The big Friday afternoon Golf Monthly office debate...

S

Snelly

I think you would easily break 100 at Crowborough off the yellows. Maybe not the whites though.

Snelly.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Will you be using any of the following?

Iphone GPS/ball retriever/ black glove/towel on the waistband/junior chipper/orange ball/plastic tees tied together with string/sucker on end of putter (to get the ball out of hole - didn't mean the person holding it!!)

Add 2 penalty shots for any of the above used.......

I reckon you've got more chance of getting a pay rise out of Mike.......:D

Good luck, and don't forget to take photos ...

grumpyjock

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi Ho HI HO,its off to play we go.
I think you could just manage to do it.
I have some for my 8 year old grandson and play them one handed, 3 wood goes about 100yds.
and the 5 iron about 70.
go and enjoy, but cannot for the life of me imagine a 6ft tappers with the clubs on his back.

T

thecraw

Sorry Jezz, I'm 100% in the not a chance camp.

I've hit a few shots with the wee mans clubs and as has been said already, think it was the first reply. Your back won't manage the 18 holes with that length of club.

Good luck though, might make a really interesting magazine feature!

(PS I'm sure Fabian will be stupid enough to try it at the Dunes if we egg him on enough!)

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Will you be using any of the following?

Iphone GPS/ball retriever/ black glove/towel on the waistband/junior chipper/orange ball/plastic tees tied together with string/sucker on end of putter (to get the ball out of hole - didn't mean the person holding it!!)

Add 2 penalty shots for any of the above used.......

I reckon you've got more chance of getting a pay rise out of Mike.......:D

Good luck, and don't forget to take photos ...

iPhone/GPS - too new-fangled for me - still pretty much a VHS man
black glove - not since I was a fan of Alvin Stardust back in the day (Coo, coo, I just want you...)
towel on waistband - should actually be a criminal offence
junior chipper - anyone resorting to one of these at a tender age has no future in the game
orange ball - only orange ball in my house is my son's basketball
tees tied together - never tie them together but do reglue any broken wooden tees at the end of a round, sometimes strengthening them with a couple of splints
sucker on end of putter - might well be needing one if I were to play a round with those clubs

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
I reckon it's doable but it would be tight. The par 5s would be monstrous and god help you if you go in a bunker! That said if you can get 130 out of the 3 wood you are cooking on gas and having tried my sons little putter they are deadly from six foot! Looking forward to the magazine article...seriously I think you should bring in a crazy golfchallenge section where you attempt things like this and do a humorous piece on it each month! Looking forward to the blindfold challenge where your partner helps you with your set up but then you're on your own.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd say yes - have to be optimistic about these types of bets such as a single-figure goler not breaking 100 around a US-open track like Torrey Pines. Hopefully, you could still be pretty good from 100 yards in - remember you can double bogey nearly every hole. If you start with that strategy, you can probably take the odd par and several bogeys!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Let me know where and when and I will join you for a laugh. I am off 6 and had a go with my mates 7 year old sons clubs, (one of those junior Taylormade sets) on the range. Being 6'4 it was a struggle but I got hold of a few and they did go straight as you like with those short shafts..... I'll borrow them and we will challenge the doubters in your office to a better ball if we get 1 shot a hole. I reckon we could still get a better ball round in the 70's between us........;)

RichardC

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tough ask, and I would have a truck load of painkillers for the day after.

There must be better ways to try and get some sick leave :D

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is there any rule against attaching the 7 iron to the end of the 3 wood, then you have an interchangeable club with a head on each end that is a decent length.

SimonS

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Using a little bit of maths...

Target score is 99 (or less).
99 - 36 = 63 (lets assume average 2 putts per hole)
6250yds / 63 = 99.2

Can you average 99.2 yds per shot between tee and green? If so then it should be do'able.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
No problem....I am an expert at hitting them off my knees with a kids club.Me and my late pal who was a greeny used to compete with each other at it and we were pretty damn good.

Mind you that was ten years back so I would maybe need an hour on the range first!!

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
i quite often use my 8 yr old daughters few clubs in teh garden. She's got a 9i, a 3h and a Putter.

The 9 iron is deadly for pitching / chipping, and the hybrid really smacks the ball well.

However, you need to change your swing dynamics - you don't get any distance from a typical "centrifugal" or "freewheeling" swing for 2 reasons - the shafts are much shorter which signifincatly reduces clubhead velocity (and that is a Square function in determining ball speed so that's a really big effect) and the clubheads are much lighter so again reduces momentum transfer to the ball.

So what you have to do is load the shaft on a much shorter backswing, stop your backswing when you fell the shaft loaded and then just push it through the ball. Basically a punch shot.

Alos, dont bend over to reach the ball, as your swing plane will be destroyed - instead spread your legs wide, bend your knees and sit down much lower.

Still be tough breaking 100 though