The meat to go with the vegetables

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well after investing in a V-Easy my putting has been transformed. I have also spent a lot of time chipping and pitching and that has come on a lot too.

Swing wise I have had the same swing for a good 5 months now. This started to go sour at easter when I started hooking the ball. I tried to compensate for it and got a lot worse.

Here is my swing from before I went downhill

Feb 2011

I ended up moving the ball back in my stance and kicking the hips through more than in the above vid. This made the draw stronger and stronger but still got the ball up and flying.

I have now gone back to the above swing but with some improvements. The ball has been moved further forward and I am now no longer moving my hips forward so much and moving my upper body forward more. The result is less draw, more distance and more height. Does this sound about right?

I will post a video of my new swing very soon once I have made the changes stick.

If anyone has any other thoughts please let me know. I have been looking at my swing with the free version of V1 and I have to say I think my swing is much better than my 14 handicap suggests.

Today I was driving out to the farthest corner of the range with ease! My 6 irons had lots of backspin and my wedges were almost coming back to my feet (really exaggerated the amount of spin but you get what I mean)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
and I have to say I think my swing is much better than my 14 handicap suggests.

Swing doesn't always equal handicap. I know some people with quite good swings who play off more than 14. I also know some terrible swingers of the club who I wouldn't want to play for money.

I'm not having a pop (really) but why do so many people reckon their swing is worth a lower or higher handicap. Surely suggesting such a thing is like saying "I'm wasted on x h'cap, or conversely, I don't deserve to be off y h'cap".

I don't get it. :)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree Dave, swing doesnt equal handicap, thats why I bought a V-Easy! I knew I needed to take advantage of the opportunities my decent long game was presenting me with.

The combination of improvements in my short game and the decent long game were 11 out of 15 rounds of 18 under my handicap. Only a few in qualifying comps sadly, an 83 was in the winter team league finals day so no cuts but damn hard course with tight pins!

Others yielded just a .3 cut due to CSS :(

Its all about taking the opportunities a long game presents, the scoring game is what makes the difference!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
You are right Dave, you could be as graceful as Fred couples on the teebox but putt like you are trying to stabby stab stab that white thing into the hole.

and I have to say I think my swing is much better than my 14 handicap suggests.

Swing doesn't always equal handicap. I know some people with quite good swings who play off more than 14. I also know some terrible swingers of the club who I wouldn't want to play for money.

I'm not having a pop (really) but why do so many people reckon their swing is worth a lower or higher handicap. Surely suggesting such a thing is like saying "I'm wasted on x h'cap, or conversely, I don't deserve to be off y h'cap".

I don't get it. :)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
So has anyone actually got any comments on my improvements? It was the point of this thread afterall. I really do want to know what the experts think on it.

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
think we were just trying to say dont get to hooked up on what your swing looks like, thats all, good luck with what your doing though, im sure there will be an expert along in a minute to give the advice you want to hear

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
im sure there will be an expert along in a minute to give the advice you want to hear

Hopefully!

Do not fret, I am not getting hooked on what it looks like, I am the kind of golfer you see on the putting green for hours, spent hour and a half there tonight after a 30 min range session!

I always strive to be the first one to say you should spend at least 50% of your practice time on putting, I belive it 100%.

I just know I get more opportunites to score when my long game is not pulling the ball to the left side of the green all day long. I am now working on getting the ball to carry better and not drift away, thus increasing birdie chances!

All the advice is welcomed, its good to know so many care enough to point out when someone might be focusing too much on the swing but I am already one who does not. Actually this is the first time since I have joined the forum that I have discussed my swing in detail and shown a vid. Usually I am found bigging up Bobs V-Easy somewhere :D

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice looking swing Scienceboy.

I'm far from an expert but if you want my opinion you could shave a bit of length of the backswing. It needs a spare set of eyes to spot this because I didnt realise it myself until the pro showed me on tape a couple of weeks ago.

I'm hoping a shorter more compact swing will make me more consistent and work better under pressure. Yours looks the same length as my 6 irons when he said that its too long.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm far from an expert but if you want my opinion you could shave a bit of length of the backswing. It needs a spare set of eyes to spot this because I didnt realise it myself until the pro showed me on tape a couple of weeks ago.

I am quite flexible so parallel is quite easy for me to reach, the swing shown is a little inefficient because of the upper body not staying over and trapping the ball well, its a little wristy. I am working on compacting it more, this is coming naturally as I build up resistance better. I think I will always be a little longer because of my flexibility.

My improvements are to keep the upper body forward and turn it to the target better and not go over my left knee.

My pro is very good but I feel the need to double check I am understanding him correctly.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Good morning.
I dont do many replies after abot 10pm, tucked up in bed by then but up at 5, guess I'm a morning owl :)

I'm sure your pro knows what he's doing with your swing changes but I look forward to seing the new swing and comparing the two.

Slightly curious about moving the upper body more and the lower body less?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Which was the swing that got you 41 points around East Brighton, the new one or the old one?

The one you see in the vid smiffy! Coupled with Bobs V-Easy, couldnt have done it without him!

Do not worry Bob, the swing you see is very close to what I want to achieve but its all about the finish. Currently I try and throw my body down the line, I kick my hips towards the target and hold my head back and down. This results in a strong draw.

I want to finish more in the classic pose and currently I do not get near it, you would see from a down the line view.

I want to get my upper body to actually turn and trap the ball with my head above it, keeping a direct line down through my body, knee and foot.

Cannot thank ole bob enough for his V-Easy though, fantastic invention! Told my pro about it, he has a few YES! things in stock so I hope he goes and looks it up.

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm no pro either with the standard of my golf right now but you do seem to have what looks like it's a touch too big a backswing.

Try some 3/4 iron shots and compare them to your full ones for ball flight and accuracy. You might be surprised at the results.
From there you can adjust your backswing to be a little shorter and your accuracy/length should be good.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks LTP, I will give that a go and see! I think I do it to make the most of my flexibility and get as much coil as I can.

Pity I cannot make use of any power I generate :D

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think the problem with using as much coil as possible is your trying to hit the ball as hard as possible. By coiling back as far as possible your probably overswinging.

The golf swing is a controlled and rhythmical manoeuvre so by overswinging your likely to loose some control.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the problem with using as much coil as possible is your trying to hit the ball as hard as possible. By coiling back as far as possible your probably overswinging.

The golf swing is a controlled and rhythmical manoeuvre so by overswinging your likely to loose some control.

Quite possibly the overswing is source of my inconsistency rather than hitting it too hard, I feel I swing within myself and my pro says I have good tempo. I aim to give shortening the swing a real go. My pro has not said anything so far as he has not seen enough shots I guess, generally with him I hit it really well.

Thanks again LTP for a good spot!