The Open outside the UK

D

Deleted member 31467

Oops....just posted this in another thread. Sorry didn't see this one.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I wouldn’t complain.

But you can hear the gnashing of teeth from here.

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why don't we put all the majors in a tombola and draw out where they are going to be played each year (i.e. Country first; then venue!). The Masters will just have to suck it up!!!

D

Deleted member 15344

I find myself asking why? What would be gained?

There are some stunning courses in Ireland that could host the Open -

Imo there should also be an Open in Wales

Can’t see any issues with hosting The Open at Portmarnock

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would rather the open stay in UK as a slipery slope and in 20 years time you may find it all over Europe and only get the golf in UK say 50% of the time

Maybe a better option is for the creation of a fifth major - The European open that moves around ex UK nations

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Stop playing St Andrews so often and move it around more.

As it’s The Open Championship it could be played anywhere. I’d like to see it moved away from links courses. Why not use some of the wonderful heathland courses we have, that are far more interesting.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site

As it’s The Open Championship it could be played anywhere. I’d like to see it moved away from links courses. Why not use some of the wonderful heathland courses we have, that are far more interesting.
I'm not overly traditional, but I do think The Open would lose something if it wasn't played on links courses.
Ninety nine % of tournament's are played on the other types of courses and I like watching players battle the elements and playing shots that you don't see 51 weeks of the year.

Grizzly

Visit site
I'm going to go against the head here and say it should remain within the UK. There are lots of great links courses that could host outside of the current roster that deserve the opportunity before it goes to the Republic.

D

Deleted member 15344

Every single other event is played away from links course bar the Scottish Open

Links is the way the game was started on those courses and that’s the way Imo it should stay , I know traditional is an ugly world but The Open is a links event.

It’s not about a course that’s “visual interesting” it’s about a test of golf.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My concern would be the same as mentioned by others. An Open in Ireland would be dipping a toe in the water but also setting president that the tournament could be held outside of Britain. That opens up all sorts of possibilities. As people would have seen from many of my posts, I am not a great one for tradition but in this case, it is tradition that it is the shield that protects this tournament. You water that down and suddenly you will have interested parties denigrating the value of the tournament and pushing for it to be moved elsewhere. After all, it is The Open that is pretty much the only hurdle to the global game being all within the control of the PGA.

Don't get me wrong, would be great to see the Open played at some of the best courses but I worry that it would be seen as a chink in the armour that could be exploited.

Grizzly

Visit site
Don't get me wrong, would be great to see the Open played at some of the best courses but I worry that it would be seen as a chink in the armour that could be exploited.

This is it really. Its not as though there are waaaay better courses outside the UK that suddenly enhance the tournament - off the top of my head, outside of the current Open Roster you could take it to Royal County Down, Skibo Castle, Cruden Bay, Aberdeen, Silloth or back to Cinque Ports or Princes or - radical idea - before moving it to a new country outside the UK how about trying a new one WITHIN the UK and going to St Davids or Porthcawl?