The prince and the sex offender

RichA

Visit site
I'm not on his side but why would he if there was no criminal charge involving him?
A criminal charge comes after an investigation, not before it.
An interview is part of an investigation.
If someone wants to clear their name, they might agree to an interview. If someone wishes to deny investigators the opportunity to ask them questions, they would obviously decline.
He declined.

If I was falsely accused, I wouldn't be able to give my side of the story fast enough. Wouldn't you?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
He doesn't need to say anything, it's up to the person bringing the case to provide evidence that he's committed an offence.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If someone wants to clear their name, they might agree to an interview. If someone wishes to deny investigators the opportunity to ask them questions, they would obviously decline.
He declined.

If I was falsely accused, I wouldn't be able to give my side of the story fast enough. Wouldn't you?
As I understand it this is a civil case. The police authorities are not involved and seemingly have chosen not to get involved.
"He certainly hasn't cooperated". How do you know this? Was he interviewed as a possible witness in the Maxwell/Epstein case or with a view to charging him with something? Did they interview him at all?
Of course it may not even get to court at all if there is a settlement.

RichA

Visit site
As I understand it this is a civil case. The police authorities are not involved and seemingly have chosen not to get involved.
"He certainly hasn't cooperated". How do you know this? Was he interviewed as a possible witness in the Maxwell/Epstein case or with a view to charging him with something? Did they interview him at all?
Of course it may not even get to court at all if there is a settlement.
Yes. The Maxwell prosecutors (criminal, not civil) wanted to interview him. After initially saying that he would be happy to be interviewed as a witness, he apparently stonewalled formal requests from them and later the FBI. It was widely reported a year or 2 ago.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
He declined.

You'd think so, wouldn't you, but we live in a world where lawyers advise otherwise.
And why? Could be just to be awkward? Could be to keep to the principle in this Country that it is for the accuser to prove the accusation, not for the accused to prove his innocence.
That might seem unnecessarily obstructive if you haven't done what is alleged.
And it can certainly seem evasive.

But, what if your proof of your innocence involves embarrassing revelations of you or some other person, or confidentialities being revealed?
There are all sorts of reasons why you may wish to "not cooperate "

And don't forget Cassandra. Condemned - always to tell the truth, but never to be believed.

There are many people, alas, who will believe or not believe you, based not on fact, but on their political leanings/agendas , or just because they don't like the way someone looks, or the colour of their hair, or who their relatives are, etc.
Nevertheless, in criminal matters, if there is reasonable suspicion that someone has committed an offence, then I am of the opinion that the law should require explanations to be given in a proper and verifiable manner.
(Unlike now)
Reasonable suspicion should mean more than one word against another, and some corroboration

And for clarity, I am not a Royalist.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
You'd think so, wouldn't you, but we live in a world where lawyers advise otherwise.
And why? Could be just to be awkward? Could be to keep to the principle in this Country that it is for the accuser to prove the accusation, not for the accused to prove his innocence.
That might seem unnecessarily obstructive if you haven't done what is alleged.
And it can certainly seem evasive.

But, what if your proof of your innocence involves embarrassing revelations of you or some other person, or confidentialities being revealed?
There are all sorts of reasons why you may wish to "not cooperate "

And don't forget Cassandra. Condemned - always to tell the truth, but never to be believed.

There are many people, alas, who will believe or not believe you, based not on fact, but on their political leanings/agendas , or just because they don't like the way someone looks, or the colour of their hair, or who their relatives are, etc.
Nevertheless, in criminal matters, if there is reasonable suspicion that someone has committed an offence, then I am of the opinion that the law should require explanations to be given in a proper and verifiable manner.
(Unlike now)
Reasonable suspicion should mean more than one word against another, and some corroboration

And for clarity, I am not a Royalist.

He comes from a family that are supposed to be better than us normal people. That's why we bow and curtsey and all that, they are better than us.
So to get himself in such a postion is discgraceful and disgusting and not somethinng to be expected after all they are royalty and are special.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
He comes from a family that are supposed to be better than us normal people. That's why we bow and curtsey and all that, they are better than us.
So to get himself in such a postion is discgraceful and disgusting and not somethinng to be expected after all they are royalty and are special.
Who says the are 'better'?
But what proof have you that he has done anything wrong?
Surely 'innocent until proved guilty' is a pillar of our society rather than birth?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Given the litigious nature of the US it is perhaps no surprise at the ferocity this case is being pursued. All that seems to do is feed the media and social media frenzy which does nothing to give Andrew a chance of a fair and unprejudiced hearing. Not sure innocent until proven guilty has entered into too many peoples thoughts in this case. Surely if the case goes against Andrew there would be some basis of appeal given this trial by media going on

Swango1980

Visit site

I'd like to know who said this? Is this the official opinion from the Royal Palace? Can I find it on their website? Or, are you confusing wealth, fame or what sort of house someone lives in as a definition of being better than someone else? Bowing and curtseying are simply traditional. If I go to a golf union dinner, we stand when the LUGC officials walk into the room and do a slow clap. I never thought we did it because the LUGC officials are better people than the rest of us, just like any other traditional routine. It is about respect, just like shaking hands after a round of golf.

Again, you are judging the position he got himself into based on media stories. It may well be disgraceful, or maybe not depending on what he did and what he was aware of.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's a civil case so no charges likely to come from it anyway always going to be a payout/ damages.

Strange though how someone who denied ever even meeting the person has settled?
?

D

Deleted member 15344

It'ds a civil case so no charges likely to come from it anyway always going to be a payout/ damages.

Strange though how someone who denied ever even meeting the person has settled?
?

Why didn’t the police charge him ? Why not a criminal case ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Not enough real evidence

That’s the crux of it - people will call him guilty yet there was not enough real evidence to charge him with any crime

Has he settled just to make it go away because he doesn’t want anymore exposure or negative press ? Is a settlement an admission of guilt ?

He will be called guilty yet the girl ? Maybe you could say that has managed to get more money out of it ?

Guess it’s hard to come to conclusions