The first set.......

johnboywalton

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi, this is my first time on here and i would appreciate some advice. I have been borrowing clubs to use at the driving range and indeed to play 9 holes.I do not want to go mad, so I am planning to spend circa £250 on a first set, would people recommend a complete new package set i.e. Wilson etc, or make a set up of reasonable second hand clubs??

Thanks

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome.

I'd say buy 2nd hand clubs. No question.

I only ever bought one set of new irons, they'd been halved in price and then halved again.

There are huge amounts of iron sets out the there for £100-200. Grab some and add a putter and driver/3 wood.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Second hand would definitely be the way forward.

There's a full set for sale on the For Sale section of this very forum. A set of old Maxfli irons which, by all accounts are supposed to be decent irons. Not sure if the stiff shafts would suit you as it depends on your swing speed, but might be worth considering.

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
2nd hand - far better quality - if possible go for the brands MD ping TaylorMade Titleist etc try to stay away from the Dunlops and the JJB sets.

Try ebay is good for bargins golfbidder.co.uk is good for gear but a bit expensive - and of course there is our 2nd hand section bit on here keep yopur eye out there is some good bargins - I sent a new yonex 3wood to a member for the cost of postage so check regularly.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Second hand would definitely be the way forward.

There's a full set for sale on the For Sale section of this very forum. A set of old Maxfli irons which, by all accounts are supposed to be decent irons. Not sure if the stiff shafts would suit you as it depends on your swing speed, but might be worth considering.
Welcome along.. i agree with Aztecs that a second hand set is the way to go .. my bit of advice would be NOT to buy off the internet but to pop into a pro at a local club , have a chat & tell him your story & that you will wana be changing up soon when you get playing a bit .. you can have a practice swing with a couple of sets with the pro ^& buy ones that feel good to you ,, buying off the net is ok when you know your swing & when you know what shafts , lofts etc that suit your game .. as a beginner a good pro should see you right .. good hunting

musselburghgolfclub

Medal Winner
Visit site
yeah second hand maxfli, dunlop tour or ben sayers/hogan clubs which are suitable for starters. good luck :rolleyes:

hcap 24.3
Weapons of choice
Nike ignite 10.5
Nike t60 17.5
masters mc2uso 24 4 hybrid
cobra hump 4-9 then gw
vokey 54 degree
nike oz1 cut to 28 inch (short putter works great last medal 31 putts)
don't cry and shout its only a game
vokey