the humble 5 wood

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
where has this club been all my life? I used an old Slazenger 5 wood back home and it was a pretty good club. I fell in love with hybrids a few years ago and never looked back. they changed my game so much.

yesterday I got my hands on a ping g20 5wood. WHAT A CLUB!

it just wants to go straight, long, and high. it doesn't balloon up but its lands on greens super soft. launches like a dream.

been needing a high flying 200 yard shot and this is it! :thup:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fav club in my bag! It's the go to when driver is not working, great from fairway and it tackles light rough too! I got the i20 and it's superb!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Love mine.... don't hit it 200 yards but, yeah straight and high.

Best shot I've hit all year was my 5 wood approach to the 18th at Duddingston in their ladies open - 170 yards (wasn't a great drive lol) with a burn in front of the green and OOB through the back. Nailed it, flew high, landed soft in the middle of the green and stopped dead! Birdie putt lipped out but I'd have bitten your hand off for a par after that drive!

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I love mine. Solid off the deck and a go to club off the tee........ However...... Had a little accident with it on Saturday. The tree won....

imagejpg1_zps7853300f.jpg

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm loving my 4 wood - so easy to hit and very useful round our course where driver is often too much club. Used it off the fairway and rough, 2nd shot into our Par 5 8th last week, at 210yds - it's a beauty allright :)

Missed the eagle putts though!

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Getting shorter and shorter off the tee, with age, has seen my fairways [5&7] getting more and more use... Wouldn't be without them relatively easy to hit and with way more height to the flight than I could ever achieve with my longer irons...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I love mine. Solid off the deck and a go to club off the tee........ However...... Had a little accident with it on Saturday. The tree won....

imagejpg1_zps7853300f.jpg

Just grip it down!

edit: my 5 wood is typically my 2nd shot club on any decent length hole and often used unless I want a bit more control on direction when i drop to 22 hybrid

Last edited:

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the G20 5 wood too. A very highly regarded club which works really well. For some reason I seem to have lost the ability to hit it well just now, so resorting to my hybrid, but I am sure with a bit of work I can start to strike it well again.

hacker_al

Club Champion
Visit site
ORKA 5 wood. Used a lot for second shots on longer holes and off the tee when driver is misbehaving.
Not hitting it 200 yards. One day maybe!
Awesome club.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got myself a Cleaveland classic XL 5 wood to match my 3 and 7 it is a cracking club easy to hit and long much easier off the deck too than the 3 wood

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Recently added a 5w as was having trouble with the hybrid..... Got to say I've having only hit 5 balls with it every ball has been high, floaty and well struck back on target , there's a good chance the hybrid is going to go full time.

Got to add mine isn't a new fandangled jobbie either, around 8 year old Taylor made v steel.... It's awesome.

I know I recently plumpt for an amp 5 wood but comparing them back to back I think I prefer the older shallower face more.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Most slower swingers - and by that I mean "normal" club golfers will ,generally, benefit from a 5 wood rather than a hybrid of the same loft.
The fairway puts more spin on the ball, tht keeps it in the air longer and leads to more carry.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I love the G25 five wood. Apart from the old Cally steelhead+ I've struggled to find a fairway wood I'm absolutely confident with until I got this. Forgiving and a lovely flight. To be honest if you put the G20, 25 and 30 side by side and there really isn't much to choose between any of them

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got one again SLDR Taylormade high launch , help me get on the 7th hole par 5 stroke 1 hole on the Becton 9 at Barton on sea on friday , had about 15 feet for eagle and lip out , never been on in 2 up there ever , great club

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
gave this some more hits up at the range tonight. cant get over the floating flight off it. lands super soft! floating with out ballooning. its a magical mix!

no wonder Rory wouldn't be without his 5 wood! he was right all along! :rofl: