The ‘In the hole’ moron

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just watching the BMW FedEx and having it ruined by the “In the hole’” moron and his mates.

No matter the venue these berks always sound identical. Could it be they are the same fools who travel the country to inflict their brainless drivel on a long-suffering audience every week?

Would it not be possible to issue stewards and marshalls with batons and give them a special dispensation allowing them to smack these clowns very hard where it hurts?

This could then be followed by their immediate ejection from the course by way of a size 12 connecting with their backsides.

You’re welcome.

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Must only be me who likes these shouts. Remember a few years ago a massive shout of "Get off me". Absolutely meaningless but I think that's why I found it so funny

Sorry but it's not so much about them shouting, its about the fact that they can go home, replay the recording and take satisfaction in proving to themselves that they were there - utter morons!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You are not allowed to get them banned or even slag them off on social media- no doubt they will have had a tough upbringing/illness/trauma/something or other and this is the only way they can express themselves to get over their past life.

Or they are morons and should be put out of their misery ?

Bobthesock

Visit site
Sorry but it's not so much about them shouting, its about the fact that they can go home, replay the recording and take satisfaction in proving to themselves that they were there - utter morons!
It adds a bit of atmosphere for me. As long as it's just the odd shout and not the full on beer throwing nonsense. If you only want to hear a ripple of polite applause from the crowd maybe watch bowls or something ?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wouldn’t mind so much if they shouted it after a player is hitting onto a green or has putted, but they shout it after every shot. It’s tiresome now if you ask me.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It adds a bit of atmosphere for me. As long as it's just the odd shout and not the full on beer throwing nonsense. If you only want to hear a ripple of polite applause from the crowd maybe watch bowls or something ?

The usual argument - like most, you trivialise the argument that doesnt suit you to " if you dont like it dont watch the sport" I want to watch golf and prefer not have to listen to the attention seeking imbecils shouting stupid things that are meaningless. It does not add "atmosphere"

Mandofred

Visit site
The usual argument - like most, you trivialise the argument that doesnt suit you to " if you dont like it dont watch the sport" I want to watch golf and prefer not have to listen to the attention seeking imbecils shouting stupid things that are meaningless. It does not add "atmosphere"
On the whole, I kind of agree with you. But...there are people who do like it. Things change.....

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I hate it with a passion. I feel it's the most pointless and meaningless commentary given by people who simply want to hear themselves on TV.
The ridiculous comments such as "mashed potaytah", "get in the hole" (tee shot on a par 5, usually) and the new "light the candle", which is a rather odd sentiment at a golf tournament, unless you get REALLY excited about golf.
I would love it to stop.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hate it. They're not doing it for the player, they're doing it for themselves. What's the point anyway. It's not as if the ball can listen. I've spoken to my ball many times on the course, but it's never listened!
You want to buy some of the balls that Jordan Speith uses. They often seem to listen to him mid flight. Probably pretty pricey though.

As to the shouting, it's clearly an American thing. I think the aim is for the shout to be as random as possible. The really random ones make me smile through sheer daftness. They do need to move on from mashed potato though, that's old hat.

evemccc

Visit site
I hate it with a passion. I feel it's the most pointless and meaningless commentary given by people who simply want to hear themselves on TV.
The ridiculous comments such as "mashed potaytah", "get in the hole" (tee shot on a par 5, usually) and the new "light the candle", which is a rather odd sentiment at a golf tournament, unless you get REALLY excited about golf.
I would love it to stop.

I think the maniacal chorus-like shouts of “C’mon Rory” are almost as bad

Purely for the shouter’s narcissism, rarely for the benefit of the target of the shouter

Last edited:

Mandofred

Visit site
The only people who like it are those who do it - and they do it so they can ask their mates '...and did you hear me...'. Just rather self-important and selfish imbeciles.
Not strongly biased with your views...are you? I think it's a bit silly as well, but getting this angry about it is.....well....silly.