Temporary remedy needed, any ideas?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I normally play a mixture of pull/straight/fade but for some reason, Mr out-in has gone on holiday and now his deputy, Mr in-out has turned up at the office.
Now, given the choice, I'd employ him full-time (like when I played half decent golf) but I'm a little scared of Captain Hook especially as I'm 6 days away from the match of my life. :D

Can anyone think of a 100-ball fix that might last a week or so enabling me to play my course without looking in the mirror? :eek:
What I mean to ask is; how can a get my path back before refining the in-out path for good?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't think your swing has changed from 'out to in' to 'in to out' without a serious amount of practice.
I suspect a timing change or grip change has caused it.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think your swing has changed from 'out to in' to 'in to out' without a serious amount of practice.

Well, I've been working very hard for 4 or 5 months, alongside pro tuition. My main worry is that somehow I've gone back to my swing from 2 years ago where I couldn't start the ball left.
My timing does feel "odd" but the ball's not lying. I usually play with a "tweaked" strong grip (thumb clearly to the right of centre (looking down)) but today my thumb was spot on the "golf pride" and still some balls were turning over too much. Definitely some serious draw spin....

If I have cracked it....do you think I should just "bank it" (now it's there) and accept the consequences? Steve (my pro) doesn't want to see me until after the Club Pairs Final...

I appreciate it Bob.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
In reverse to bob's sponge drill. :)
How much d'you reckon....try 50 balls and see where I am?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If you want to see Mr Fade/Slice back again then load up your right side and get as much weight on that right heel as possible... should have you throwing the club over the top in no time

If you feel nothing has changed (grip/ball position etc) then I agree with Bob that it's probably just a timing thing, your shoulders or hips are a little out of sinc during your downswing... or you've stopped that shocking slide of the hips that you normally do! ;) ;) ;) heheh

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hmmm, much to ponder.

I spent a week (about 3-4 weeks ago) working solely on my hips (you'll remember I expect) and was beginning to get some draw and losing the weak fade shot. Maybe that's where the weirdness has come from.

Don't get me wrong, I like to see the straight shots end up 10 yards right or turn over, but I don't want to run the risk of a disaster hook ruining my game for at least a week!

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Check your alignment it could be as simple as that.

Next time you take to the course, address the ball and then throw a club down across the toes and stand back to see where it points to.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Check your alignment it could be as simple as that.

Next time you take to the course, address the ball and then throw a club down across the toes and stand back to see where it points to.

Yes....I might see if my partner wants to play a few tomorrow and get him to check my alignment.
Thanks for the support....

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Many thanks to all that took an interest. I think I have found a temporary solution.
I hit 40 practice and played 9 and am confident *if* I can hold things as they are, am just about spot on.
I'm hitting all my short irons stood a little open with a very neutral grip (as if I'm going to "cut" it, but I don't seem to) and for the long clubs, I just need to be careful not to murder my grip on too strong. Worst case is a 10 yard push, best case is a most acceptable draw.
In best part of 60 shots today, I only hit one "fade"-type shot, a 5 wood off the deck.
I'm loading into my right knee flex and bottoming out quite beautifully.....I hit some great shots with my 3 wood off a low tee and my 4 iron seems to have resumed normal business.
If only it was Friday tomorrow.... :)