tee shot nightmare

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
ok, after recently posting about my slicing woes with driver I have a similar issue that really wound me up today

apart from maybe 6 holes I duffed my tee shots, fat, thin, even skied 1 with 5 wood (using a tee that was impossible to sky with)

I have a feeling I am coming in too steep with woods and am rushing my shots trying for too much distance.

Has anyone had similar issues and if so how did you get around them?

what I have found is when taking my tee shot I take too long, if I just play it without thinking too much I do much better but then next tee I fanny about again and mess it up.

cost me at least 5-10 shots as my short game and approach shots were bang on generally.

Bloody game haha

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Keep an eye on your ball position Gibbo, for a wood off the tee the ball should be close to level with the inside heel of your left foot, if the ball position is too far back you may be attacking the ball from too steep an angle and this can lead to variable striking

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a feeling I have allowed myself to get overly concerned with my tee shots and worrying about distance too much instead of just playing the shot like any other.

How can I hit a 5 iron sweet off an unlevel lie within 6ft of the pin then duff a tee shot off a flat lie and raised off the deck haha

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Probably summed it up well yourself. You've had some issues and now you're thinking about it and becoming too tense and trying to manipulate the club instead of swinging it and letting it pick the ball on the way through. The simplest thing to do is not ground the club as you address it and take a waggle or too before you swing to keep the tension out of your arms and then trust what you've practiced

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I read a lot of the posts on here and its easy to over load the brain. Your bang on Homer, gonna goto the range tomorrow and try and practice what I think is wrong.

I know in reality I need a lesson or 3 but cash is tight at the mo, should I forgo a few range sessions for a lesson do you think, could hit 500 down the range and still be no better off lol

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find my tee shots are causing my loss of shots at the mo aswell G1BB0, I find if I'm slicing, I try and align my body to hang the shot to the left for the slice to bring it round - or drop the driver and tee off with a hybrid instead to get back confidence.

To combat it in the long run, I find taking your time really helps, and even slowing down the swing from start to finish, you may lose a bit of distance, but you hit a sweeter shot as your not thinking about hitting it to hard or worrying what your arms are doing.

Tee height also causes me issues, if I tee it to high I go straight underneath and sky it, so I'm trying to tee it a little lower, it hits a lower shot but goes straighter.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I know in reality I need a lesson or 3 but cash is tight at the mo, should I forgo a few range sessions for a lesson do you think, could hit 500 down the range and still be no better off lol

500 more shots ingraining a flawed technique seems a pointless exercise. My thought would be have one more session and focus on not ground the club and waggling and seeing if it relieves the tension and trust your swing to do the rest. If it is as bad as the other sessions then quit the range, save a few pennys and get a driver lesson. If you are playing in the meantime it coudl work one of two ways. The "no second chance" mentality of a proper round might make you focus and it clicks or you'll get even more tnese and worried about playing three off the tee or topping/slicing/hooking that you'll lose any natural tempo

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I get like this I pick a spot I can easily reach, say 150 yrds or so and then just try to reach it.It should fly past your target with ease. This gets your rythym back and you will soon be back to normal.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
are you still going over to N1 (?) at Beadlow? If so have a word with the pro and see if he does group sessions - share the pro for maybe a tenner.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
not been for a while Steve. No excuses really. Gonna have a word up at Chesfield as I have a 2 for 1 lesson voucher he said he will honour (even tho he had no idea about it lol)

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
the pro at my place is doing a series of Saturday morning group sessions. They start at 10.00 - I know driver is one that is planned in the next week or two - I'll find out when tomorrow.

TriggerTech

Head Pro
Visit site
Had a similar issue with tees.

Was using the Silver Castle Tees and skied a few - since dropping down to the Pinks the flight has totally changed and is also a lot straighter?

Just need to sort out the colour now!

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
dont start another issue for my meagre mind to contend with chaps - swing,stance, driver loft, shaft flex, tee height..... I just wanna be able to drive straight (ish) off the tee haha :)

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I cant believe you lot are still using Tee's with your Driver :D :D :D

Stick to you 7i for the penetrating 250yard flight that is the norm for members of this forum hahahaha

No in all seriousness, before teeing off take 3 deep breaths through your nose out your mouth, deep into your belly breaths. And give a few waggles to take the tension out of your forearms.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Steve, driver session is next week, March 19. There are a couple of places left.
If you want one phone 01480223004 and ask to be added to Martin's class.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Was using the Silver Castle Tees and skied a few - since dropping down to the Pinks the flight has totally changed and is also a lot straighter?

If you are worried about the colour you can buy the same height castle tees in Tesco but they are purple. Not great but a bit better

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you want one phone 01480223004 and ask to be added to Martin's class.

Homer's teaching golf now???

Project0-1.jpg

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
balls, working overtime next saturday, thanks for the heads up tho Steve. a mate is gonna come to the range with me next week and see if we can work on a few things, he is off 11 (used to be off 6 but kids etc means he rarely plays now) and rips the driver. whilst he aint a pro he already spotted a few errors on our last round together, nothing ventured etc :)

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk

If you are worried about the colour you can buy the same height castle tees in Tesco but they are purple. Not great but a bit better

No can do.

I'll be in Jamaica. While you're all getting your tee shots sorted, I'll be getting married in the sun.

Next chance of a lesson when I'm consistent with my 3 wood I'll give them a go. For now I stick with my 3 wood. Still managing to average over 200yds with my 3wood.