Thats some shot with an iron

Phimun

Visit site
Just reading on the GM main site ' Min Woo Lee Hits 365 Yard 2-Iron'

Back wind I know but one hell of a hit!

Put a 2 iron in my bag recently as I am not a fan of fairways and needed to bridge the gap from Driver to my 3 iron better. Great club but not a 365 yard one!

Anyone else gone the same way with long irons or sticking to hybrids & fairways?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Put a 2 iron in my bag recently as I am not a fan of fairways and needed to bridge the gap from Driver to my 3 iron better. Great club but not a 365 yard one!

Anyone else gone the same way with long irons or sticking to hybrids & fairways?

Classic Clickbait? :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bubba Watson has been known to hit a 2 iron that far on a downhill fairway, slightly elevated tee as well I think. The pros are playing a different game altogether.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site

Me neither, totally over rated. I like to see all of the course ;)

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
nah, piece of cake. simply strike the ball just below the equator with the leading edge of the club. Bingo!!!

Springveldt

Visit site
Run? Bouncing? mmmm haven't seen much of either in a few months!
Aye, that's part of the distance problem for me. The fairways on tour are so firm and fast, it's just stupid. That thing bounced about 10 foot in the air on the first bounce.

I had 2 balls at the weekend that bounced -2 inches, I had to dig the ball back out the ground.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Choosing between long irons and fairway metals isn't easy these days.

Now, we have separate models just for long irons--the Ping G410 crossover is an excellent example. It is so much easier to hit than the longs irons of the past.

Higher lofted fairway metals are great for hitting at greens because they hit the ball high and it lands fairly steeply.
The hit-and-run line drives that we hit with long irons, however, cheat the wind and are great on scary driving holes with tight landing areas.

The fourteen club rule exists, I sometimes think, to force us to choose one or the other.

I am willing to leave gaps in my distance increments in order to bag at least one long iron and one lofted fairway metal.
I feel that overall, I come out ahead.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Choosing between long irons and fairway metals isn't easy these days.

Now, we have separate models just for long irons--the Ping G410 crossover is an excellent example. It is so much easier to hit than the longs irons of the past.

Higher lofted fairway metals are great for hitting at greens because they hit the ball high and it lands fairly steeply.
The hit-and-run line drives that we hit with long irons, however, cheat the wind and are great on scary driving holes with tight landing areas.

The fourteen club rule exists, I sometimes think, to force us to choose one or the other.

I am willing to leave gaps in my distance increments in order to bag at least one long iron and one lofted fairway metal.
I feel that overall, I come out ahead.
please stop saying "fairway metals". they are fairway woods. only butch says metal. by his example you should be saying "fairway carbon" too. sounds so ridiculous

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
please stop saying "fairway metals". they are fairway woods. only butch says metal. by his example you should be saying "fairway carbon" too. sounds so ridiculous

Titleist, possibly our most prestigious clubmaker, calls them "fairway metals" in all of their web pages and ads.

Out of curiosity, hovis, have you been playing long enough to have bagged real wooden woods, either persimmon or laminated maple?

If you started with "fairway metals" that were typically called "woods" anyway in your environs, you never underwent a change and "fairway metals" would sound weird to you.

Some of us called them metals, or even metalwoods, because we replaced real wooden woods which we'd played for years.
Others among us continued to call them "woods" even after making the change.

I don't know what the common usage protocol is in the UK. I've heard both in the US. I just followed Titleist usage because I played Titleist PTs for the longest time

As for irons, some are carbon steel and others are stainless steel, but none of them are raw iron, so I somehat see your point.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Titleist, possibly our most prestigious clubmaker, calls them "fairway metals" in all of their web pages and ads.

Out of curiosity, hovis, have you been playing long enough to have bagged real wooden woods, either persimmon or laminated maple?

If you started with "fairway metals" that were typically called "woods" anyway in your environs, you never underwent a change and "fairway metals" would sound weird to you.

Some of us called them metals, or even metalwoods, because we replaced real wooden woods which we'd played for years.
Others among us continued to call them "woods" even after making the change.

I don't know what the common usage protocol is in the UK. I've heard both in the US. I just followed Titleist usage because I played Titleist PTs for the longest time

As for irons, some are carbon steel and others are stainless steel, but none of them are raw iron, so I somehat see your point.

no I have never played real woods but they are still called woods. at least your not saying "gaming" that one makes my piss boil

Visit site
no I have never played real woods but they are still called woods. at least your not saying "gaming" that one makes my piss boil

yeah I agree the whole Americanism of gaming boils my piss too.

I’m just wondering who the moderators will edit the boils my quote first, yours or mine? since they edited the exact same words the other day. Or is it about who you are?