Temporary Water

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Or casual water as it used to be.

How big does an area need to be to be defined as temporary water?

I had a situation today where my ball was short of the green, sat in a large divot on bare soil and due to heavy rain it was sitting in about half an inch of water, would this be classed as temporary water and could relief be obtained?

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Or casual water as it used to be.

How big does an area need to be to be defined as temporary water?

I had a situation today where my ball was short of the green, sat in a large divot on bare soil and due to heavy rain it was sitting in about half an inch of water, would this be classed as temporary water and could relief be obtained?
Certainly would if it were my ball.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Definition of temporary water should give you the answer:

Any temporary accumulation of water on the surface of the ground (such as puddles from rain or irrigation or an overflow from a body of water) that:
  • Is not in a penalty area, and
  • Can be seen before or after the player takes a stance (without pressing down excessively with his or her feet).
It is not enough for the ground to be merely wet, muddy or soft or for the water to be momentarily visible as the player steps on the ground; an accumulation of water must remain present either before or after the stance is taken.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was just looking at a USGA rules quiz:.
5. Which is correct regarding temporary water in the general area? (Ref# 183)

Correct

You answered A ball lying in a pitch-mark filled with water is in temporary water.

Correct answer A ball lying in a pitch-mark filled with water is in temporary water.

Explanation Definition Temporary Water

I know a divot isnt a pitch mark but the principle is the same.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
If it's not the surface of the ground, what is it?

I'm just being ultra nitpicking as it's something I would have stood to have gained from, some would argue that a hole is not the surface of the ground but sub-surface.

As it was, I was playing the first extra hole in a singles match, neither of us was sure so I just chopped it out to the far side of the green, three putted and lost the match.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I'm just being ultra nitpicking as it's something I would have stood to have gained from, some would argue that a hole is not the surface of the ground but sub-surface.

As it was, I was playing the first extra hole in a singles match, neither of us was sure so I just chopped it out to the far side of the green, three putted and lost the match.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.
Oof, did your self in there.