The No 5 cheat stick....

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
So, due to there being another lh player at the range a couplemof weeks ago, and me only having a 7 iron with me that session, I was kindly given the opportunity to try out his 5h (Cally B&B OS with a lite F2 shaft)...oh boy, oh boy, oh boy :clap:
Whilst I still hit a decent distance I do find myself struggling with even a 5 iron nowadays; give me a 6 and it will go past my 7 but a 5 brings a range of shapes, contacts and distances that go beyond the implications of the word "dispersion".
This 5h gave me back a natural progression from the 6i

Trying to track down one (left handed) proved impossible, and it seemed a pretty expensive club (for me) as well, but I finally found an XR 2015 in immaculate condition with an R shaft for sub 50 and took a gamble.

2 sessions at the range later I'm still delighted and looking forward to laying up to about 175/180, or par 3s with that sort of yardage, again.

So, the question is, am I just late to the party and everyone else has got one already? I do accept that it's not really the done thing to suggest that hybrids are real clubs in disguise, or that anyone should appreciate 25 degrees of loft on anything more than a 6 iron, but I'm really interested in whether people do have them hiding in their bags and find them as ridiculously easy to hit as I have (so far)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have a 24 degree hybrid. I bought it a few years ago, played with it for a month or so, didnt like it, and bunged it in the garage.
I have swapped back to cavity back irons for the winter, as blades are unforgiving out of gloop. I saw the hybrid while bag swapping, and thought why not give it a go.

Wow, revelation. So easy to hit a decent distance from almost any lie. Yep, love it.

Come March, it will be back in the garage though, as it might be brilliant, but it is dog ugly.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
There are times when I hit my hybrid and it is a thing of beauty, real beauty. There are other times when it is a dogs dinner. Titliest 816 it is. tricky Trev has Ping G400 hybrid and three wood. He hits it gorgeous. Gonna have a tickle with them tomorrow. We both play off 21 and have very similar swings so it will be interesting.

D

Deleted member 16999

I’ve got Hybrids in the same lofts as my 4-6 irons, change them around depending on time of year or how I’m playing etc.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I have one Duncan.
After reading Garryinderry's thread I invested at the start of winter.
Mine's a Big Bertha with the regular recoil shaft...goes like a bomb!
It's 25° but I have it set at 26 just to keep it away from my 22°..
So easy to use.
I may go back to a 5 iron in summer....but then again, I might not😁

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I made the mistake of selling my hybrids last summer as I felt I was hitting the ball well enough with other irons I could make use of the 4/5 too.

off the tee I still hit both reasonably well, but they defo have more fun to get their distances compared to the hybrids.
think I may be shopping around again soon as manning the top of the bag easier will no doubt help me.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have one Duncan.
After reading Garryinderry's thread I invested at the start of winter.
Mine's a Big Bertha with the regular recoil shaft...goes like a bomb!
It's 25° but I have it set at 26 just to keep it away from my 22°..
So easy to use.
I may go back to a 5 iron in summer....but then again, I might not😁

Yep, thsts the one, and i think he had it set to 26 as well so the onlyndifference ws the F2 rather than the F3 you have.
The XR aquired has a project X 5.5 R and it works fine for me, but infidel I need to do a bit more effort than with the Recoil shaft.

Glad I'm not alone; really understand Bobmac's reference to cheat sticks now! My 4h's work, but nothing like as easy as this thing.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have one Duncan.
After reading Garryinderry's thread I invested at the start of winter...

Just found that thread and read it through - excellent read and rather interesting toncompare the comments from a season ago with references now!

Seems a general opinion that they work though. Wish I'd picked up on the thread when it was written!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Up until recently I had a 2h and a 4h. I then bought a Titliest 718 T-MB 3 iron to replace the 2h, which I found was a little temperamental. Wow! I loved the T-MB so much I then bought the 4 iron T-MB. They launch high and long. However, even the 4 iron doesn't pick up out of the rough as well as the 4h. Dilemma, what to drop?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
both 4 and 5 hybrids firmly in my bag.

since working on my irons after battling far shots for nearly two years, i did put my 5 iron in for a few non competiton rounds. hit it ok but the 5h still beats it for consistency hands down.

HDID Kenny

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Up until recently I had a 2h and a 4h. I then bought a Titliest 718 T-MB 3 iron to replace the 2h, which I found was a little temperamental. Wow! I loved the T-MB so much I then bought the 4 iron T-MB. They launch high and long. However, even the 4 iron doesn't pick up out of the rough as well as the 4h. Dilemma, what to drop?

Your driver Brian if that's the one puting you in the rough 🤓

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I play a 4 hybrid but at my recent iron fitting the fitter wanted me to go from 6i to 5h. I balked at not having a 5i - not sure I can drill a hybrid low into the wind in quite the same way - but the 5h certainly gives a higher ball flight and more consistent carry. No doubt I'll make the change at some point.....

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Get them in the bag. work them out. Well worth it.

There is nothing to stop you having a longer iron after a hybrid to get the best of both.

[video=youtube;_JKS24Ctc1A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JKS24Ctc1A[/video]

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a 22° 4 hybrid but it hasn't all been peaches and cream. When I connect nicely it soars beautifully but there's only about 60% chance of that. It's probably the only club I can still top 30 yards if I'm not careful. On the fairway I'd sometimes rather use the 5 iron, as it's more likely to stay near the middle whereas the hybrid is a bit more susceptible to a slice or hook, but out of the rough the hybrid wins every time. Its really handy to have one in the bag if only for that.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I have a pair of 3h & 4h in the bag but because they have steel shafts its taking me longer to get used to them than the hybrids they replaced, but i'll stick with them till i get it sorted (got rid of the old versions so i wouldn't be tempted to put them back)

Also have a 5 & 5½ hybrids that are in the spares bag

Great clubs to have between top of the usable (effective) irons and fairway woods

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Hybrids all the way for me, Xr Callaway 6 iron then jump to my 2 hybrids. 195yrds and 210yrds hit them like irons not woods and bingo your away.

I've got a gap and new found form with 6 iron might purchase a 5 iron need something 185ish #MoreMoney

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yep, thsts the one, and i think he had it set to 26 as well so the onlyndifference ws the F2 rather than the F3 you have.
The XR aquired has a project X 5.5 R and it works fine for me, but infidel I need to do a bit more effort than with the Recoil shaft.

Glad I'm not alone; really understand Bobmac's reference to cheat sticks now! My 4h's work, but nothing like as easy as this thing.

I got one last year (actually, a 27*) and it has become my go-to club for so many shots!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
To offer a different view as everyone seems to use hybrids now a days.

I have never used a hybrid, irons striking are the strong part of my game, my 2iron is my favourite club for instance. Never felt the need to have a hybrid in my bag