Tee of with driver

s1john

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, as stated my drives start straight and then arch off to the right, usually after about 80 - 100 yards :D, they dont start going left and then come back to the right.

I have taken onboard all comments and will be trying a few things at the range in the next week or 2 and will get myself booked in for some lessons ASAP

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, I think regardless of whether anyone should take advice from average players or not, essentially balls heading way off target are going to be some unpleasant consequence of dodgy swing path or face angle.
The good news for those that start the ball usually straight is that curing it is going to be less bad than worst case scenario. The problem with cutting across the ball (slicer's shot, out-in) is that the more you play/practice, the more you get into the habit of leaving the face open to compensate, unless you fix the path. It's the old chicken and egg argument.

Good luck.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally, I'd advise spending the money on lessons. You describe yourself in your signature as a "Total Beginner".

If you want to get the maximum enjoyment out of the game for the future, have some lessons and get the fundamentals right.

Once you've got the basics sorted, you're then in a position to really improve. Having spent some time hacking around, it ain't a lot of fun. A few lessons later and my swing is much better, much more consistent and I'm enjoying my golf a lot more.

I actually had a lesson yesterday and, simply by adjusting the position of the grip in my hands very slightly, I gained about 15-20 yards per club. I could have struggled for a very long time before putting that right on my own!

You can get some good deals with lessons (particularly if you book a package) and I'm willing to bet that, for most beginners, a £100 spent with a pro will reap far greater dividends than a £100 spent on a new driver.

Whatever you do, enjoy it!

Happy New Year!!!

s1john

Club Champion
Visit site
Ok got myself booked in for some lessons next month and after buying david leadbetters POSITIVE PRACTICE book I have noticed some errors in my grip, although it looks good from the front my overlap of fingers at the back is all wrong