The answer to faster golfer

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had our annual 3 club and putter comp yesterday. We got round in under three and half hours for the first time in a comp for absolutely years and we played near the end of the field.

Limit the number of clubs to say 7 or 8 and you significantly reduce the decision time.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
maybe but slow is slow is slow. some would still be with one club;)

on the subject of 3 clubs though. thinking of doing it more really enjoyed ours over Christmas.
ours 3 is including the putter and this year lots of good scores. i shot 76 gross which my two pp though would be good enough to win, but wasn't even in the prizes. two of the + handicaps shot scores in the 60's, but as its handicap no chance. one guy who hasn't had a cut in years and is a very shaky 15 handicap won with a net 67

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Isn't another factor that people carry their clubs in that situation?

I think, particularly in winter, trollies slow things down significantly compared to carrying.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
maybe but slow is slow is slow. some would still be with one club;)

on the subject of 3 clubs though. thinking of doing it more really enjoyed ours over Christmas.
ours 3 is including the putter and this year lots of good scores. i shot 76 gross which my two pp though would be good enough to win, but wasn't even in the prizes. two of the + handicaps shot scores in the 60's, but as its handicap no chance. one guy who hasn't had a cut in years and is a very shaky 15 handicap won with a net 67

Going off topic a little.....what clubs did you take? A hybrid and an 8 iron for me I think....

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

I think, particularly in winter, trollies slow things down significantly compared to carrying.

Huge factor.

Next, they frequently don't have a club with a head over, or if they do they don't use it.

Midweek and cold - no one is hanging around!

Halfway hut probably closed.

All adds up

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Going off topic a little.....what clubs did you take? A hybrid and an 8 iron for me I think....

Ive 19 deg hybrid turned up to 22 deg and a 58 deg wedge. as its a links course if you go in a pot bunker, you can't get out unless going side ways and thats a no no on all the par 3's and you are either going in another bunker or into deep rough at a bad angle.. sods law i did't go an a single one:rofl:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Driver, 6 iron and 50 degree.

The choice of driver is based upon the fact that we have several dogleg holes and I need one in winter to get past the angle.

The guys I played with took a 19 rescue as their long club one scored better than me the other worst. The better played finished 3rd and I finished mid table (more about the number of layers on my top due to the cold than the choice of club).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

We were all senior players and I only noticed a few that were carrying.

However if we were limited to half the number of clubs would a lot of players carry. I know I hated having to start using a trolley in my early 40s because it meant you walked a lot further.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We were all senior players and I only noticed a few that were carrying.

However if we were limited to half the number of clubs would a lot of players carry. I know I hated having to start using a trolley in my early 40s because it meant you walked a lot further.

I didn't take a bag as its only 3 clubs. had a couple of spare balls in my waterproof back pocket. In fact the only people a saw that were not carrying or just holding the clubs were juniors.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I suspect that the round was quicker as players don't care for the format and are happy to get it over with.
To me this "fun" format is a complete waste of time.

Incidentally, at my club 3 and a half hours (or slightly less) is the norm in medals. It's a 6600 yard windy links. Out in 3s at 9 minute gaps.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I suspect that the round was quicker as players don't care for the format and are happy to get it over with.

Incidentally, at my club 3 and a half hours (or slightly less) is the norm in medals. It's a 6600 yard windy links. Out in 3s at 9 minute gaps.

is that Dunbar?

if so have they lengthened it recently?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Our course layout is one of our 'troubles'. Part hill top Parkland course with narrow fairways, heavily tree lined, fairly deep rough, OB fairly close to some fairways and winds every bit as severe as any links course I have played. You actually notice the days without wind rather than the ones with.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes. It was lengthened about 10 years ago in order to keep its local final qualifying status.

played its a couple of years ago with Doyly and Grieg, can only remember using driver on 1,3 and one other and i'm not a big hitter, so didn't think its was as long as that... maybe i am a big hitter after all;)

nice course though, no one to have the blocks on;)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
played its a couple of years ago with Doyly and Grieg, can only remember using driver on 1,3 and one other and i'm not a big hitter, so didn't think its was as long as that... maybe i am a big hitter after all;)

nice course though, no one to have the blocks on;)

Did you play off the back tees?

There are 4 par fours on the back 9 into the prevailing that are 435, 440, 457 and 460 yards.

There is only one par 4 of less than 350 yards on the course.

Surprised you used a driver at 3 as it is a par 3! Sure you've got the right course?