The lie of my irons.worth checking?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Hello
I'm elderly but told I have a reasonable swing for my age. I practice most days and the swing is beginning to groove. It goes wrong too often, but lately less often.
I use Srixon z785 irons 4 - PW. My driver swing speed is circa 90
I tend to hit the shorter irons to the left with slight draw, but not the 4-6. They don't go as commensurately long as I feel they should.
I've been wondering if the lie of the irons can be checked and altered if necessary .
Is it possible, if so is it expensive( worth it?)

Is it likely to help?

Thanks

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It sounds more like a swingpath or aim issue rather than a loft and lie problem.
The cost of a loft and lie check varies so much it would be hard to say but shouldn't be any more than £30.
Would it help?
Maybe but I doubt it.
I'd suggest your £30 would be better spent on a lesson, much more likely to solve the problem.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Thanks for the advice. When bought new I presume they had a "standard" lie?
I since saw a Ping advert that suggested that the individual should be checked for the best lie( something that Ping do?) .
So, what if they have been Not optimum in the first place.
No doubt my swing needs lessons, but is not a lie fitting done for the individual and his swing?
Just thinking out loud here

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. When bought new I presume they had a "standard" lie?
I since saw a Ping advert that suggested that the individual should be checked for the best lie( something that Ping do?) .
So, what if they have been Not optimum in the first place.
No doubt my swing needs lessons, but is not a lie fitting done for the individual and his swing?
Just thinking out loud here
If you have some decking or thin piece of wood plastic.
Put some masking tape on the sole of the club .
Hit what would be a normal swing onto the board.
If the mark is in the middle on the tape you are good
To much on the toe is to flat.
On the heel is upright
It’s only a guide .
Or look on YouTube for the marker pen test.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
its not expensive to get done by a local pro, got mine checked last years and they were all fine still, but i don't hit many balls on a range TBH.

one set that were off where the ones i did a lot of work on at a range 7 iron and 9 were both off, 9 was the same as my PW at the time