own risk.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I tried this a few seasons ago and found using this on a contiuous basis was very uncomfortable and difficult to use.

Swinging out.to.in is an unnatural move in the first place and it's what creates the fade/slice spin, but if that's what you got to work with and you don't want to spend a lifetime remodelling your entire swing then this is the fix. I'd expect any change to feel uncomfortable for a while, at least a bit weird to begin with.

Yes there are long term fixes that require far more restructuring of swingpath, grip, weight transfer etc etc but firstly you'd have to WANT to take that route of remodelling your swing and then you'll need to apply the required commitment.

Closing the face (by strengthening the grip) is the geometrically proven way to reduce slicing, and by far the easiest to implement, hence the post.

Screwback

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I dont understand how strengthening your grip will stop a slice i just cant see it, i fade the ball and and if i was to strengthen my grip it would turn it into a slice so im well lost on this. :(

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com

Swinging out.to.in is an unnatural move in the first place and it's what creates the fade/slice spin, but if that's what you got to work with and you don't want to spend a lifetime remodelling your entire swing then this is the fix. I'd expect any change to feel uncomfortable for a while, at least a bit weird to begin with.

Yes there are long term fixes that require far more restructuring of swingpath, grip, weight transfer etc etc but firstly you'd have to WANT to take that route of remodelling your swing and then you'll need to apply the required commitment.

Closing the face (by strengthening the grip) is the geometrically proven way to reduce slicing, and by far the easiest to implement, hence the post.

Have you taken into consideration how humans learn and react to change?

Sometimes people who are told to 'strengthen' their grip will subconsciously 'hold off' through the ball. If the player 'weakens' their grip they may unhinge, rotate and re-hinge more. Each player is different.

There are a lot of simple, quick fixes. But which one(s) are best for which players?

Another quick fix, for example, is to stand with your back to the target with the ball and your feet in a straight line and hit the ball, the club will naturally come into the ball from the inside, the body restricts the arm swing on the way through which makes the arms rotate through the shot and hit the ball to the right of target and curve back with a draw. Would you teach it? And more importantly, who would you encourage to try it and who would you not want to try it?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I dont understand how strengthening your grip will stop a slice i just cant see it, i fade the ball and and if i was to strengthen my grip it would turn it into a slice so im well lost on this. :(

As Charlie points out, it's because you subconciously hold off the club (open) on the way through. As with all changes it's a case of trusting it and swinging with your normal swing.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Another quick fix, for example, is to stand with your back to the target with the ball and your feet in a straight line and hit the ball, the club will naturally come into the ball from the inside, the body restricts the arm swing on the way through which makes the arms rotate through the shot and hit the ball to the right of target and curve back with a draw.

Stopping a slice by making someone change their whole swingpath using a 'back to the target drill that makes them hit a draw' is a QUICK fix?..... Awesome! :cool: :cool:

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
As per Lord Harrington the Omnipotent.....

One of the best ways to cure a slice is to find a piece of land where the ball will sit above your feet. Keep hitting balls from this position and it should help your swing to stop hitting across the ball.

He said it, not me.....

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
:) :) :)

My next post will be entitled.. "How to combat the air-shot" :D

the touch paper is lit,

isnt it funny, ive been working on the completely different shot, "how to cure a hook", which is pretty much the reverse of everything you said...