Tee Height

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
there was a post in experts about the correct tee height, in older drivers i was always under the assumption that the correct height was so that half the ball sat above the face of the club so you hit it clean on the up swing. it seems alot of the newer drivers are designed to be hit with a lower tee position. the video link posted showed someone ripping a driver off the deck

The_LHC

Head Pro
Visit site
there was a post in experts about the correct tee height, in older drivers i was always under the assumption that the correct height was so that half the ball sat above the face of the club so you hit it clean on the up swing. it seems alot of the newer drivers are designed to be hit with a lower tee position. the video link posted showed someone ripping a driver off the deck

I understood this was still the case now, you should still be hitting the ball on the upswing. I don't believe driver design has changed much in the last 5 years or so. Most people I see playing are teeing the ball far too low with the driver and then wonder why they get no distance on it at all.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lhc, There was a great big discussion about how the sweetspot of a driver is now lower than older models or something which allows lower tee height for more penettrative ball flight. At the time I was swinging well (oh how I miss them days) and the next week I reduced my tee height by around 15-20mm with great results.

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Toby / Oddsocks,

I use a pink castle tee too, and I read the other thread!!

I don't claim to be a good golfer - anything but in fact so I don't care. If using a castle tee puts the ball at a consistent height and makes my game a tiny bit easier I'll live with the scorn of using a castle tee!!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Indeed Matty and I'd agree anything easier is good,

Now my good fellow on Saturday morning stand on the first tee, take that your pink tee out your pocket, have a throat clear and say the following

"My name is Matty and I use pink castle tee's"

You should be happy that you have come out and instantly feel like a weight has been lifted :D

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
With that constant tee height that the pink tee gives, you must be wearing a spot out on your driver. ;)

Damn your good.

I use normal wooden tees and manage to get the tee at roughly the same height every time. Then proceed to use most parts of the clubface to propel the ball forward(ish). :D

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd say the right height is however high the sweet spot is when it reaches the ball.

I agree.

In ref to the O.P. - too high is when the ball comes off the top of the face if you've put your normal swing on it.

My name is Dave and I use Pink Castles, and Silver ones, and even wooden tees too. I have a penchant for Blue Castles, red and orange as well. I use broken tees I find and have dabbled with zero friction and all sorts. I have issues. :eek:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Dave, you need help! Fetishes are one thing, but multicolour plastic castle tee fetish is just messed up. But I'm proud of you for coming out, your surrounded by friends who will help you through it.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dave, you need help! Fetishes are one thing, but multicolour plastic castle tee fetish is just messed up. But I'm proud of you for coming out, your surrounded by friends who will help you through it.

LOL. I feel better already. I must be a tee tart. :eek:

funkyfred

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Dont use a driver, instead I use a 3 wood. For the past 12 months I have been using broken tees. Went back to my red castle tees a fortnight ago and bingo, my driving has improved.
Strange game because I went to broken tees because I was driving so bad at the time. Obviously you see that I tee it very low.

The_LHC

Head Pro
Visit site
Lhc, There was a great big discussion about how the sweetspot of a driver is now lower than older models or something which allows lower tee height for more penettrative ball flight. At the time I was swinging well (oh how I miss them days) and the next week I reduced my tee height by around 15-20mm with great results.

Well, nobody invited me and I'm still seeing the same recommendations being made in the usual publications.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Matty, Dave there is light at the end of tunnel. just use the bio-degradable wooden tees with the coloured band and lo, you can tee to the same height everytime and feel good about yourself at the same time.

but as Robobum said, hitting it with the same part of the driver is the real issue.