That has not happened in years

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I rarely keep a close eye on the time but it has felt much quicker in the last few weeks and less hanging about. I do think the flag in has helped as my group opted for it in most of the way round so nice and easy. Not sure we'd ever get round in threes under three hours but we're well under four all of the time now

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What made the difference?

Probably one of the larger swindles playing a team game.

No phaffing around with flag in or out. Once out it stayed out.

Only one ball hunt and ball quickly found.

I assume Ready Golf. Having been heavily publicised at our place, it has already made a significant effect on time taken to play a round.

We have been playing Ready Golf for some considerable time. It is one f the things that does make a difference as long as all groups play it

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I rarely keep a close eye on the time but it has felt much quicker in the last few weeks and less hanging about. I do think the flag in has helped as my group opted for it in most of the way round so nice and easy. Not sure we'd ever get round in threes under three hours but we're well under four all of the time now

We’ve always played ready golf other than in match play. If honours are that important be ready to take them. I make a point every round of declaring ball, marking and ready golf on the first tee, no one ever says no.

Pin in has definitely helped, it’s either in or out, none of this attended lark although I expect that will change in the spring when the qualifiers start

Wolf

Visit site
We got round in 3hrs 15mins today, declared on 1st tee will be leaving pin for putting unless someone wants it out in a certain putt which would mean it stays out for all so no faffing about, walking forward to our balls as long as not in line with each other to be ready to play. Talked all the while walking at a good pace and thoroughly enjoyed it, didn't even realise it had been so quick till we got back in clubhouse for a coffee.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Someone needs to tell the idiots I played with the other day in a roll-up. I had come out of a greenside bunker, was raking it and my ball was about 15 feet from the flag not in the way. Both of them are about 13 feet away and both stand around waiting because "it was my turn to play". Utter imbeciles.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Someone needs to tell the idiots I played with the other day in a roll-up. I had come out of a greenside bunker, was raking it and my ball was about 15 feet from the flag not in the way. Both of them are about 13 feet away and both stand around waiting because "it was my turn to play". Utter imbeciles.
It's going to take a while to change entrenched views. 'The honour' has been such a part of golf, a tradition in fact, that to change it is going to take quite a while. I push it every time I play but I see a real reluctance in many to run with it. Plenty feel awkward still and it is going to take time to make it feel 'normal '. The more of us that push it and raise it, the sooner we will get there.

Visit site
My scoring is all over the pace at the moment - speed of play has very little to do with it.

I don’t necessarily agree with that. Speed of play can have a positive and negative affect on scoring. Those who prefer to play faster may of seen their scoring improve as opposed to hanging around waiting, getting frustrated and having a detrimental affect on their game. The same can be said to those who prefer not to ‘run’ round have seen their scores go up.
It’s getting the fine balance between the 2.

We have a 5 hc player who judges his round by how many groups he can get through? I played with him once and was dreading his afternoon with his alcoholic mother in law, yet he was badgering to get past groups in front which we did, a total of 4 in all, packed his clubs away and drove off home after a 3hr 35min round.

Maybe he wanted the alcohol as well !!!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Out of interest in these quicker rounds, has your scoring, improved, stayed the same or got worse?
I would say that in my own experience, and of those I play with, the quicker we play the better we score. Slow play ruins rhythm, people get agitated waiting for the group in front etc. We don't run around but a smooth flow is better for most people's games.

It might not suit all, clearly as otherwise slow golf would not be a problem, , but for most I think this will be the case. That or I only play with quickish golfers.

Wolf

Visit site
Out of interest in these quicker rounds, has your scoring, improved, stayed the same or got worse?
My scoring tends to be better as I can let things flow naturally rather than standing around waiting and thinking to much as I'm very much a feel player, rounds will ebb and flow but until everyone gets the message on the games changes I still think there will be more slow rounds than quick ones

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's going to take a while to change entrenched views. 'The honour' has been such a part of golf, a tradition in fact, that to change it is going to take quite a while. I push it every time I play but I see a real reluctance in many to run with it. Plenty feel awkward still and it is going to take time to make it feel 'normal '. The more of us that push it and raise it, the sooner we will get there.

Totally agree, for many the act of playing out of turn can be quite offputting and you feel you are rushing things. If you miss a makable putt you would blame putting out of turn etc.

The only way to overcome this is to sort it out before the first shot is played, expecting it to happen naturally or start halfway through a round will not work. That will be either quite distributive to people’s rhythm or cause friction and tension between players.

I will be trying to get all to agree to the terms before setting off. Waiting for the “honour” if it has not been agreed otherwise or enforced by club rules will be the default for many golfers for years to come.

Visit site
I would say that in my own experience, and of those I play with, the quicker we play the better we score. Slow play ruins rhythm, people get agitated waiting for the group in front etc. We don't run around but a smooth flow is better for most people's games.

It might not suit all, clearly as otherwise slow golf would not be a problem, , but for most I think this will be the case. That or I only play with quickish golfers.

I totally agree with that.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t necessarily agree with that.

I was only referring to the round yesterday and the past few rounds.

When round get much over about three and half hours I find I get more agitated about the slowness of play and it can affect my game.

It is something that ones has to get used to most Saturdays though as the rounds are generally around the 4 hour, mainly caused by a group of 12 players who fight to get out very early and the first of their 4 balls often finish 3-4 holes behind the group that went out before them.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
in my experience playing without any hold ups [i wont say fast ] has generally seen my score at the end of the day a touch better than when we have been held up by all and sundry.i like to play ready golf and keep things moving along but a mate of mine sadly no longer with us was a stickler for honour to be obeyed ,it always was a bit of a wait if he had the honour as he always had to write his scores down before teeing off.