The Management

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well I went to a meeting last night to sort out a new way of changing over Captains. It was a dinner do but Mr Vice can't make it and no one bothers anymore so he suggested a more informal hand over and a comp. so we sat there, eight of us, and discussed it all and I thought it was a good meeting as we sorted the lot out. Then, right at the death, lady Comp sec said "who's going to take this to the next level" meaning put it to the Management Committee.....that hasn't sat since lord knows when and I'm still waiting to ratify some comp rules I'd set out on October of last year!!!!! Remember me going on about that? Well that's still on going! So I lost it and said "what on earth has this got to do with them?" We had sorted everything and agreed on everything though a quick round of votes and it is all done. No one knows what this Management Committee is going to sit or even who is on it!!!!!!! Well one person is known to be on it. The whole place is a joke. I will be canvassing members over the winter to gather support to over throw the lot of them. As long as I can get people willing to step up to fill their boots. :thup:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Forgive me, but if you dislike your course and current position why are you still there playing and doing what you do?

I don't get why you would continue to carry on with it whilst taking it to a public forum to moan about it.
To my mind, if it's as bad as you say or gets to you like it appears to....get out and play somewhere else.
Lifes too short to waste on things that annoy or you don't like.🙂

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would it not be easier for you to either take a step back off the board or move clubs completely, and just concentrate on playing golf?

Cant be be good for your health.

*appears bunkermanget beat me to it...

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well I went to a meeting last night to sort out a new way of changing over Captains. It was a dinner do but Mr Vice can't make it and no one bothers anymore so he suggested a more informal hand over and a comp. so we sat there, eight of us, and discussed it all and I thought it was a good meeting as we sorted the lot out. Then, right at the death, lady Comp sec said "who's going to take this to the next level" meaning put it to the Management Committee.....that hasn't sat since lord knows when and I'm still waiting to ratify some comp rules I'd set out on October of last year!!!!! Remember me going on about that? Well that's still on going! So I lost it and said "what on earth has this got to do with them?" We had sorted everything and agreed on everything though a quick round of votes and it is all done. No one knows what this Management Committee is going to sit or even who is on it!!!!!!! Well one person is known to be on it. The whole place is a joke. I will be canvassing members over the winter to gather support to over throw the lot of them. As long as I can get people willing to step up to fill their boots. :thup:

You seem to be encountering so many problems at your club but the last thing you should do is consider leaving. You gradually seem to be dragging them into the 21st century and your club is definitely not alone in its antiquated ways. The trouble is that the old guard are always pretty hard to shift and finding younger replacements willing or able to devote time to a golf committee is even harder.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the 'sort of reverse' problem at my club.

I sit on a sub committee with responsibility for Handicaps, Competitions , Course and Playing Rules.

The head of the sub committee who is a Captain's committee member keeps trying to get us to do everything and I have to keep him 'in check' and remind him that areas he wants us to discuss and produce rules for are nothing to do with our committee and should be left to either the Captain's Committee or the Clubs Board of Directors.

One the biggest problems at our club is trying to recruit members under the age of about 50 to take an active part in running the club.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
why are you still there playing and doing what you do?

Yep CF, we love your passion, but if we add all the threads up about the aggro you get trying to organise stuff there it'll rival the Article 50 thread!!:D

I played there way back, on a day you organised via another channel and the greens were great, there were some super holes and some less than super ones... Augusta it isn't! Stuff em...go and play somewhere where you get less grief. THATS AN ORDER (your GP and wife asked me to say this! :D)

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am thinking about doing this. The club nearest to me, which used to be £200 more, is now only £70 more. Don't know why, but I will be investigating this next year if things don't improve.

Sorry for the moans, I'm really just asking for advice of how to deal with the problems I encounter. What I really want to do is behave like I was 18 again and give them all a blooming rocket!!!!! Despite all my moaning have have had random members coming up to me telling me they like what I'm doing and even the superstars at the club now talk to me!!!!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
You seem to be encountering so many problems at your club but the last thing you should do is consider leaving. You gradually seem to be dragging them into the 21st century and your club is definitely not alone in its antiquated ways. The trouble is that the old guard are always pretty hard to shift and finding younger replacements willing or able to devote time to a golf committee is even harder.

We don't actually have an old guard, I'd call them more a sort of power crazy mob, who like to keep everyone under their control.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We don't actually have an old guard, I'd call them more a sort of power crazy mob, who like to keep everyone under their control.
Most clubs have them, but the problem is that in the end no matter how hard you bang your head against that wall it doesn't move and only leaves you wounded.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Glad I'm only a bit part member these days #PMG and also a hotel course so no boards to worry about, messing with things that people arrange!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The strongest vote will always be one cast by your feet. This sport is frustrating enough without fighting a club that you PAY to play at and enjoy yourself at

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went for a knock yesterday afternoon and got collared by a mate who told me yet another amazing story about the club, (this was concerning this years mixed KO that he and his wife have reached the final of.....and been removed from the competition, by the ladies comp committee who I have been told run this particular comp, because they are not able to play in the final on finals day, yet the couple they were due to play are happy to play on another date). They have been told to raise this with the management committee, LOL x 100 !!!!!! There are no comp rules to this comp or any of our comps. As I told him!!!! LOL.
Also, I was ignored by a member of the said management committee who was on the putting green as I approached it from the 9th hole. I said "Hi Paul " as he looked at me as I walked by. He turned away and ignored me. Finally, after playing I went to check the comp notice board to see how many have signed up for the latest comps to find two comps haven't been put up by our young pro, who I asked to do this a week ago. Now he's a nice lad but is so frustrating. I as walked over to my car to put my clubs in our pro came out of his little shop clutching load of A4 paper. Guess what they were? Yup start sheets. I followed him in, and had a chat to him, no I didn't give him a rocket. I noticed that this weekends comp had had names added to the start sheet, despite it being a drawn comp and we'd agreed that no further additions could be made after it was drawn. Reason? Well we haven't had our rules ratified by the management (from October 2016).
So on my journey home I decided......yup you guessed it, I have had enough. I will see the season out, then I'm done.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Watch out, Crazy has thrown his teddies again. Either you're too emotional or you're at a club full of Basil Fawltys... personally, I'd say you need to read about the wee lad that cried wolf too often.