The claw grip in putting?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I've been watching some top players using this grip, notably Tommy F and Justin R, and I get the feeling that the grip doesn't do them any favours.
My impression is that it seems OK on long putts, but when short putts are taken , there are more misses than you'd expect them to make.?
To my mind, the nature of the grip seems to make it harder to keep the short stroke straight.
Any views on this?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been watching some top players using this grip, notably Tommy F and Justin R, and I get the feeling that the grip doesn't do them any favours.
My impression is that it seems OK on long putts, but when short putts are taken , there are more misses than you'd expect them to make.?
To my mind, the nature of the grip seems to make it harder to keep the short stroke straight.
Any views on this?
I thought the consensus was actually the reverse. Keeps the right hand out of it on short putts so they go straight back and through, but struggle on longer putts when more power is required.

Personally my left hand/arm are so weak that I can't use any of these kind of grips, it makes the putter wobble all over the place. I need my right hand to be firmly on the grip as well.

D

Deleted member 3432

Any views on this?

They are using the claw grip because they have some form of putting issues.It is the least worst option for them.

If it is to take the right hand out of play I reckon wrist lock or armlock is a better option but you can guarantee they have tried those methods out.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
I accidentally came across it circa 20 years ago when I kept missing short putts and was putting one handed left arm only. Which was good for practice but not for real, and I just found it to be the easiest way to put my right hand on the grip without influencing the left hand only. Seemed to work, esp for the short putts, and I stuck with it for a long time until I went to a long putter.