The 150th Open

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm lucky enough to be going to The Open this year with my son and it's the first time either of us will have been to any tournament.

Just after advice on what sort of time of day is best to arrive etc given the huge numbers of people expected.

Also are there any particularly good spots to spectate from? We don't want to be too static all day but I'm also conscious that it will be a very long day for a nine year old. We've got tickets for Sat And Sun so time to see different holes on different days etc.

Any other advice on do's and dont's also welcome.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I've never watched at St Andrews, but my general advice is to get in a grandstand behind a par 3, so you can watch the entire hole being played. Get there in time to see the big names coming through. Usually there's a block of big games morning and afternoon, so ensure you get a order of play. Get him to tell you who is coming up next. Who are his favourite players? Make sure he sees them.

When you had enough of that, walk the course so you get to see it. Following a game isn't easy unless you are very tall. But with less famous players matches, its easier.

Others will have different ideas! Have fun!

Last edited:

DCB

Visit site
At previous St Andrews Opens I've gone early, had a wander and then taken a seat in one of the stands overlooking the double greens. Binoculars are a must but you get some great viewing. Its also worth looking in on the practice ground later in the day to see who's working on what. If you try to walk round following a group, The Old Course isn't the best for that I'm afraid. A good vantage point in a stand is my recommendation.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Get there early, really early if you want a glimpse of Tiger and others who practice early.
I always like to go to the practice ground for a while. Then, a mix of sitting in a stand at a green, watching them tee off etc.
Take binoculars, that way if you are behind a green you see more of players hitting in.
Most of all, enjoy it. I've been to all the recent ones in Scotland but am on holiday this year.?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Been a couple of times to the Open at St Andrews, as stated above not the best viewing course but you get good views from the stands with plenty of double greens and tees nearby.
Binoculars are well worthwhile, couple of small pairs if possible. Also pocket radios with headphones allow you to follow what is happening either on 5 Live or the opens own radio show the latter is FM the former medium wave.

Tented village is good for seeing things. At the tented village you will find PGA pros giving10 or 25 minute free golf lessons to kids which my son enjoyed but you should visit it early in the day to book a time slot. There are big screens for viewing with refreshment.

sunshine

Visit site
Been a couple of times to the Open at St Andrews, as stated above not the best viewing course but you get good views from the stands with plenty of double greens and tees nearby.
Binoculars are well worthwhile, couple of small pairs if possible. Also pocket radios with headphones allow you to follow what is happening either on 5 Live or the opens own radio show the latter is FM the former medium wave.

Agree TOC is not the best for spectators. You can only follow a game from one side of the fairway and the same happens with the double greens.

Most people have phones now so pocket radio is a little obsolete!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Most people have phones now so pocket radio is a little obsolete!
I've not tried streaming at the Open but my slight reservation of using phones is for mass events with lots of people using them bandwidth can become an issue and for a long day battery life can as well. You may be right though.

Mockba

Visit site
Can anyone advise what the town of St Andrews is like after a practice day or tournament day please? It's my first time visiting and I'd like to see a bit of the town and maybe go for a couple of drinks as we're staying not too far away. Is everywhere hammered? Any tips on where to go post close of play? Thanks.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can anyone advise what the town of St Andrews is like after a practice day or tournament day please? It's my first time visiting and I'd like to see a bit of the town and maybe go for a couple of drinks as we're staying not too far away. Is everywhere hammered? Any tips on where to go post close of play? Thanks.

The town is relatively small in the scheme of things and it gets completely mobbed. It's difficult finding anywhere to eat if you've not booked in advance. On the flip side, the fact it's mobbed makes the atmosphere pretty special and it's generally not too difficult finding drinks. There's a decent amount of pubs and bars and you can't really go wrong.

First Time I'm going to St Andrews.

What is/isn't acceptable to wear? I'm also going with my wife who isn't a golfer.

Wear whatever you like for the outdoor conditions. Don't wear golf spikes unless you want to look like a wally. ;)

D

Deleted member 1147

What is/isn't acceptable to wear? I'm also going with my wife who isn't a golfer.

I generally end up wearing golf clothes, as they seem best suited to spending a day on the golf course.
I wear soft spike golf shoes, as you end up walking up & down slopes, on not the best terrain, and it can get wet of course (dew or rain).

D

Deleted member 1147

I've not tried streaming at the Open but my slight reservation of using phones is for mass events with lots of people using them bandwidth can become an issue and for a long day battery life can as well. You may be right though.
Get yourself a portable charger - https://www.google.com/search?q=por...i57j0i512l8.5711j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

There is an Open app which gives you all sorts of info, including a map, which shows the best route around the course, and where you are currently.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Golfing attire is acceptable; soft spikes even, though t's not particularly hilly. Trainers work too and are much better than ones with heels - of any size.
lots of choices as to how to view - following a group; in reverse order; picking a particular hole/series of holes; picking a grandstand. I'd suggest a mix, but ending up in a grandstand overlooking one of the double greens - near your exit point - as it can be a tiring day.
Enjoy!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The town is relatively small in the scheme of things and it gets completely mobbed. It's difficult finding anywhere to eat if you've not booked in advance. On the flip side, the fact it's mobbed makes the atmosphere pretty special and it's generally not too difficult finding drinks. There's a decent amount of pubs and bars and you can't really go wrong.

Wear whatever you like for the outdoor conditions. Don't wear golf spikes unless you want to look like a wally. ;)
.......or even worse, wear a golf glove.;)
Glove tucked into back trooser pocket is acceptable though.