the dreaded S word.- Shanks with wedges.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
so sunday morning i hit the range pre round and in typical fashion warmed up with some wedges to short range nets (50/75 yards) once warmed up i hit a few mid shots which were all more than acceptable, then back to the wedges for the final 15 balls.

SHANK!
ok
SHANK!
OK
OK
SHANK!

i just assumed it was because i was relaxing so left the bucket and walked off. Out on the round i had 3 pitches within 40 yards that were shanked.

Any idea's of things to check for should this happen again. I put it out of my head instantly, one was a bad shank from about 20 yards, but as it was so little powered it was just a green miss to the fringe on the right, but the thing is it was hard to say what id done wrong.

I suppose im asking what are the common causes for shanks with half powered wedges.

Thanks in advance.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
as a high handicap golfer i can't offer you my thoughts but i had a identical situation. durring a lesson my pro told me that a common mistake is standing too close to the ball. because i was only 30yrds from the pin i was setting up for a chip shot and trying to pitch. when i took my normal address and put more distance between the ball and me the shanks disapeared instantly. hope this helps

jasondransfieldgolf

Challenge Tour Pro
jasondransfieldgolf.wordpress.com
Oddsocks, go out and hit some balls and putt your practice bag (something soft) very close to the ball. To explain this would be as you address the ball your practice bag would be about an inch away from the toe of the club. (So stopping an over the top motion). Hit balls this way until you feel comfortable if you miss the bag you won't shank.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
charly. you may have just hit the nail on the head.

there has to be a check list for stuff like this, from looking my swing path hadnt changed, grip was the same, but looking back i maybe do stand quite close on chips, bingo,

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
charly. you may have just hit the nail on the head.

there has to be a check list for stuff like this, from looking my swing path hadnt changed, grip was the same, but looking back i maybe do stand quite close on chips, bingo,

in that case my lesson cost me £33. how about £16? i accept cash :D

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'm not answering. I like other people to have the same issues as me. I am not alone.

There can be a lot more to it than standing too close.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
so sunday morning i hit the range pre round and in typical fashion warmed up with some wedges to short range nets (50/75 yards) once warmed up i hit a few mid shots which were all more than acceptable, then back to the wedges for the final 15 balls.

SHANK!
ok
SHANK!
OK
OK
SHANK!

i just assumed it was because i was relaxing so left the bucket and walked off. Out on the round i had 3 pitches within 40 yards that were shanked.

Any idea's of things to check for should this happen again. I put it out of my head instantly, one was a bad shank from about 20 yards, but as it was so little powered it was just a green miss to the fringe on the right, but the thing is it was hard to say what id done wrong.

I suppose im asking what are the common causes for shanks with half powered wedges.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the club :rolleyes:

Had a bad touch myself at the weekend, managed to shank one backwards into a bunker, god know's how i managed that. Also made our par 3 150 yard 11th hole into a 400 yarder :D

Mine happens when i don't get a full turn in or swing too quick .

Also standing too far away can make it worse

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hit a few today. No great surprise when I'm trying to swing the club in a totally unnatural way. :eek:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Were these with an open stance?

funny enough yes they were. :D

I had a couple a few weeks ago out of nowhere, and I reckoned it was ball position. I haven't had one since anyway.

If you take your normal stance with the ball wherever, then open your stance without moving ball position, it's now much further back. It still looks like it's in the right place relative to your target line, but look where it is relative to your swing path (the line your feet are on).

I moved ball position so that it was where I wanted in relation to the line my feet were on and not had one since.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Makes total sense, a couple of times of the last month ive thought the ball looks a but far back, checked what I could, grip, swaying etc but that makes sense as when I closed my stance back up they went. Cheers region

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I could have written this myself. My problem is that, as I am not hitting a full shot, I tend to "slide" towards the target which means my head gets slightly ahead of the ball and the clubface comes in open, sharply from the inside and the ball squirts right at impact.

I've found that bracing my right knee and keeping my head deliberately behind the ball stops the problem.

Hope that helps as it is a bloody nightmare.