The Dreaded Shanks

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played in the doubles on Sat.for 3 holes my ptnr carried me as I sherman tanked everything,came off the 18th a wreck as I'm certain my play or lack of cost us a good chance of winning!!!
Went up Sunday and found myself'Jimmy nae mates'(maybe folk thought that I would infect them!!)
Anyway,same old story...hitting everything out of the hosel!!
NEED AN INFALLIBLE CURE(was there not someone on months ago with suggestions on breathing/counting...or was that in the mag????)

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Go on the Range and thoroughly check your address.
Take a few balls and adjust your stance minutely moving further away or nearer until your contact is good.

Sometimes this prob is nothing more than a small error in set up, by doing this you can get yourself back to normal.

If its anything more than this, especially a swing change creaping in then see a pro.

Adjani

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Get a sharpie pen put and the numbers "1", "2" and "3" across the clubface of a six or seven iron; number "1" near the toe, "2" in the middle and "3" near the hosel, .

Now hit some balls, deliberately trying to catch em on different parts of the clubface, out the toe, the heel and the sweetspot. Dont think about the swing, just focus on hitting "the numbers" and allow your body to be aware of the process.

JollysHeld1

Medal Winner
Visit site
The shank is so close to a good strike it's unreal, so firstly don't think your swing is screwed, secondly the shank is simply a memory problem! you have forgotten a very important part of golf!

I once had the terrible shank affliction and it was throughout my bag and lasted months! being in that industry I had all 59 cures at hand and numerous pro's affering advice! but it was one man that cured me! he was a professional from a club near chester that was visting and the cure took 6 balls!

After I had explained my latest woes to him he snorted the word "Nonsense" at me and took me to the nearest net! where I was told to show him my dreadful shank! with the first 3 balls!

This I did with great pride shafting each one into the side netting! "OK" he said "Hit 3 off the toe".

"No worries there squire" I replied and toed the next 3 into the side netting, I turned to him looking expectantly for a pearl of wisdom, only for him to say....

"What's your problem?"... "If you can hit it off the hosel! and you can hit it off the toe!... hit it out of the middle?"

I have never shanked since! it's very easy to get so involved with the technicalities of the golf swing that such a simple thing as hit the ball with the middle of the club can be forgotten! anyone with the shanks will say "Oh it's my backswing or my balance or timing or posture or hands or timing " and on and on and on ....but really your thinking too much into it! just hit the ball with the middle of the club.

And thx again Peter Gardener if you read this forum.

JollysH1

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
The shank is so close to a good strike it's unreal, so firstly don't think your swing is screwed, secondly the shank is simply a memory problem! you have forgotten a very important part of golf!

I once had the terrible shank affliction and it was throughout my bag and lasted months! being in that industry I had all 59 cures at hand and numerous pro's affering advice! but it was one man that cured me! he was a professional from a club near chester that was visting and the cure took 6 balls!

After I had explained my latest woes to him he snorted the word "Nonsense" at me and took me to the nearest net! where I was told to show him my dreadful shank! with the first 3 balls!

This I did with great pride shafting each one into the side netting! "OK" he said "Hit 3 off the toe".

"No worries there squire" I replied and toed the next 3 into the side netting, I turned to him looking expectantly for a pearl of wisdom, only for him to say....

"What's your problem?"... "If you can hit it off the hosel! and you can hit it off the toe!... hit it out of the middle?"

I have never shanked since! it's very easy to get so involved with the technicalities of the golf swing that such a simple thing as hit the ball with the middle of the club can be forgotten! anyone with the shanks will say "Oh it's my backswing or my balance or timing or posture or hands or timing " and on and on and on ....but really your thinking too much into it! just hit the ball with the middle of the club.

And thx again Peter Gardener if you read this forum.

JollysH1

Funny how my post is a shorter more tactful version of this :D

Faldo_Fan

Head Pro
Visit site
I console myself that even the best players in the world are capable of it! Ian Poulter on the 15th at The US Masters last year! and as quick as it comes....it goes! Sort of like an old friend visiting?.....no??