The eyes have it.

Sam

Head Pro
Visit site
I wear contact lenses and the wind over the last few weeks (not a breath today) causes significant watering. Nothing worse than bending over a beautifully plugged ball and seeing 2 of them!
Anyone esle suffer from this and have any experience of wrap around sunglasses or similar please.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi Sam. I wore them for 15 years, then no more, my eyes couldn't take them (too dry), and since then my snooker has been wrecked (even with rimless specs) and my golf is difficult when my glasses steam up. I had to walk off the course (£50 green fee :() a few weekends ago.

When I wore them I always wore shades and a hat as well most of the time. I know the problem all too well. I'd recommend a pair of wraparound style, weren't around when I was wearing lenses, but should help surely.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I use contacts sometimes but usually with shades in summer. In conditions such as you mention glasses with photochromic and polarised lenses seem to work best in piercing winter sun and wind (no good if it rains of course but then what is?)

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi Sam. I wore them for 15 years, then no more, my eyes couldn't take them (too dry), and since then my snooker has been wrecked (even with rimless specs) and my golf is difficult when my glasses steam up. I had to walk off the course (£50 green fee :() a few weekends ago.

When I wore them I always wore shades and a hat as well most of the time. I know the problem all too well. I'd recommend a pair of wraparound style, weren't around when I was wearing lenses, but should help surely.

Pretty sure there's a product that you can buy to prevent misting. There's a coating that pro sport motorcyclists use to prevent their visors doing the same and a stick on layer that does the same thing (ive been out of biking for a few years now and can't remember what it's called).

There's also bound to be a domestic version of the spray they use on aircraft window and house extension roofs which reduces resistance to the meniscus effect of water and just makes it slip off. A bit of a punt round the net should turn something up. I don't get the problem apart from heading into the shower.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
billyg.....what a great thought!!! I'd never had to stop playing before (so depressing), but I will have to check this out.....good thinking Batman.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Dave, I use a solution used on car windscreens to prevent fogging on my glasses, rain-x or something I believe, and it works an absolute treat.

I cannot get on with contacts, tried them, hated them, and will never go back.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is certainly a spray that does the job, also stops glasses steaming up. Have seen it used at paintball sites to keep the protective goggles clear.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pretty sure there's a product that you can buy to prevent misting. There's a coating that pro sport motorcyclists use to prevent their visors doing the same and a stick on layer that does the same thing

I used to use a product called RAIN-X and got it in car accessory shops. There is also a MIST-X that I got the wife to use on the bathroom mirror.

I hated wearing glasses at the golf and my eyes dried out with lenses so had to save up my magic two money and get laser eye surgery last year (magic two money contributed £11 to the proceedure)

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why not just ask your optician? Any lens cleaner with silicone will cause water to bead but to do this it has to leave a surface film, even if it is very thin. I just carry lens wipes.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Why not just ask your optician? Any lens cleaner with silicone will cause water to bead but to do this it has to leave a surface film, even if it is very thin. I just carry lens wipes.

I would also suggest proceeding with caution where multi-coatings on your best glasses are concerned. Try it out on an uncoated set of 'spares' first at the very least.

Also any surface you apply these things to must be as clean as possible as dirt or grime creates surface tension which the sprays can't mask.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I wear lenses when it rains as the hassle of glasses is just too much. Slightly off topic, but i changed glasses for varifocals this year, and the only thing I can't do in them is play golf as I have to have my head positioned slightly differently for the ball to be in focus. Just more stuff to worry about!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suffer from the varifocal problem as well. Solution was to get a pair of glasses made for golf - mainly distance with just the inner bottom corners for reading, about the same size as the union flag sticker on an apple. I also had them tinted blue, which helps show up the ball.
I got these as the 'second pair' from Specsavers - cost me £12!